Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

Hello!

Hi,

I've just recently joined the forum as I am intersted in buying a VR4 saloon. On looking into it I found an Advert on ebay about your site.
    I live near Newport in south Wales and currently have a highly modified (forged engine with big turbo, drive train mods mainly) 400bhp rover

I'm trying to get some info on what I can do to the car once I buy it if I like it once I go to see it. Not sure why but everytime I try to look at things on here that I think will be useful to me and give me extra persuasion (such as the article on fitting boost controller(I have an Apexi AVCR sat here waiting shoudl I need it) it says that I do not have permission to read it, how do I get permission then ?

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

To view the members section you need to pay a yearly fee of 20 pounds , well worth , if you select clubvr4 drop down up top and there is a join club selection

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Podman
    Hi,

I've just recently joined the forum as I am intersted in buying a VR4 saloon. On looking into it I found an Advert on ebay about your site.
    I live near Newport in south Wales and currently have a highly modified (forged engine with big turbo, drive train mods mainly) 400bhp rover

I'm trying to get some info on what I can do to the car once I buy it if I like it once I go to see it. Not sure why but everytime I try to look at things on here that I think will be useful to me and give me extra persuasion (such as the article on fitting boost controller(I have an Apexi AVCR sat here waiting shoudl I need it) it says that I do not have permission to read it, how do I get permission then ?
    Hi

Welcome to the Club

You can do most of what you have done to your Rover.

Single Turbo conversion and larger Twin Turbo conversions have been done by club members
    Electronic or manual boost Controller can be fitted to raise standard boost from approx 7-8psi to 14psi.
    Piggyback ECU to alter fuel, timing etc.
    FMIC
    De-Cat
    More free flowing exhaust
    Uprated brakes. If facelift car then easy upgrade to Brembo's
    Hard pipe hit for Bloating Turbo pipes
    etc etc etc.

All the Juicy Info is via Membership. A paltry £20 that will pay for itself 100 times over.. Hope this helps some

EDIT: Oh Yes ! And a few Members have also Fitted Nitrous to there cars with good effect
    Last edited by Wodjno; 20-10-2006 at 09:17 PM.

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

Guess I better fork out the 20 quid !

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome! Most info is around, try searching. Members have access to the library and members articles. Between us we are trying to put together all the info on the VR4. We are not quite there yet, but we have a lot of info already.

As said above: Exhaust, boost controller and piggyback should get you well into the low 300's. Mid 300's are possible with a very good set up. To move to 400's you either need a 75 (or more!) shot of laughing gas, or bigger turbos. Our turbos are too small to get the flow required for much over 350.

People have run 330ish plus 100 of nos, on standard internals and drivetrain, so not sure when internals are required yet!

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

If I were adding just exhaust air filter and Apexi AVCR what kinda boost can the engine handle ? How are they on fueling and standard mapping ? what is the boost limit of teh standard map ?

Thanks for the info by teh way. Looks like I shall be buying on esoon the more I hear about them !

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    People have run 330ish plus 100 of nos, on standard internals and drivetrain, so not sure when internals are required yet!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Many people run around 0.9bar with no mapping. Boost cut is the problem when you hit the limits of the standard map - the ecu freaks 'cause it thinks you are leaning out, so cuts fuel. The cars run rich as standard, so there is a safety margin on just upping boost. I would personally recommend a piggyback and tune up, just 'cause it improved mine so much from when it wasn't set up properly!

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

What sort of ecu's and costs are involved ? I have just sold of a DTA S60 ECU taht used to run my car so I'll be gutte dif I have to buy another one similar and pay top whack lol

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

The piggy back ones cost around 500 quid(unichip) , or you could go the whole hog and get a Link g2 but expect around at least 1500 with setup

From what I recall both Derek ( SGHOM) and Nick Mann use the unichip method , Glen ( WODJNO) uses an Greddy Ultimate which he has mapped himself

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    08-06-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '99 Ralliart VR

Hi Podman,

As said before hope you enjoy the site.

We are fortunate to have some very capable members when it comes to the mechanical side of things, as you're begining to find we don't have masses of bolt-on goodies available to us. There a probably a dozen or so UK members who have invested considerable time, money and effort into improving the performance of their own VR4s, and they share their findings to the benefit of us all. All told a beneficial and very friendly club to be a member of.

Steve

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Quote Originally Posted by Brunty
    . All told a beneficial and very friendly club to be a member of.

Steve
    you been drinking again Steve ??

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

What sort of ecu's and costs are involved ? I have just sold of a DTA S60 ECU taht used to run my car so I'll be gutte dif I have to buy another one similar and pay top whack lol
    Piggy back ECU's can range from a couple of Hundred to a Grand.
    E-manage Blue and Ultimate will give you what you need and these can be had for less than £200 for 2nd hand Blue and £400 for the a New Ultimate.

I'm running an Ultimate and so is Valmes. ( And so should 'The Vee' be, once he pulls his finger out) Pezza, BigDaveakers and Bonsai boy are running Blues.

See here for all info on these. http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/index.html

There are other options but i'll have to leave that for other members to quote on

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by SGHOM
    you been drinking again Steve ??
    Are you not Drinking Derek

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

having come from the rover community I am well accustomed to cars with few, if any bolt on goodies, unfortunately with rovers they are also week engine and rarely hold more than 50bhp above standard. idea of this car is Jap reliability and strength yet still a challange to upgrade without having to go whole hig with forged internals. Piggy back ecu's I have never used before so I'm kinda in the dark with them, I just sold my dta ecu which could happily have run this engine for 400 quid, wishing I hadn't now. Although I'm sure building the loom would have been a nightmare on one of these.

All in all I want around 350 - 400 bhp reliable power from one of these things which from replies is not to costly at all. Really am looking forward to getting my hands dirty on this one. If I can get 400bhp from my rover (which I still have the turbo from ) then these should be a relaxing change to mod without hammering the life out of my wallet. Rover cost me more money than I care to think about, block/head alone cost me 7k. This car is to keep my bank manager happy and stop me having to spend so much. It will be my first 4wd. Let the fun begin !!!!! lol

Seems like a nice small, but friendly community that I am looking forward to getting into and learning from.

Thanks for all your replies

Huw.

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by WODJNO
    Piggy back ECU's can range from a couple of Hundred to a Grand.
    E-manage Blue and Ultimate will give you what you need and these can be had for less than £200 for 2nd hand Blue and £400 for the a New Ultimate.

I'm running an Ultimate and so is Valmes. ( And so should 'The Vee' be, once he pulls his finger out) Pezza, BigDaveakers and Bonsai boy are running Blues.

See here for all info on these. http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/index.html

There are other options but i'll have to leave that for other members to quote on

do these things require looms to be made up or are they available off the shelf to fit ?

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

All in all I want around 350 - 400 bhp reliable power from one of these things Huw.
    that may be a tad optimistic. 300 maybe. just buy one & enjoy the amazing amount of grip they have on a track. in the right hands, they will outhandle a skyline.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

7k? Feck! Some outline prices:

Exhaust, cat back, custom stainless £450.
    Boost controoler Free! You've already got one!
    Piggyback - Unichip will do it if you want to pay someone to tune - approx £600 installed and set up. EManage better if you want to set up yourself - £200ish to buy.
    Intercooler - how much do you want to spend?!
    Evo Brembos - £500 should get a full 2nd hand set in good serviceable condition. (That's 4 calipers, 4 discs, all pads.)
    Evo wheels to put them behind, again, good condition second hand - £400.

That should give a fun, enjoyable, reliable 330bhp.

If you want 400 bhp, then you are talking turbo upgrades, so the money starts shooting skywards! You'll also need at least an uprated fuel pump and fpr to fuel 400 bhp. Any more than that and you will also need bigger injectors. At that point, your 7k is probably a budget quote!!

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

do these things require looms to be made up or are they available off the shelf to fit ?
    They come complete with wiring harnesses that need to be cut and spliced into the standard ECU loom. Not as difficult as it sounds, just a case of matching the wires from the e-manage to the ecu. As far a i know Myself, BDA, Valmes and Pezza all fitted theres themselves.(And Tuned)
    All the relevent ECU pinouts and wiring colours are available on site.

By the way ! What rover was it that you had ?

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

Started life as a rover 620ti. Ended up as a never ending money pit with a 2.2 totally forged engine with flowed and ported head and a t30 turbo with a flow rate of over 400bhp (about 460 estimated). Real sleeper of a thing. I have kept a few items I thought maybe universal such as the avcr. Top speed was around 175 on road and did 211 on rollers (non standard ratios of course) buyt it's biggest fall down was traction, front wheel drive even with the racelogic traction control system I installed just didnt work at all till you were already doing high speeds which is no good on normal roads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast