03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

I run a blitz dsbc, (its what they call the sbc spec R now.)

Its fine to use, and produces stable boost for me, right up to 23psi. It will control actuators (as on std turbos) or wastegates if anyone has gone that far with aftermarket turbos.

The unit itself is said to handle up to 36psi boost.

My understanding of the advantage of dual solenoids over a single is that they can effectively 'pulse' twice as fast, meaning it gives a smoother curve.

It doesnt lose its settings when you you disconnect the battery, and you can control the rate of boost increase as well as the ultimate boost pressure. Some ebc's do this, some dont. It has all the usual warning features like it beeps if you exceed a set boost limit, and you can program it to reduce boost by a % if you do exceed that value. Lots of other ebc's do that too.

When i was getting it i was choosing between a Greddy, the Apexi avc-r and the Blitz. I went for the blitz because it offers direct control, ie i can define what i want to happen, it doesnt depend on a 'self learnt boost curve' as many of the Greddy units do, and although the apexi offers lots of cool features i really liked (eg boost variable by gear etc) it had a reputaion for spiking. The dsbc had a reputaion for a smooth curve (said to be due to the dual solenoids and hence faster pulsing) and higher boost capabilities as well as offering the warning/saftey capabilities.

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

Thanks for the info Ben.

I have just taken delivery of a GReddy PRofec B-spec II ...yippee!!

Now to the task of installing it. I have read the write up by Bern and I think I am up to the task. I am going to stick the unit in the cigarette holder on the right hand side of the console (I believe that this is a popular position).
    Hopefully I should get some time this weekend to attempt it, if not it will have to wait until next week and I am NOT a patient man.
    2014 Skoda Octavia 2.0 petrol Vrs estate
    2015 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 Tdi Bluemotion
    1971 BRG MGB Roadster
    1970 VW T2 Baywindow camper

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by colVR4
    if not it will have to wait until next week and I am NOT a patient man.
    Who isn't when there is more power screaming at you from a wee box on your table...

/Boost Controller Whispers..

"install me"
    "ill make you smile"
    "you know you wanna"
    "go, on... install me, let me make you happy"
    "ooooohh,, mmmmm more bar"

SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

I know...so much power from such a small box

The wife has gone to the gym so I have just over an hour to get it in......

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

Ok, took me a little longer than an hour, but it is in. I just have to hook up the power (need to find the soldering iron....I know its around somewhere....I only used it the other week......grrrrr) and then I can start to experiment.

Bern was not wrong about that little blighter of a spring clip down near the combined actuator rail thing. I am going to take it easy at first just to make sure that nothing is going to blow off, then its time to play

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

woohoo!! All installed and I have been playing to get the best settings from it. I have managed to play around enough to get a steady 0.95 bar with it only spiking to about 1.1 bar on WOT through the gears.

I haven't recorded a 0-60 yet but it feels a hell of a lot quicker and pulls so hard now from standstill. On the down side, all the playing has left me with an empty tank after only 130 miles.....ouch!!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Upping the boost really does help with that all important area between 3000rpm and 5000rpm where you do most of your normal driving doesn't it? Sounds like you had a lot of fun

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

oh I'm having fun alright. Already given a few cars a bit of a shock, wouldn't have dreamed of taking on a CL55 AMG before, but it took him a while to pull away from me

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    13-01-2012
    Country
    England
    Car
    V300TT

Come on colvr4.. get your 0-60 time up
    nice to see your having fun
    CLUBVR4RollingRoad Day part 2 was a great day out !!

PART 1-Click here ROLLING ROAD

Check out my ever changing VR4 here

To drive this car brings a wealth of happiness everyday. I feel like ive won the LOTTERY

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Excellent, theres nothing better than getting the boost up.. Only downside is going back to normal boost, its horrible.. the car feels so so slow..

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Col

Must admit that I'm looking forward to running with more boost very soon - clutch being fitted this week by WRD

Have fun

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

CRIKEY....

Had my first hose blow off on me. I was pulling past a Toyota Celica GT sommat (old shape) when there was a huge farting noise and a complete loss of boost. I was right cacking meself thinking I had overdone the boost, although it hadn't hit the limiter....

So, pulled over and lifted the bonnet and saw that the hard pipe to the throttle body had come off. Fortunately the rubber seal was still attached (just) and I managed to push the little blighter back on and get it to a garage that was 100m away and borrow a screwdriver to put it back on properly.

I think I may have just forgotten to tighten it up properly when I was fitting it all back together, but I most certainly will be checking EVERY hose before I put it on max chat again.....

I'm not going to post any 0-60 times until I am happy with the set-up of the boost controller. I am aiming for a sustained boost of 0.9 - 0.95 bar with the limited set to 1.1 bar. At the moment it is peaking around 1.15 but I think I can bring it under more control.

The hi settings that I have at the moment are:

set - 43%
    gain - 30%
    start boost (gain) - 0.85
    limiter - 1.10

Anyone else got some figures to compare these with so that I know I am on the right track?

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

oh the infamous pipe, ive popped that loads of times now, but im sure Glenn still holds the record, using wood to wedge it into place - I was thinking about inventing some kind of ring to put between the plastic, and the rubber to help grip it to the throttle body. but, ive been pretty lazy and not done much more than think about it

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Just some more info on the Blitz for anyone reading up.

They do two versions of the Dual SBC. The Spec S has a single solenoid and the Spec R has twin solenoids. I (and several others) have happily used the Spec S for over 2 years now on two different VR4's.

They are easy to set up (you can save 4 different settings), and I range from 0.8 to 1.0 bar. Sometimes get the odd spike but the safety cuts in and I just knock it back to one of my lower settings. The four settings are also useful when you get varying ambient temperatures which have a big effect. Recently at RT4 I forgot I only had the controller on my 2nd setting and was hitting 0.86 max, turned it up to my highest and stayed under 1.0 bar, but once the temperature drops it's easy to hit the safety.

And as Ben rightly said they do not lose their settings when you disconnect the battery.

Overall I would say they are excellent VFM, and the control unit fits nicely into the fag packet holder down by your right knee.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

I didn't look when it came off but, is there a lip on the throttle body? If there were a lip it would certainly help keep the pipe on. I am wondering if there is some way I could make a lip using a blummin big hammer around the edge

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by colVR4
    I didn't look when it came off but, is there a lip on the throttle body? If there were a lip it would certainly help keep the pipe on. I am wondering if there is some way I could make a lip using a blummin big hammer around the edge
    Just go to Machine Mart and purchase some of there Jubilee clips.. They are top quality and you can tighten them Crushingly tight with a socket without them twisting or breaking.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

Thumbs up Will do

Thanks for the tip Glenn.

By the way, there is a lip on the throttle body inlet, so a jubilee clip put on good and tight should hold it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    13-01-2012
    Country
    England
    Car
    V300TT

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit
    Just some more info on the Blitz for anyone reading up.

They do two versions of the Dual SBC. The Spec S has a single solenoid and the Spec R has twin solenoids. I (and several others) have happily used the Spec S for over 2 years now on two different VR4's.

They are easy to set up (you can save 4 different settings), and I range from 0.8 to 1.0 bar. Sometimes get the odd spike but the safety cuts in and I just knock it back to one of my lower settings. The four settings are also useful when you get varying ambient temperatures which have a big effect. Recently at RT4 I forgot I only had the controller on my 2nd setting and was hitting 0.86 max, turned it up to my highest and stayed under 1.0 bar, but once the temperature drops it's easy to hit the safety.

And as Ben rightly said they do not lose their settings when you disconnect the battery.

Overall I would say they are excellent VFM, and the control unit fits nicely into the fag packet holder down by your right knee.
    Good info pete
    Can i ask why the spec r is so much more expensive

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Literally for the twin solenoid feature, and of course will support higher boost - which we don't need.

On eBay you can get a Spec S for £176 and a Spec R for £225 (both plus P+P) - the seller is 5400rpm and I bought mine from him ......arrived in 3 days !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BLITZ-DUAL...QQcmdZViewItem

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

On the buttons. Spec R has dual solenoids allowing it to hold more boost and to be able to pulse faster. (each solenoid going at only half the speed required of a single).

Cheers,

Ben.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast