Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible coolant leak... or HGF...

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Possible coolant leak... or HGF...

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a problem with the car. It's nothing major yet but want to get some advice...

The first morning after picking up the car (last Friday) I checked all the levels and noted that the coolant level was a bit low - I had to put in about a 1/3 of a litre to top it up to the FULL line. It's worth noting at this point that this was done with the car parked on a very slight downhill...

Continued to monitor the coolant and it seemed ok but yesterday morning I did put in a little more - maybe a egg cup full.

Now, last night after I got home from a 20 mile round trip I noticed that there was a puddle under the car. I popped the bonnet and saw that the expansion tank cap had come loose and that the coolant level was right at the top and was overflowing.

I parked the car on the level and left it overnight. Checked the coolant this morning and it was down to the LOW line (which admittedly is not a lot between FULL and LOW on these cars). I have topped it up to the bottom of the arrows below the FULL line and will monitor it again.

The coolant is a bit off colour but I have no idea when it was last changed.

The oil looks fine. A bit black as it's been in there for around 4500 miles now. I am planning to do an oil change at the weekend.

Should I be worried???

Oh, and just to add to the woes, the exhaust has just started to blow a little again. It has been patched up before and Mitsubishi commented that it was corroded when they did the AYC fluid change 2 days ago... now I don't know whether to replace the exhaust with a stainless jobbie or save the money in case I have a big bill coming up...
    Last edited by White Lightning; 27-07-2006 at 01:11 PM.
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

what colour is the water?
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Quote Originally Posted by BraindG
    what colour is the water?
    It looks like it's a bit of a browny colour but the expansion bottle itself is quite discoloured so it's hard to tell. I guess I could get a syringe and suck some up...

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

i tried looking for the thread, but cannea see it.

Theres a thread somewhere, and im sure Amsoil made it. However it discusses the do's and don'ts of mixing coolants. which made me really paranoid.

Now, im not saying it is, or anything like that so don't panic. However you may have a couple blockages? perhaps running a few flushes with fresh water will help. Im not sure what the cleaning method was for these cases, and as i cant find the thread i cant say for sure.

Im sure someone will be along shortly, to either shoot down my theory, or add to it.

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

Doesn't sound like anything serious, an eggcupful is nothing really. If you had a leak or anything serious your levels would change quickly. As for the leak under the car this is probably only condensate from the A/C unit which is working hard in this heat - scared me the first time I noticed it.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

i tried looking for the thread, but cannea see it.

Theres a thread somewhere, and im sure Amsoil made it. However it discusses the do's and don'ts of mixing coolants. which made me really paranoid.

Now, im not saying it is, or anything like that so don't panic. However you may have a couple blockages? perhaps running a few flushes with fresh water will help. Im not sure what the cleaning method was for these cases, and as i cant find the thread i cant say for sure.

Im sure someone will be along shortly, to either shoot down my theory, or add to it.
    I have not added any coolant myself, only water but obviously I cannot say what has been done before. I had a look at doing a coolant flush the other night but there appears to be two drain plugs (one on each cylinder back) that look like they may be tricky to get out and refit i.e. thread lock and stuff required. But I would like to get the system flushed and get the expansion bottle cleaned so I can at least start from fresh.
    Last edited by White Lightning; 27-07-2006 at 01:12 PM.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Quote Originally Posted by MPBVr4
    Doesn't sound like anything serious, an eggcupful is nothing really. If you had a leak or anything serious your levels would change quickly. As for the leak under the car this is probably only condensate from the A/C unit which is working hard in this heat - scared me the first time I noticed it.
    The puddle was definately coolant. The air conditioning was off at the time - trying to save some petrol

Plus, the expansion tank was visibly overflowing.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Well, I think the expansion tank overflowing is nowt to worry about.... simply because you topped up the tank. So as soon as the engine gets hot and the cooling system starts to vent, it's just over-filling the tank. To be honest, I would keep an eye on the pressure cap on the rad - take that off, make sure there's plenty of water there (obvbiously, do this when cold!!) and that there's no gunge or nastiness there.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    Well, I think the expansion tank overflowing is nowt to worry about.... simply because you topped up the tank. So as soon as the engine gets hot and the cooling system starts to vent, it's just over-filling the tank. To be honest, I would keep an eye on the pressure cap on the rad - take that off, make sure there's plenty of water there (obvbiously, do this when cold!!) and that there's no gunge or nastiness there.
    Thanks Kieran. I'll try not too worry too much - I am always paranoid with cars, I think that comes from having run two Rovers LOL

I've taken the rad cap off when the engine was cold and there was plenty of water there and no obvious nasty stuff.

I think I am going to change the coolant out this weekend when I do the engine oil. Is it possible to fully flush / change the coolant without touching the drain plugs on the cylinder banks? i.e. can I flush by taking the bottom rad pipe off, removing the top rad pipe and flush the engine?

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Thats how I would do it - but Master Kieran has another method from memory.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

If the puddle is on the passenger side at the front, it could be your A/C, if you have had it on a ;ot it will cause condensation and drip, all perfectly natural.
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    If the puddle is on the passenger side at the front, it could be your A/C, if you have had it on a ;ot it will cause condensation and drip, all perfectly natural.
    You are making me think now... it was the front passenger side...

I thought I had the A/C off. Basically, I set the climate to 17 deg C and then pressed the little A/C button twice to get rid of the snowflake AUTO and snowflake ECO - this is with the A/C off right? I had the windows all down - so I hope it was...

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning
    You are making me think now... it was the front passenger side...

I thought I had the A/C off. Basically, I set the climate to 17 deg C and then pressed the little A/C button twice to get rid of the snowflake AUTO and snowflake ECO - this is with the A/C off right? I had the windows all down - so I hope it was...
    recycling, or taking the air from outside?

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

recycling, or taking the air from outside?
    Whatever is the default...

I think that's recycling

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning
    Whatever is the default...

I think that's recycling
    ill drive home like that tonight, when i finish work, see what happens.

Last Online
    16-07-2010
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    legnum vr4 type-s

had this problem myself recently when I found tiny amounts of white gunk on my my oil dipstick. I panicked and assumed head gasket so marked the coolant level, which had dropped the next time I checked it .

It turns out the gunk was due to condensation due to too many short runs, the engine not getting up to temp before being parked up again (the wife drives it less than 3 miles to work).

The coolant level will be different depending on when you check it, someone will probably tell us why, something to do with if its hot/ cold/ac on or off but as long as its between nin and max its ok.

It sounds like youve overfilled now which is why the header is overflowing.

hope this helps

edit/ oh and welcome to the club
    97 legnum vr4 type s

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Thanks for the responses guys

I checked the level again this morning. The level had dropped again and was midway between the FULL and LOW marks, and the expansion tank cap was loose again. Now, it's worth noting that I only did less than 20 miles yesterday - steady driving around town. I've put the cap back on and not topped it up for the moment.

Starting to get more worried again

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

I think you should get it flushed first, make sure there's no air locks and then see what happens. Your symptons are virtually the same as I had in Germany if you recall. Since we cleared the air lock in the hose to the top of the rad I have not lost any coolant in local driving, and that includes two motorway trips too.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

OK - I will crack on and do the coolant flush tomorrow. Can someone please advise the best way to flush the system and whether it's possible to do it properly without removing the drain plugs on the cylinder banks. I don't mind doing two or three flushes if that's what's needed.

Also, what's the best way to refill and avoid getting air locks. Is it just a case of filling the system very slowly? I have seen a bleed nut mentioned in the service manual. Any ideas where that is located?

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Might be worth calling Kev at AP Motors ? They should be open this evening after 8.30pm, or tomorrow morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast