Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Podman
    Started life as a rover 620ti. Ended up as a never ending money pit with a 2.2 totally forged engine with flowed and ported head and a t30 turbo with a flow rate of over 400bhp (about 460 estimated). Real sleeper of a thing. I have kept a few items I thought maybe universal such as the avcr. Top speed was around 175 on road and did 211 on rollers (non standard ratios of course) buyt it's biggest fall down was traction, front wheel drive even with the racelogic traction control system I installed just didnt work at all till you were already doing high speeds which is no good on normal roads.
    Had a Ti myself as did a few other VR4 owners( 3 i think) Only had it running at 230bhp, but that was enough through the fronts with no aftermarket TC. Suppose you had a lot of dealings with Motobuild then
    Wasn't Green was it

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

nope,nothing from motobodge. All came from www.gb-ent.com

Good bloke who knows his stuff with engines.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Can't really add much as Derek, Glenn and Nick have taken care of it all - other than to say to ClubVR-4 and hope you enjoy the place - We like to think we're a friendly and helpful bunch of peeps!

The big thing with the VR-4 is the grip. The AYC finds grip at speeds where most other cars would be presenting you with a choice of roadside objects to plough into! Certainly, the experience won't be as raw and visceral as I imagine your Rover is (Still a T-Series block?), but they are still a deceptively quick car as standard and they do respond well to modifications. As others have said, 300~330bhp is possible without major wallet surgery, above that you start to max out the teeny-tiny TD03 turbos we have - though with the right mods they will hang on to about 1.1/1.2 bar before they start melting things!

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    Can't really add much as Derek, Glenn and Nick have taken care of it all - other than to say to ClubVR-4 and hope you enjoy the place - We like to think we're a friendly and helpful bunch of peeps!

The big thing with the VR-4 is the grip. The AYC finds grip at speeds where most other cars would be presenting you with a choice of roadside objects to plough into! Certainly, the experience won't be as raw and visceral as I imagine your Rover is (Still a T-Series block?), but they are still a deceptively quick car as standard and they do respond well to modifications. As others have said, 300~330bhp is possible without major wallet surgery, above that you start to max out the teeny-tiny TD03 turbos we have - though with the right mods they will hang on to about 1.1/1.2 bar before they start melting things!

Yes it was still a t series block, but had been bored out given forged pistons (ceramic coated) steel rods and a stroked forged crank. interestingg to drive to say the least.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Yes it was still a t series block, but had been bored out given forged pistons (ceramic coated) steel rods and a stroked forged crank. interestingg to drive to say the least.
    No Mahle (chocalate) ones in there then ?

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

no I didn't have mahle pistons as the car was to new. did origionally have the "chocolate" pistons though. Don't think they'd have lasted long having 1.7bar banged through em though.

Engine was string as hell once finished, shame teh handling was not upto the power of the engine. 4wd looses a shed load of power by the time it gets to the wheels, but at least it grips to make up for the loss. Having never really had a 4wd car before I don't quite know what to expect from it day in day out kina thing. My biggets winge on the Ti was most definately handling performance. No amount of polly bushes, coilovers sticky tyres and traction control could make it handle like I would have liked. The VR4 should really impress me by the sounds. REALLY looking forward to getting the VR4 now. I don't really think the lesser power is gonna bother me that much. Handling is what I have craved for a while now.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

I certainly don't think your going to have a lack of power

The biggest thing you might have a problem with though is 1 thing that hasn't been mentioned

Fuel consumption

They drink more than Derek(SGHOM)

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

I think I still have this hanging around somewhere

Would that kind of intercooler find a home on a VR4 or is there not the space behind a standard bumper ?

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

I think I still have this hanging around somewhere

Would that kind of intercooler find a home on a VR4 or is there not the space behind a standard bumper ?
    Pics not uploading, so can't see what you have posted.

I have a 600x300x100 inercooler that fits snug. Is the one your trying to post larger than that ??

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by WODJNO
    I certainly don't think your going to have a lack of power

The biggest thing you might have a problem with though is 1 thing that hasn't been mentioned

Fuel consumption

They drink more than Derek(SGHOM)

And you think a 400bhp rover didn't ???? lol

I have not really worried about fuel consumption, as long as it does early to mid 20's say to day without htrashing thats good enough for me

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

And you think a 400bhp rover didn't ???? lol

I have not really worried about fuel consumption, as long as it does early to mid 20's say to day without htrashing thats good enough for me
    i normally average around 13 to 15mpg day to day driving .. I've averaged as low as 9mpg on a full tank. And on track you can go sub 5mpg

Best i had was around 28mpg.. But that was totally boring

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

Yike !!!! how the hell can a 400bhp rover average better than a 280bhp mitsi !!!! something seriosuly up there.

on average over a tank going back and for to work and a bit of playing about in teh 7.5k revs region I used to get around 22mpg over a tank.

Hmm..... thats quite heavy fuel consumption then.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Yike !!!! how the hell can a 400bhp rover average better than a 280bhp mitsi !!!! something seriosuly up there.

on average over a tank going back and for to work and a bit of playing about in teh 7.5k revs region I used to get around 22mpg over a tank.

Hmm..... thats quite heavy fuel consumption then.
    Don't think mines quite 280

Round the Nurburgring, i couldn't manage 4 full laps without getting fuel starvation Thats approx 52mls. Divide that by 12 gallons

Extra weight and driving 4 wheels adds to the consumption !

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom

on average teh rover did about 200 miles on a tank of 60 litres. So I guess not to far out really. Did as much as 300 on long (and I mean long !) runs of cruising at 75- 80 mph.

Don't sound all that differnt really. I'm considering a 2 nd car for back and for work anyway. Driving a rover 400 diesel at teh mo. Been using it all week and haven't had to refil the tank yet, although I'm sur ethe novelty of good fuel consumption will wear off and I'll end up taking teh VR4 to work now and again.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

, although I'm sur ethe novelty of good fuel consumption will wear off and I'll end up taking teh VR4 to work now and again.
    I know exactly what you mean there

I drive a Pug 106 back and forth to work. 105mile round trip. If i did the daily commute in the VR4 it would cost me around 8-10k a year.(and thats if nothing broke)
    It doesn't even cost me 2 gallons of fuel in the Pug. But as you say, temptation is always the And a full tank of petrol can be reduced to edging on the redline of the fuel gauge after a Weak moment and a few cars to play with on my Journey to and From Work

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

[QUOTE=

I'm running an Ultimate and so is Valmes. ( And so should 'The Vee' be, once he pulls his finger out) Pezza, BigDaveakers and Bonsai boy are running Blues.

QUOTE]

Sorry (where's the blushing smilie when you want it!!)

But welcome to the site Podman, a finer bunch of peeps you will not meet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12