Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the market

Last Online
    11-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom

In the market

Hi guys,
    I've wanted a VR4 for quite a few years now and finally i've got the cash (burning a hole in my pocket) to get a decent car.

Problem is that there are a few cars that i'm interested in and i wanted to know your opinions on how the VR4 compares with the others on my list.

Here goes:
    VR4 obviously...
    Subaru Impreza
    Mitsubishi Evo 5
    BMW M3

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Compared to the Impreza and EVO 5 the VR-4 is going to be a little bit slower at high rpm's, but has a lot more power down low and very little turbo lag. It is a larger car than both of those, and is much more comfortable too.

The M3 is a quite different animal, it isn't as quick as the VR-4 and is only RWD.

Name
    Robin
    Last Online
    19-10-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Seat Toledo

Depends what you want from it really. I went VR4 because it's also got to double as a family workhorse. If it was just out and out fun I'd have gone for an E30 M3 (although finding a good one takes a bit of dedication).

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The Evo/Imprezza are more raw. The VR4 is far more comfortable for family/trips out, but nearly as capable as the smaller rally cars.

The M3 is different again, but you will get no-where near as much for your money. VR4's win by a mile over all the models you have mentioned on value for money, and IMO only the BMW looks as good.

The VR4 will give you the best bang per buck, with shedloads of traction, good aggerssive looks without being in your face, comfort and versatility. All the other cars can do some of those things, but none of them can do all.

Last Online
    11-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom

Thanks fellas,
    The only other thing that worries me about the VR4 is the cost of servicing and parts if anything were to go wrong, obviously to replace the two turbo's rather than the one on most other cars.

Are spares available 'off the shelf' from Mitsubishi dealers or on the net?

I'm only hazzarding a guess that they cost more to maintain than an Impreza?

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

That used to be a big problem in the UK, but due to this club servicing and parts prices won't be a problem at all.

For parts we have Super Mo Zedy1 who has a huge Galant Spares operation running, and for servicing there are the guys at WRD who will not only do a great job but charge you much much less than any dealer would.

The turbos don't go very often anyway, the 2 areas of concern are auto boxes and the ayc unit. Most of the time the auto boxes are kept happy by changing the fluid regularly with 'amsoil' and installing a transmission cooler, and most AYC problems are able to be fixed fairly cheaply anyway.

Impreza's tend to be more expensive to service little things on like spark plugs because their cylinders were installed the wrong way around at the factory. You have to remove the whole engine to install the plugs

Last Online
    11-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom

Starting to sound more and more appealing.
    I'm very interested in Brunty's car.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

If I did not have one I would be looking at brunty's car as it is a very nice car

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

ive done work on steves car and drove it i can hand on hart say that it is a good car there are 1or 2 minner isues but steve will tell you about them.

Last Online
    11-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom

1 or 2 minor issues!?
    Hasn't mentioned anything.
    For that sort of money it'd have to be spot on really

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom
    1 or 2 minor issues!?
    they really are minor issues , that car is worth a lot more than steve is selling it for , and trust me it is a pearler , if i had the cash kicking about i would bite his hand off

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    08-06-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '99 Ralliart VR

Smile

1 or 2 minor issues!?
    AFAIK the 'minor issues' are cosmetic, worn drivers seat bolster (common problem), stone chips on lower spoiler (common problem), graze on rear wheel arch (delights of city living). Have been quoted £280 for resolving the paintwork issues.

The price reflects the fact that I am in no rush to get rid of it (am interested in a fellow club members VR4). Besides the three facelift VR4 saloons on Autotrader have all been discussed extensively on here, one at £10,450 and two less well cared for examples at £5 and £6k.

Just to confirm, because I've just realised the for sale thread differs from the classified ad, I'm after £7,500.

Name
    Lorraine
    Last Online
    20-05-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ToyotaMR2GTI-16

1 or 2 minor issues!?
    As the other guys have said....... Brunty's car is a real peach and it is going way cheaper than it should be IMHO.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    08-06-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '99 Ralliart VR

Without wishing to turn this into Bruntys for sale thread....

Recent VR4 vs. Evo vs. Impreza third party comparison

Podman decided to get an Evo (6 I think) after viewing mine, I doubt he comes on here anymore now he's got his car. Personally I thought he found the smooth but rapid progress of the VR4 at odds with what he was expecting and probably felt the car was slower than it is. His experience was of a powerful FWD and I think this also translated into how he drove the car on the testdrive, not getting the best from the huge amounts of traction available. He obviously preferred the more aggressive and raw Evo.

His mate (an Impreza owner) sat in the back throughout and was much more impressed with the performance. He better understood how an AWD car handles and responds and I felt he came away from the testdrive with a much improved impression of the VR4 - and of course he was dead comfy throughout 'cos of all the legroom in the back

Incidentally the car has been improved (grip ^ and road noise v) with four new tyres since that testdrive.

Hope this helps.

Last Online
    11-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom

Thanks for your comments guys and Brunty, sorry if i come across like a bit of a prick but I have 'myself in mind' if you know what i mean, don't wanna part with what is alot of cash for me, on something that i'm not 100% sure/happy about.

FYI your car does look very good and I am very very interested... just have to make my god damn mind up!

Are there any pro's/con's to owning an import Legnum VR4 over the UK Ralliart supplied Galant VR4?

I think i prefer the Legnums but for some unknown reason find the prospect of owning an import a bit daunting.

Whats the deal with service history/underseal prior to them being imported?

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    08-06-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '99 Ralliart VR

Thanks for your comments guys and Brunty, sorry if i come across like a bit of a prick but I have 'myself in mind' if you know what i mean, don't wanna part with what is alot of cash for me, on something that i'm not 100% sure/happy about.
    Not at all mate. VR4s (like all the cars you mention) might not be expensive cars to purchase but they will be expensive to run; so getting it right first time is important.

I've dropped you a PM by the way.

Name
    Lorraine
    Last Online
    20-05-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ToyotaMR2GTI-16

I think there are pros/cons with buying any used car. At least if you buy one from a club member you can at the very least know that it has been owned and loved and normally taken very good car off.

Brunty's car has been serviced very regularly by our very own WRD thus having a good service history, but if you are looking at having a leggie that has just been imported then you run the risk of it being abused before import.

Best thing in my opinion ( not that it counts for much being of the female persuasion) is have a really good look around and don't buy on impulse then you shouldn't go too far wrong. If you have any problems or need help in any way then I am sure that someone on here will be willing to give you any advice you need.

It's always best to err on the side of caution than to regret it later. legnums are great cars...we have one, but then so are the Galant VR4s. Maybe you should try both on a test drive to give you a better idea on your needs. Just a thought and good luck in finding your dream car.

Last Online
    11-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom

Brunty... no PM showed up?

I have actually test drove a Legnum, was about 2 years ago and i would have bought it but the engine management light was on, it didn't have much history and he wasn't prepared to negosiate on price.
    Lovely car to drive (was driving a 230bhp rear-wheel drive Nissan at the time) and it felt so much more classy, smooth and stable. Didn't feel too much quicker although it obviously was, but i put that down to the comfort.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Apologies if I have misunderstood, but it sounds like you have the wrong end of the stick on the naming front. All saloons are Galants, wether UK or JDM. The UK call the estate (imginatively!) the Galant estate, but the Japanese called it the Legnum. So the only car you will find badged as Legnum are estates built for the Japanese market. Hope that is followable!! It does get even more complicated, but that's the bare bones of it.

Last Online
    11-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom

Yeah i know the import estates are the Legnums and the UK estates are the Galant Estate.
    Did it come across that i didn't know what i was talking about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast