I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Bloody GLS discs!

My front discs are F$<K3D. Again. I looked at them today and there's pretty heavy cementite deposits (looks like crackle finish paint!). The deposits are bad enough that they're starting to rub when the brakes aren't applied.

Why did mitsubishi save the few $ to use the old front disc on a heavier car. I can't have the only GLS that chews front discs can I? It's not driving style (very light on brakes, religious use of handbrake when at a stop).

So... what now:

1) get discs skimmed. If they're not skimmed deep enough the cementite won't be removed completely and the discs will rapidly go off again.

2) Accept that the GLS munches front discs, and get some cheap ones (£68, speedways.co.uk)

3) Hope that a better quality disc will solve the problem (£180, Brembo drilled)

Thankfully I've got a set of EBC greenstuff that I won in a competition waiting to be used, so whichever way I go I'll put in new pads and rebuild brakes with new high-temp grease for the pins. And a full complement of anti-rattle plates!

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    15-10-2013
    Country
    United States
    Car
    '12 Mustang V6

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Sibson

My front discs are F$<K3D. Again. I looked at them today and there's pretty heavy cementite deposits (looks like crackle finish paint!). The deposits are bad enough that they're starting to rub when the brakes aren't applied.

Why did mitsubishi save the few $ to use the old front disc on a heavier car. I can't have the only GLS that chews front discs can I? It's not driving style (very light on brakes, religious use of handbrake when at a stop).

So... what now:

1) get discs skimmed. If they're not skimmed deep enough the cementite won't be removed completely and the discs will rapidly go off again.

2) Accept that the GLS munches front discs, and get some cheap ones (£68, speedways.co.uk)

3) Hope that a better quality disc will solve the problem (£180, Brembo drilled)

Thankfully I've got a set of EBC greenstuff that I won in a competition waiting to be used, so whichever way I go I'll put in new pads and rebuild brakes with new high-temp grease for the pins. And a full complement of anti-rattle plates!
    no your not the only one with that problem. i went through many sets on my first GLS, and i replaced them on my last one. i was advised against green stuff for the galant, red stuff is more suitable. Parkers guide also lists the brakes as a common problem with the galant.
    try www.motorsportworld.co.uk. you can get black diamond, ebc etc, or look for Rossini discs (think they are from carpartsdirect.com). there is another thread about with a discussion on this.

Name
    Wouter
    Last Online
    25-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    01 White Legnum

I just changed the disks and pads from my Mazda... Mazda wanted to charge £170 for just the fronts...

Anyway I got some standard Brembo discs and pads for £95.

Why don't you check if Brembo do a standard relacement for the GLS.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead."

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Rikki - Currently have black diamond discs on there. They've only done about 17000 miles.

Wouter - see my GLS brake parts thread in the parts forum. There is a standard brembo part (09.7043.10) but it seems not to be available anywhere. The sport disc (FD 077.000) is available straight from brembo, but at &#163;180. They don't list the standard one.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

They've only done about 17000 miles
    How many miles do you want to do? that sounds like decent mileage to me?
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    15-10-2013
    Country
    United States
    Car
    '12 Mustang V6

Quote Originally Posted by WildCards
    How many miles do you want to do? that sounds like decent mileage to me?
    was thinking the same! MSW also do standard replacement discs by EBC i am sure. try www.europerformance.co.uk, they do brembo's n that, might do the standard ones.

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Steve - this is a plain vanilla family car, not a VR4. 17k is CRAP for a set of discs.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    15-10-2013
    Country
    United States
    Car
    '12 Mustang V6

Steve - this is a plain vanilla family car, not a VR4. 17k is CRAP for a set of discs.
    i have 10k out my old ones n they will need replaced in about 5k, i kinda thought 17k is good

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

I can Highly recommend EBC Turbo Groove Discs and Red Stuff Ceramic Pads for braking efficiency and wear characteristics.

My last set of TG Discs were on the car for 19 months and approximately 15000 miles. I used 1 set of Red Stuff Ceramics in this time and half a set of standard pads. The Discs only wore down by 17000ths of an inch. And awere still straight and true when i took them off. They did have the crazy paving effect on there surface but this did not affect braking in any way, shape or form. While they were mated to the Red Stuff Ceramics, i never once got any brake fade.
    I know the GLS discs are smaller, but the VR4 is a lot heavier and will be breaking from higher speeds a lot more to.
    Not sure if EBC do this set up for the GLS, but if they do, i would go for them

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Fair doos matey, but I have to say i've never managed more than 20k per pair of front discs in any car. Late breaking... meee... never

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    15-10-2013
    Country
    United States
    Car
    '12 Mustang V6

Quote Originally Posted by WODJNO
    I can Highly recommend EBC Turbo Groove Discs and Red Stuff Ceramic Pads for braking efficiency and wear characteristics.

My last set of TG Discs were on the car for 19 months and approximately 15000 miles. I used 1 set of Red Stuff Ceramics in this time and half a set of standard pads. The Discs only wore down by 17000ths of an inch. And awere still straight and true when i took them off. They did have the crazy paving effect on there surface but this did not affect braking in any way, shape or form. While they were mated to the Red Stuff Ceramics, i never once got any brake fade.
    I know the GLS discs are smaller, but the VR4 is a lot heavier and will be breaking from higher speeds a lot more to.
    Not sure if EBC do this set up for the GLS, but if they do, i would go for them
    yeah you can now get EBC TG for the GLS. only recently though. that was the reason i went for Rossini the last time, only other option was Black Diamond and i have never been a fan of them. MSW does them.

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Well, there's the difference... I brake very lightly, usually just backing off the throttle earlier instead. Guy I just spoke to at the motor factors couldn't believe that they'd specced a 256mm disc for the galant, especially when I told him it was an estate...

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

256 is bloody small, even my bus had 280's on the front.

Can you not get a brake upgrade from an evo <4 or something, might find something cheap-ish on ebay

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

That would cost me a fortune in insurance as it would count as a modification and I'm under 25.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

That would cost me a fortune in insurance as it would count as a modification and I'm under 25.
    Might not be that much as it isn't a power increasing mod, you might be surprised mate. Depends whether you can offset what you save on discs and pads to waht you spend on insurance.

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Possibly... the other thing that's just occured to me with that would be that the bigger discs and calipers almost certainly wouldn't fit under the 14" wheels.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    15-10-2013
    Country
    United States
    Car
    '12 Mustang V6

Possibly... the other thing that's just occured to me with that would be that the bigger discs and calipers almost certainly wouldn't fit under the 14" wheels.
    true! you could get the National's

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Problem Solved

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Mmmm, pre-buckled on a rim that's known to be made of cheese. Plus I think that would still count as a mod as they weren't offered on pre-facelift cars.

That, and I don't want 17s because of ride quality, tyre prices, etc...

Spending money to save money doesn't quite add up.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    15-10-2013
    Country
    United States
    Car
    '12 Mustang V6

Mmmm, pre-buckled on a rim that's known to be made of cheese. Plus I think that would still count as a mod as they weren't offered on pre-facelift cars.

That, and I don't want 17s because of ride quality, tyre prices, etc...

Spending money to save money doesn't quite add up.
    i would stick by just replacing the set, with nationals or whatever you can find to suit your budget. anywhere is cheaper than Mits though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast