Thread: stuck in third

Last Online
    24-10-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    gto and vr4

stuck in third

yesterday started out on a 12 mile trip in auto got to 3rd gear didnt want to go into 4th took it to 6500rpm then droped right back took it back up to 6500 still no change tried this a few more times then gave up put it into manual worked perfectly for the rest of journey going home put it in auto worked fine i havent tried it today yet anybody else had this problem

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by david
    yesterday started out on a 12 mile trip in auto got to 3rd gear didnt want to go into 4th took it to 6500rpm then droped right back took it back up to 6500 still no change tried this a few more times then gave up put it into manual worked perfectly for the rest of journey going home put it in auto worked fine i havent tried it today yet anybody else had this problem
    From what you've said, I assume the following...

In full auto ('D' mode), it goes from 1-->2-->3 as normal but no further. If you put it into Tiptronic, you can make it go all the way from 1--->5. Correct?

If you can answer these questions, it'll help us to pinpoint the possible cause.

Does the gearbox downshift okay in 'D' mode?

Was the 'N' light flashing whilst it was in 'D' mode?

Any harshness, jolting or thumping when the box changes gear in either 'D' or tip mode?

Have you checked your ATF level? To do this, you need to get the fluid warmed up - run around for 10 mins, then park up, leave the engine RUNNING and cycle through all your gears... P>R>N>D>1>2 and back to 'N'. With the gearbox in 'N' and the car still running, check the dipstick for fluid level. If it's either under or overfilled, it'll be causing problems!

Also - ATF condition. Wipe the dipstick on a clean piece of white kitchen paper. It should be a nice red colour. If it's reddy/brown, brown gritty or smells like burned toast, your ATF needs changing.

Hope this helps - update us with your findings and we'll try to suggest some more things to do!

Last Online
    24-10-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    gto and vr4

re stuck in third

hthanks kieran yes in auto it stoped at 3rd changes down perfectly in drive (auto) N light has never flashed (it is on) in any mode the box changes instantly and smoothly i will check the level and condition again i checked it only a couple of weeks ago and it was fine ive had the car for about 9mths since ive had it the 4th and5th gearlights on the dashhave not changed in relation to the gears have always been a bit behind i will try the vr again tomorow used the gto today thanks again

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Kierans spot on, take it to WRD and get them to change the gearbox oil and see what happens.

Have you ever changed it since you've had the car?

Last Online
    24-10-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    gto and vr4

thanks i will change the oil and filter and let you know the outcome

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

this sounds a strange one no N light changing well apart from not going past 3rd.

if it was the atf it would go in to safe mod, 3rd gear (and stay there) N light flashing.
    It would also not change gear in tip.

this sounds more like a signal fault engine ,wheals, gear box not talking to each other properly.

pop it down to mitsi and get a mutII on it get a fault code.

then look in to the prob from there.