Thread: Looking for 1990 galant mods

Last Online
    27-03-2004
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1990 2.0 Galant GLSI

Looking for 1990 galant mods

Hi everyone im new to the vr4 site hoping to find some mods for my old galant.I have a 1990 galant glsi 2litre that is all standard engine wise and was wondering if i could get any parts to give it a bit more power.
    Nty2k.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi - Welcome to Club VR-4 :harro:

Whopee! Another GLS owner - Good choice mate!!!:thumb1:
    You could do worse than to have a word with Japmetal, one of our members. He's got a 1990 Galant GTi 4WD 4WS, and has been busy modding it... He's probably got more knowledge of the 6th Generation Galant than the rest of us

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

Best not to mod that engine. The DOHC-16v, could be a better unit. You could try an engine swap. INSERT INTO post VALUES (115bhp vs 143bhp, standard). They still use this derivatives of this block in the latest EVOs, I think.

see here for some ideas.

It may be better to hold your cash for a VR-4 and get a full 260/280 bhp +
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a VR-4, around corners at speed. But it costs see here

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    1990 Galant GTi 4WD

Hi there ! I heard my name mentioned so I thought I'd have a nosey

Unfortunately, they're right about the SOHC; there are no mods out there beyond the basic or universal stuff really - the same also goes for the DOHC non-turbo, although alot of the turbo stuff is compatible.

The best bet is to slip in a 6-bolt 4G63 from pretty much any Mitsubishi-badged 2.0 Turbo built between 1989 [the first Galant VR4] and 1993 [the end of the 2g Eclipse & Galant VR4] OR a beasty Evolution engine from either the I, II or III [they changed the layout & spun the engine 180 degrees for the IV, so anything after this wont fit the hole without ALOT of custom work]

These engines were actually used in our Galants, so everything should line up [you may need some custom exhaust bits] altho you'll also need the wiring loom & ECU from the donor-vehicle to make it work. Once you manage this, there's a whole range of tuning parts available since you're then dipping into the same modding pool as that other favourite, the Evolution :cool1:

Styling-wise we're not much better off either, with pretty much the only 'off-the-shelf' mod out there [besides wheels & a few suspension choices] being to fit clear front indicators from a JDM Galant of the same age !

I've got a few custom ideas of my own for my hatchback, but I'm keeping these very much under my hat for the moment !

Japmetal@clubvr4.com
    "It's not a Ford - The doors FIT !"

Last Online
    27-03-2004
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1990 2.0 Galant GLSI

My old Galant

Thanks for the replys,much appriciated.Well now i know there aint no mods for my enine i will end the hunt.Mine is neering 150.000 miles now so a gti engine could be on the way.Anybody know how much the engines go for or where to look for one.Also would it be a case of old 2 litre engine out and new gti engine in?or is it going to be a nightmare to do.Cheers