Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeek / rattle from the cabin!!!!

Last Online
    22-12-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Squeek / rattle from the cabin!!!!

Anyone got any ideas!! My 2001 V6 Sport has developed a rattle / squeek. It's too weird. When I drive in a straight line the car only has road noise from the tyres. When I turn left the rattle starts. It's not a wheel bearing it sounds like a crickett!!, as soon as I straighten up again, the rattle stops!! It's literally driving me round the bend (ha ha). Anyone encountered this annoying squeek / rattle before? Could it be related to a bearing in the steering column? HELP!!!

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Membership ID
    NZ051
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 5 Spee
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by doherty
    Anyone got any ideas!! My 2001 V6 Sport has developed a rattle / squeek. It's too weird. When I drive in a straight line the car only has road noise from the tyres. When I turn left the rattle starts. It's not a wheel bearing it sounds like a crickett!!, as soon as I straighten up again, the rattle stops!! It's literally driving me round the bend (ha ha). Anyone encountered this annoying squeek / rattle before? Could it be related to a bearing in the steering column? HELP!!!

Bizarre The only thing i can think of would be to check the wheel arch liners are secure, mine would come off and rub when i turned at speed, but i wouldnt call it a squeek..

..havent run over any birds lately?

Last Online
    01-09-2007
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    25ST

Does your speed affect how fast your 'cricket' is chirping? And do your brakes squeek when lightly braking? It could be that something has gotten between your brake pads and rotors ???

Or could it possibly be your power steering pump or belts associated with it? Try turning the wheel both directions when at a standstill to see if something happens.

As for the wheel gaurds popping off and rubbing on your tyres I had a ripper idea for fixing that CABLE TIES Had the same problem once before but not anymore

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

If you lightly brake on a bend when its squeaking does it make any difference?
    No longer empty and frantic...

Last Online
    22-12-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

The noise is definitely coming from the cabin!! It's only audible on left turns. As I travel along in a straight line there is nothing, turning right is fine too. As soon as I start to turn left it's there!! This noise sounds like it's associated to steering but sounds nothing like a slipping belt. It's a low clicking / crickett sound. If it was something loose then I'd hear it all the time. HELP!!

Last Online
    22-12-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

I've not tried the brakes while cornering to see if it effects the noise. I'll give it a go this evening. I'm convinced it's not brake related though.

Cheers

Martin.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Most of the dash is clipped together as well as screwed. It could be a panel that is not as tight as the rest, or not seated properly. Can you get a friendly passenger to push against various dash panels as you are cornering left?

Last Online
    22-12-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

If it was a panel though, wouldn't it rattle all the time? I've tried the fried driving while I push against the dash panels, but to no avail!! Perhaps I should try it again though!!

Cheers

Martin.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

If it was a panel though, wouldn't it rattle all the time? I've tried the fried driving while I push against the dash panels, but to no avail!! Perhaps I should try it again though!!

Cheers

Martin.
    It could still be a panel.. As you turn a corner your chassis twists.. Only a Tad , but could be enough to seperate a panel a fraction and make a rattle !

Name
    Whenz
    Last Online
    04-02-2020
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori

same issue im having at the moment... i know what it is. its a panel thats snapped by the wheel guard. not that much of a worry, but is very annoying.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

don't worry i have had an annoying rattle in mine for ages , i have looked every where to find it and no joy , so instead i use the little knob alpine fiited for just such an occurance , turn it up to 11 and the rattle will be gone

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

try looking at you parcel tray. i had a sim noise and it was the parcel tray tapping against the rear window as the car flexed around corners! i wedged some foam in there and it shut it the hell up

Last Online
    01-09-2007
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    25ST

Do you often use products to polish your dash/vinyl etc? Usually this stuff makes things squeek and rattle after a while but usually not while it's fresh.

It's gotta be the gap between panels rubbing together. My car is lowered a tad so gets a bit bumpy which sets off such rubbing panels. Recent addition of a big bore has resulted in HEAPS more rattles. Most notably from the edges around the air vents.

Plus how do crickets make their noise? They rub their wings together! Same as rubbing panels I guess

Last Online
    01-09-2007
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    25ST

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru ETA
    try looking at you parcel tray. i had a sim noise and it was the parcel tray tapping against the rear window as the car flexed around corners! i wedged some foam in there and it shut it the hell up
    LOL I had a mate who jammed a pair of jandals between his window and parcel tray. Man was he proud!

Last Online
    22-12-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Hey everyone. This Club really kicks ass. Lots of good points for me to go on. Now for me to have another check of the car and see if any work. Keep 'em coming and I'll post the solution if I get it.

CHEERS FELLA'S.

Last Online
    24-11-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

I too am currently experiencing something like this from my car.

Does it sound a bit like a ball or marble rolling to one side? Mine sounds like its coming from the automatic transmission lever

Last Online
    22-12-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

It sounds like a crickett's chirp!?!? Turn the wheel left on the move and it starts. I'm convinced it's a steering related issue!!

Martin.

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

theres only one thing for it, get your wife / GF / mate / random stranger a go to an empty industrial estate, get them to either drive round in circles or go round a roundabout with you listening for the squeaks rattles and hums, feel free to thump any panels to see if that kills the noise...

have fun

Last Online
    01-09-2007
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    25ST

Quote Originally Posted by gtz101
    Does it sound a bit like a ball or marble rolling to one side? Mine sounds like its coming from the automatic transmission lever
    Ooh this jogs a memory, when I first got the car it was fresh from japan. Had an annoying rattle for ages! Eventually found this little penguin toy thing underneath the passenger seat which contained a large ball bearing to make it wobble around funny. Kinda like those magic beans if anyone remembers what they are.

Maybe you could check under the carpets underneath your seats? There's slits in the carpet so things can fall in there easily.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

Get your tie rods checked out, both the inner and outer balls joiints. This is the noise that I had when mine started to go. The grease eventually dries up inside them and, at first, they will start to squeak slightly, which could sound like a cricket.

Because of where they are situated, near the centre of the car directly beneath the dash, it may sound like that is where the sound is coming from. Local garage should be able to check them out for nothing, just a case of jacking it up and rocking the wheels.
    2014 Skoda Octavia 2.0 petrol Vrs estate
    2015 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 Tdi Bluemotion
    1971 BRG MGB Roadster
    1970 VW T2 Baywindow camper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast