Thread: TCL OFF light and engine warning light

Last Online
    28-08-2006
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

TCL OFF light and engine warning light

I have a 1997 VR4 Legnum, these lights keep coming up. It is very random though, not on all the time. Now I know absolutely NOTHING about cars, but I spoke to the dealer that I got it off and he said that the battery had gone flat in the yard, and must have interferred with thecomputer or something. I'm not sure about that, souds like a bit of a lie to me.

Should I go to Mitsi to get it checked out? How much will this cost me?

Any help would be fantastic - thanks!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Very common problem. A number of issues cause it, most common is the Vac Pipes falling of the traction control unit canister in the engine bay. Search the forums for something like 'TCL off' and you'll find loads of info about this problem!

And, by the way -

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Kieran's probalby right, my suggestion would be to take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

Just make sure when the warning lights are on when you go there and keep the engine running until you get the dealer to put on their diagnostic equipment. Switching off the car will reset the diagnostics computer again and the fault code will be lost.

When I did for my problem it was found to be a Fuel Solenoid fault and cost under $200 to repair.

Do not ignore these warnings as it may lead to other more expnsive faults down the line.
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a VR-4, around corners at speed. But it costs see here

Last Online
    01-09-2007
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    25ST

Sounds a bit shady him saying something like that so yeah as above I'd definately take it back to them and get them to sort it. Don't let em tell you otherwise, remember you were the PAYING CUSTOMER.

I was a fool to ignore an odd shudder coming from my transmission straight after I bought it. Turned out to be an expensive job but luckily warranty covered it so I was lucky. Bought it in Wellington but live in Auckland so didn't bother taking matters any further. Better to be on the safe side

Last Online
    28-08-2006
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

Thanks very much guys, I think I have it figured out, If not I will take it in to Mitsi to get it sorted for me (when the lights are on of course). I bought the car in Auckland and I live in the North, so will take it to the local guys first, then if it is something serious I will take it back to the dealer - or at least get him to pay for it. I too have mechanical warranty, so surely if it does end up costing a truckload I can use that anyway.

I will let you guys know how it goes anyway, I appreciate your help! Thanks

Katherine

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

You may want to join us at our meet we have on Sept 16 and meet the rest of the members in person.

You could also join up for Full Membership then too (only NZ$30). There a lot of good articles in the Members section of the forum.

Last Online
    20-05-2010
    Country
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    Very common problem. A number of issues cause it, most common is the Vac Pipes falling of the traction control unit canister in the engine bay. Search the forums for something like 'TCL off' and you'll find loads of info about this problem!

And, by the way -
    Fixed my problem. Hasn't shown up since

Last Online
    01-09-2007
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    25ST

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiTT
    You may want to join us at our meet we have on Sept 16 and meet the rest of the members in person.

You could also join up for Full Membership then too (only NZ$30). There a lot of good articles in the Members section of the forum.
    *nudge nudge, wink wink*