Thread: Difference in prices of parts ... is it worth it?

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Difference in prices of parts ... is it worth it?

As some of you may know, my VR-4 is in need of some work following the weekend's fun:

I have been getting some prices for the parts that I need and I am staggered (although not too surprised) between the prices that Camskill charge for parts and the Mitsubishi main dealer:

Basically, I am going to need (at least); water pump, cambelt, cambelt tensioner (recommended) and idler pulley (recommended)

Camskill prices:

Water Pump: £48.00
    Cambelt: £62.00
    or Cambelt kit (includes cambelt, tensioner, alt belt, p/s belt): £89.00
    Centre Idler Pulley Wheel: £25.00

Mitsubishi (Reading):

Water pump £130.33
    Cam belt £88.65
    Tensioner arm £52.01, Special Order 10-14 days *is this needed*
    Tensioner adjuster £107.75 *I assume this is the pulley*
    Pulley £37.32

Has anyone used Camskill for these parts? How do they compare to the genuine Mitsi parts in terms of quality?

I am tempted to go for the Mitsi water pump and cambelt but at £219 versus £110 (for just those two parts) I want to be sure it's worth it ...
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Name
    DeK
    Last Online
    03-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    6Gee n VW4mo

Camskill tend to sell genuine Mitsu parts; I am not sure how they get these parts tho

The part numbers match up to Mitsu parts database and these numbers can found stamped on the actual items. The packaging is also genuine mistu too!

Sorry to hear about your car on saturday, I made it to the stand just as everyone was leaving!

I hope you get the car running again soon...

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    01-05-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    XF V8 & Shogun

They are the same parts, Camskill buy them direct from Mitsubishi in bulk.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Quote Originally Posted by Axeboy
    Thanks for the replies guys.

If that's definately the case, it looks like I'll be going the Camskill route

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Same with Blueprint parts, same part numbers on them just different packaging.......robbing b**tard dealers

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Quote Originally Posted by Axeboy
    Hmmm interesting that. Wasn,t aware that was the case....................Result

Last Online
    24-12-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr-4 legnum

yes camskill are mitishi part or should i say my power steering Tensioner pully was the belt was different makebut look great belt tho and fast delivery on the items aswell next day after i oldered on line

darren

please can someone give me some reputation points as i not got any all reallY

come check out my website i have done for my local club i belong too at

darren1978@blueyonder.co.uk

club mobile no. 07716619320

hope to see you soon

Name
    James
    Last Online
    15-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Old VR4 Owner

As my Mitsy service manager told me once (overly generously as I haven't been back there since): Mitsy dealers hike up the prices on parts by at least 40%, that's where they break even. Go with camskill blueprint parts as everyone has said, they're the same thing save for the price tag.

Hope you get sorted Wayne, didn't catch you before you left the hotel - I didn't realise (durrrrrrr) you had a problem until the AA man arrived. I should have figured it out when I past you on the M1 doing 40, but I thought you were just saving petrol ( ). One of these days I'll pay attention, but there's only so many brain cells left to kill these days. Nice to see the car - looked absolutely cracking, brought many happy memories back for me.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo
    As my Mitsy service manager told me once (overly generously as I haven't been back there since): Mitsy dealers hike up the prices on parts by at least 40%, that's where they break even. Go with camskill blueprint parts as everyone has said, they're the same thing save for the price tag.

Hope you get sorted Wayne, didn't catch you before you left the hotel - I didn't realise (durrrrrrr) you had a problem until the AA man arrived. I should have figured it out when I past you on the M1 doing 40, but I thought you were just saving petrol ( ). One of these days I'll pay attention, but there's only so many brain cells left to kill these days. Nice to see the car - looked absolutely cracking, brought many happy memories back for me.
    Looks like Camskill it is then

No worries Jimbo. It was good to see you again. I tried to say goodbye to everyone but I think I missed a few.

I was actually doing around 48 - 50 mph on the M1! Basically, as slow as I could really get away with. I had some motorway traffic officer behind me for a while so I could not go any slower for fear of being pulled over. I was actually tempted (for a moment) to try and limp all the way home. But after about 10-15 miles, the water pump (?!?) was sounding really bad so decided to go back to plan A and call the AA.

The AA bloke was quite cool, he thought we were going home to Cornwall as my address is still down as my parent's house on their records. When he found out it was Bracknell he tried to do a sneeky one and let them assume he was going to Cornwall so he could knock off early. The whole thing backfired on him though when the head office asked him to "double up" and collect a car that was going to Bridgwater

Still, as I was concerned about the car getting scraped, he even let me back it off the low loader - which was nice of him.