Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Rear suspension height not level

I noticed yesterday that my AYC light(s) seemed to be coming on more regularly than normal - like they were more sensitive. So, on the way home today I thought - I'll check my tyre pressures, I've seen posts about that causing problems... However, when I got home, I noticed my nearside rear suspension was sitting low. I did the fingers test and I can get three fingers between the O/S/R tyre and the arch but it's a struggle to just get two fingers in the gap on the passenger side. I am guessing this is the cause for the AYC to be more sensitive as the car is not balanced.

I have not looked underneath but I am guessing this may be due to a failed shock absorber or bush. What do you reckon?

TIA
    Wayne

P.S. there was nothing in the boot...
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Did you Check your Tyre Pressures ??

If not i would say you prolly got a Flatty

I had a Near Flatty once and it gave the exact symptoms you are describing !!

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning
    I noticed yesterday that my AYC light(s) seemed to be coming on more regularly than normal - like they were more sensitive. So, on the way home today I thought - I'll check my tyre pressures, I've seen posts about that causing problems... However, when I got home, I noticed my nearside rear suspension was sitting low. I did the fingers test and I can get three fingers between the O/S/R tyre and the arch but it's a struggle to just get two fingers in the gap on the passenger side. I am guessing this is the cause for the AYC to be more sensitive as the car is not balanced.

I have not looked underneath but I am guessing this may be due to a failed shock absorber or bush. What do you reckon?

TIA
    Wayne

P.S. there was nothing in the boot...

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Quote Originally Posted by WODJNO
    Did you Check your Tyre Pressures ??

If not i would say you prolly got a Flatty

I had a Near Flatty once and it gave the exact symptoms you are describing !!
    no - I didn't actually. I will do it first thing in the morning. I didn't notice the tyre being partically flat though - but it's definately worth checking!

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

no - I didn't actually. I will do it first thing in the morning. I didn't notice the tyre being partically flat though - but it's definately worth checking!
    No, Neither did I !! The suspension somehow takes the weight from the otherside of the car and the tyre does not flatten as you would expect..

I like you, was thinking that suspension had broke

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

oh, that would be a result

I've already got a clonking from the front that I need to look at so I'm hoping I've not got any issues on the rear too...

Cheers mate...

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

What better excuse to lower it ?

Only kidding mate. Hope it's as Glenn has suggested.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit
    What better excuse to lower it ?

Only kidding mate. Hope it's as Glenn has suggested.
    I did actually say to Kate , "it looks much better at that height" and she agreed

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Got some standard springs kicking around if you need them.....but I think the rear shocks were weeping........don't forget to speak to Mo if you need rears....or just get new of course

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Membership ID
    NZ051
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 5 Spee
    My Garage
    Visit

Hmmm, iv noticed the same thing (this afternoon ironically), my drivers side rear is sitting about 10/15mm lower with no one in it. I have leaking shocks all round, and so the car is handling like **** anyway, but i am experiencing a similar trigger-happy AYC.

I'll hopefully be able to get some adjustables, but i'd be really keen to hear what it is when you find out.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Checked my tyre pressures on the way home tonight and these were the results:

N/S/F: 32psi
    O/S/F: 32psi
    N/S/R: 32psi
    O/S/R: 13psi

Nice one Glenn, you were spot on with that suggestion (have a rep point on me)

I'm shocked how low it was and I didn't realise

However, my suspension is still at the same height as it was yesterday. I've only driven about a mile or so from the petrol station to home. Does it take time for the suspension to reset or something - is there some *magic* controlling the ride height on these cars?

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Glad you got it sorted

Suppose it depends how long it's been like that ? Give it a good drive on some Bumpy and Twisty Roads.. Give it a bit of OOOOoooomph It should settle it back to Normal

Checked my tyre pressures on the way home tonight and these were the results:

N/S/F: 32psi
    O/S/F: 32psi
    N/S/R: 32psi
    O/S/R: 13psi

Nice one Glenn, you were spot on with that suggestion (have a rep point on me)

I'm shocked how low it was and I didn't realise

However, my suspension is still at the same height as it was yesterday. I've only driven about a mile or so from the petrol station to home. Does it take time for the suspension to reset or something - is there some *magic* controlling the ride height on these cars?

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Also suggested to Wayne he jacks both rear sides up so both wheels are hanging for a while and then let them down together.

Knowing Wayne though he will go with option 1 tonight.....so if you're in Bracknell watch out for a white blur going around the roundabouts

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit
    Also suggested to Wayne he jacks both rear sides up so both wheels are hanging for a while and then let them down together.

Knowing Wayne though he will go with option 1 tonight.....so if you're in Bracknell watch out for a white blur going around the roundabouts
    Option 2 is only for Members who live in "Central Londons Congestion Charging Area"

Shame on you Pete Suggesting to Jack Up a VR4 so it's High and Dry

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Well, this is back again...

Noticed last night that the front of the car was not level so decided to check my tyres pressures this morning. They were all reasonably OK - between 30-33psi. Got them all back to 34psi just in case. Have taken the car out lunchtime and gone around a few of Bracknell's roundabouts at speed and it's made no difference.

I have not checked with a tape measure but a rough estimate (using my mobile as a measuring device) shows:

Distance between top of tyre and wheelarch:

approx. 10mm more on one side than the other at the front
    approx. 20mm more on one side that the other at the rear

So, the whole car looks a bit "on the p*ss"

I guess this suggests that there is an issue with the rear suspension. What ever it is it will have to wait until after Xmas but any ideas what I should look for ?

Leaking shock? Knackered bush?

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Just parked the car up in the garage (on level ground) and measured the distance between the wheelarch and the garage floor on each wheel:

Front O/S : 69.1cm
    Front N/S : 68.3cm

Rear O/S : 68.0cm
    Rear N/S : 67.6cm

So a difference of 8mm at the front and 4mm at the rear. Not as bad as I thought but still not right. The tyres are all the same make and the same age so there should be no great difference there...

Funny thing is, it looks worse to me looking at the front of the car. But I guess that's a combination of my snooker player's eye and being a bloody perfectionist

Name
    Dan
    Last Online
    14-03-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4

Thats not a huge differnece and one thing to bear in mind is the fact the car tries to sit level due to the CoG and if your drive is not 100% level ou will have different gaps. I was paraniod about this on my cars and then I realised my drive is not level.

Reverse your car up the drive and re-check to see if you get different results but the other way around... if you see wot I mean? spirit level on the drive?...

failing that check for broken springs or that slidey problem SGHOM had when he was called something different when his front shock slid through the hub carrier...

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Tried what you suggested Dan and parked the car the other way around tonight. Results were as follows:

Front O/S : 69.0cm
    Front N/S : 68.0cm

Rear N/S : 67.5cm

So a difference of 10mm at the front and 5mm at the rear. And the O/S is still higher than the N/S so the car is definately listing over a bit. I guess I'll have to get underneath at some point and try and work out what is going on ...

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Hmmm... I wonder if the rubber mounts that cushion your springs against the strut top plates are missing - they're about a centimetre and a bit thick...

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Tried what you suggested Dan and parked the car the other way around tonight. Results were as follows:

Front O/S : 69.0cm
    Front N/S : 68.0cm

Rear N/S : 67.5cm

So a difference of 10mm at the front and 5mm at the rear. And the O/S is still higher than the N/S so the car is definately listing over a bit. I guess I'll have to get underneath at some point and try and work out what is going on ...
    Maybe it's time for you to find a track drive on that go's Anti Clockwise for a change

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

He could be the first VR-Nascar Or maybe he's got a fat person on the nearside hiding somewhere in the car?

It seems to be worse at the front, so I would guess there is a need to start looking at the front first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast