M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

One thing you are all missing.
    Before you had your shiny 17/18 inch alloys you had smaller 16 inch wheels but the rolling road circumference is virtually the same as before you had larger walled tyres whereas with the larger alloy wheels you have smaller walled tyres so the overall wheel size has not changed or to any great degree.

Differences occur with different weights of wheel.

If the car was at a set speed with a set amount of power, the larger wheel would have to turn much less than a smaller wheel would have to, to reach the same destination.
    In other words, if you had a 17 inch wheel and you simply rolled it forward, it may turn only turn once to reach a distance of a meter, whereas a wheel the size of that used on a radio controlled car would have to turn a 100 times to reach a distance of one meter.
    However the smaller wheel doesn't require any where near the power a larger wheel needs to turn, so the larger the wheel the harder it is to turn which in theory will slow the wheel down considerably but then compared to a smaller wheel, it doesn't have to turn that far to reach a further distance, so if the gearing and the power is the same, smaller wheels will lose out to bigger wheels, acceleration is down to the power and how much distance you want to travel.

Could be talking from my arse and I probably missed a bit, but that sounds logical to me.

To clarify.. if you want to cover a distance of ' METER' the larger wheel doesn't need to travel as far as the smaller, so the larger reaches the '1 meter' distance first which consequently makes it faster to reach a METER.

Last Online
    05-04-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR4, FTO

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works here but a smaller wheel will give you greater acceleration due to increased mechanical efficiency on two levels. Firstly lower gearing means the engine revs rise more quickly moving faster into the band where more horsepower is being producedINSERT INTO post VALUES ( though this is offset by use of the clutch, what's that smell?, and as has been mentioned, the need to change gear more often as you run out of revs quicker). Secondly and more tellingly there is the greater mechanical advantage gained by changing the ratios, just as it is easier to accelerate your pushbike by selecting a larger toothed front sprocket, effectively the same as decreasing rear wheel diameter, so less effort is reqired for a given torque to overcome inertia over a shorter distance! Sorry when I started this I thought I could explain it clearly, I now see what a foolish notion that was. I will be back to answer any questions later . I have students waiting to be beaten up.
    Cheers VB

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

I understand perfectly, just couldn't get it down on paper INSERT INTO post VALUES (electronic paper)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12