Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Sound Deadening Pics

I finally started my sound deadening, only at the boot stage at the moment. Im planning to finish the boot and do the rear seat area tomorrow. Over the next few weeks im looking to do the roof, doors, and the whole floor as a minimum.

Some Pics, before and after:

Galant 2.5 V6 24v Elegance 2003

Blistein B12 Suspension Kit, Short Shifter, VR4 Front Strut Bar, Rear Spoiler, Amsoil Oil & Filter, Wind Deflectors, Sound Deadened, Stainless Steel Door Sill, Black Diamond Rear Brakes Discs & Pads, Headlight HID Kit, ICPC & ICE, Custom Centre Console - 8" Touchscreen LCD
    & DVD slot loader.

Last Online
    22-11-2017
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    R34 GTT

Good job there mate. What stuff are you using? Have recently bought some Dynamat to line the cockpit, to try and soften the road noise a little. It's just quite expensive to buy enough to do the whole job.

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Yeah Dynamat is expensive if you want to do the whole car. I purchased my sound deadening from ebay. Its basically the same stuff as dynamat but made by a US company R-BLOX (www.r-blox.com). Dont know if you know of it, I didnt.

I purchased 2 x 100 SQ Foot packs, each pack contains 2 x 50sq foot rolls. They claim that you can do a whole car with one 100 SQ FT pack. The second pack is for my cousins IS200. In total both packs costs £160.00. So It cost £80 each.

"Dynamat" for my whole car cost WAY too much, I think I saw a boot pack for £90, and i wasnt even sure it will do the galants boot, seeing it was soo big!

I still think I may need more of this R-blox stuff as my roof and car floor is doing to take a lot of it.. but I dont think the seller is selling anymore. I will find out.
    Last edited by n13l pm; 08-10-2006 at 12:30 AM.

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Im after some DYNAMAT 'DynaShield' Spray or any other sort of sound deadening spray, anyone know of a cheap supplier as I need about about 6 cans (not just for my car).

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

How many kit kats did you need to eat to do the boot??
    No longer empty and frantic...

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Joker

I managed to work on it more on sunday and have done the rear seat area. il be posting up new pictures tonight.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by n13l pm
    Joker

I managed to work on it more on sunday and have done the rear seat area. il be posting up new pictures tonight.
    Can you Re-Post the Pics please

I'm having trouble hearing them

Last Online
    04-01-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Lexus IS200

Nice one Neil,

Well done on getting so much done in such a short space of time.

I really didn't think you'd be able to get all that done over this weekend, but you proved me wrong!!

On a different note, your car is so much easier to sound deaden than mine! AND YOU KNOW IT!

:: IS200 SE :: Light Smoke Tints All Round :: Lexus Rear Spoiler w/ LED Brake Light :: PIAA Plasma Spark Main Driving Lights :: PIAA X-Force High Beam :: Voltage Stabilizer & Grounding Kit :: Smooth Black Calipers & Chrome Lexus Emblems :: Sunroof & Wingmirror Autoclosure :: Snooper S4 Neo with RLD100 Radar Laser Detector :: TTE Coilovers (currently -40mm) :: TTE Front Bumper :: 2004+ Spec Headlamps :: Toms Style Eyelids :: Front Parking Sensors with LCD :: Beige Tanned Foldable Arm Rest :: Blue LED Dash Conversion :: Front Aluminium Strut Brace :: B&M Short Shifter :: TTE Grand Prix (Silver) Wheels ::

www.nirajpopat.com

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

The rear seat area pictures.. (my bad I didnt take before photos)

Name
    Stephen
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    BMW 323i MSport

Nice job!

Has it made an obvious difference to cabin noise?

All that material is quite heavy?

Cheers,
    scc

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Iv not had a chance to drive the car since sunday as I have to use the tube to go work, when I take it out for spin il let you know. I know Niraj who has also sound deaden his IS200 to the same stage says there is a noticeable difference to the cabin noise. But I notice our galants came with a lot more factory fitted sound deadening then the Lex. My aim of the sound deadening is for the sound system which would of rocked the car if it was with the stock set up.

As for the weight I think the total sound deadening will be about 35kg for the whole car. Which is a fair bit, but im not a racer like most of you lot on clubvr4! And I guess its one of those things where you have to lose sumthing in order to gain sumthing.

On another note I managed to talk to my link on the R-BLOX (www.r-blox.com) stuff. His said he will be able to get more sound deadening but he is not in the country till 1st Nov. If any body is interested let me know.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

mmmm, extra weight, decreased economy and acceleration. You must be nuts. Wouldn't have been cheaper and easier to just buy some ear muffs, or turn your radio up a notch?
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Im really in to in-car audio and my past cars have all had some good audio set ups but lack of sound deadening in the car has always let it down. This time I wanted to put effort in to the install and do the best I can.

Its only 35kg yeah, which is less then half the weight of a man! But still I guess if I was driving it to and from work I would lose out on economy a minor bit and acceleration, not that I look to kane it off the line at ever traffic light. But as I dont drive to work and only use it socially it isnt really going to make much of an affect to me.

Last Online
    08-08-2007
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR-4 Legnum

yeah but how much extra weight are you going to put in with amps cables caps subs etc. 35 kg is not much for a nice sounding car. And audio cars aren't supposed tp be fuel efficient.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I guess it all comes down to what you're trying to do with your car. I want mine to be fast, so I'm getting as much weight out of it as possible with things like forged 17" wheels, removing the spare wheel, putting the batteries in the boot for better weight distribution, putting on a fibreglass bonnet, bumper, side skirts and rear bumper, the standard bonnet must weigh about 20-25kg, the fibreglass one is only about 7kg

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Yeah I guess it all depends on what your going to do with your car. Im going for a In-car Entertainment project, with in-CarPC and a solid sound system. Yeah the amps, sub, and extra battery is going to add weight, but at least once its done there wont be many other galants which sound like mines..

On another note I like your bonnet Bradc. I need to get myself one. Looks really good. Have you had a chance to spray it up yet?

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I haven't had the car for 6 months getting all the ecu work done to it, I'll get it all painted eventually

Name
    Whenz
    Last Online
    04-02-2020
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori

im after a bit of both. entertainment when me and the family travels. and a bitta speed off the line, not worried about on the open road. just enough to leave others at the back of me. which isnt a problem at the moment, but a bit more wouldnt hurt.
    VR-4

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    08-06-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '99 Ralliart VR

n131 - have you finished/driven recently?

What do you reckon to the end result - did it work?

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

I went to Bournemouth this weekend and I noticed afair bit of reduction on the road noise. I havnt finished the sound deadening on the whole car, Iv only done the rear end (as shown in the photos), yet to do the front, doors and roof.

I havnt yet finished the moulding of my centre console for my CarPc screen but once thats done the computer will be ready to put in and thats when il sound deaden the front of the car. Ill keep you updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast