Steve
    Last Online
    08-06-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '99 Ralliart VR

Question Security and headunits and portable satnav

It seems that the portable Sat Nav units are the must grab item for the criminals roaming our streets at the moment - I know of two colleagues cars that have been broken into one because the unit was on display the other because the scumbags saw the dashmount and thought the unit might be in the glovebox.

Whats the general perception for car theft in the UK at the moment? I'm thinking Sat Nav units are going to be an easier (therefore more popular) target than headunits.

Are double-din headunits less attractive still? Or is it very much the case that if the thief thinks they have the time they'll go for anything?

What do you lot think?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

My car was broken into twice in Erdington for my double-din. Both times they didn't get it, although they did break the screen folding mechanism. Both times it was cheaper for me to repair the HU myself than to pay an excess to the insurance for a new one.

Moral? They'll try and nick it, but it don't slide out like a single din unit! (It bolts in behind the dash, then you clip the dash back on over the top!)

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I have a sony portable unit and always remove the cradle and wipe the area of the windscreen where the sticky goes .
    The reason behind wiping is that a friend of mine had his TomTom stolen from his car because the dickhead could see one had been on there and broke in on the off chance . it was the police who told him about them looking for sucker marks .

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    29-09-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    v6 sport

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter_John
    The reason behind wiping is that a friend of mine had his TomTom stolen from his car because the dickhead could see one had been on there and broke in on the off chance . it was the police who told him about them looking for sucker marks .
    Police told me about sucker marks after my tom tom went walkies out of firms van!!

I did make it too easy for the bar stewards tho, tom tom in window and cab door not locked