Thread: Headlight problem still continuing

Last Online
    24-11-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

Quote Originally Posted by Exbury
    Sounds more like it on price, relays do occassionally go bad sometimes, doubt it would be the indicator stalk as it seems to be doing its job (but is possible).

Actually, the indicator stalk probably has a plug connector to the wiring harness, if you could identify this and unplug it, and still get the problem its more likely the relay than the switch. Suggest contact someone who breaks Mitsi's and get a 2nd hand relay you need (as a know working one). At least you will be able to eliminate or sort your problems out for limited dosh.
    Ok sure. btw: where would the relay box for the headlights be located in the engine?

and how do we take it out?

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    24-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    02 16v Classic

Right, lets try and put this to bed......

1st - check under the bonnet (thats the big black thing you can see over the steering wheel ) and see if by any chance you have these two relay boxes bolted to the wing (the dotted lines)

If these are present then you do indeed have 'daytime running lamps' ie the headlamps will automatically come on with the igniton....... something I have never seen before

if not..... the relay switches are in the covered fuse box in the engine bay, just above the battery, it has a handy map on the cover so you will know which relay / fuse does what.... take the cover off (2 press in clips either side) - you will notice that many of the relays ARE THE SAME - they just pull out vertically with a bit of force - swap with another non vital one (suggest central locking) and test it with that

I have just had a look at my cars, my facelift has MB629085 for several relays - my dead pre facelift has MR588567 as the part number but they appear to be the same - well I just swapped them and didn't blow up anyway.......

You say both the front and rear lights come on with the ignition?? if so it is unlikley to be relay related as they are switched by 2 relays?????
    Last edited by g6acb; 08-01-2007 at 12:08 AM.

Last Online
    24-11-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

Quote Originally Posted by g6acb
    if not..... the relay switches are in the covered fuse box in the engine bay, just above the battery, it has a handy map on the cover so you will know which relay / fuse does what.... take the cover off (2 press in clips either side) - you will notice that many of the relays ARE THE SAME - they just pull out vertically with a bit of force - swap with another non vital one (suggest central locking) and test it with that

the relay switches in the fuse box are all the same? Some of them have different part codes written on them but would the lights work if I take the existing one out and replace with one of the other relay switches in the fuse box?

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    24-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    02 16v Classic

Quote Originally Posted by gtz101
    the relay switches in the fuse box are all the same? Some of them have different part codes written on them but would the lights work if I take the existing one out and replace with one of the other relay switches in the fuse box?
    Not all the relays are the same, but there should be 4 or 5 the same.... the ones nearest to the headlamp relay are (from memory) for the central locking and aircon and on both my cars are the same relay.... bear in mind that I have a different car to you so if yours is any different explain how (pictures are good!) and we will see if we can work through the problem.....

.... will the lights work if you replace the relay?.... well, finding out is kind of the point of the exercise, is it not??

Did you check for the two boxes on the drivers side wing - like the first diagram ?????????

Last Online
    24-11-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

I didn't see any double black boxes anywhere.

I have managed to take some quick pictures (see below - you might need to double click to zoom in for detail). I was wondering if someone could point out with arrows which one is for the headlight (high/low beam). please

I don't have a replacement so I suppose I will need to pull an existing one out from there so again if somebody could advise which one would be best to pull out and test. I know Nutter John said earlier try central locking one, which one is that and will it mess up C/L ?

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    24-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    02 16v Classic

relays are letters, fuses are numbers - relay for headlights is 'E' - would suggest exchanging it for any relay that has the same part number and is 'none vital' for example 'G' which controls the horn - as long as it is the same part number (it is in my car)

this will test to see if the relay is at fault for the lights comming on

Can you confirm if the rear lights come on when you turn ignition as well as the fronts?? - 'cause if they do it is unlikley to be relay related

Last Online
    24-11-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

only the rear brake lights show up with Ignition on.

Ok so Letter E from the diagram controls high/low beam?

What about those that have both letters and numbers? E.g. theres about 6 relays with MB629085 written on it in my fuse box.
    Last edited by MGV6; 07-01-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    24-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    02 16v Classic

'E' is headlights, 'D' is main beam i think

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

Right, following a request from GTZ i've looked under the bonnet and the piture below should clarify everything ( I hope!)
    All 7 relays circled in red are the same, looking at the fusebox cover it looks like the two we're most interested in are 'D' and 'E'?
    Details on the relays:-

Relay
    MB629085
    156700-0780
    12v
    Denso

Hope this helps

BTW My car is a 2000 post facelift v6sport with the same bumper lights etc as GTZ101
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No longer empty and frantic...

Last Online
    24-11-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

Perfect!

I will work on it tommorrow afternoon and I will provide feedback on here in the evening.

Thanks for the input guys

I will put in the horn relay and carry out the tests.

Last Online
    23-08-2009
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4/5gt turbo

I know this post is years old, but i now have the same problem and this didn't appear to be solved!

Ive had my Legnum VR4, 1997 pre-facelift R reg, nearly 6 months now, an amazing car and loved to bits but noticed the other night the headlights turned on by themselves while i was driving, not on the stalk just on the dash! It was starting to get dark when this happened. Full headlights not sidelights. When i stopped i checked the back lights and they were on as well, indicator stalk still saying set to 0. Since then its only turned them off at night when the engines stopped, refuses to otherwise! This however only happens at night, i get to decide if the headlights should be on or not during the day! Its not a problem as its just as night, but its really just because i cant believe i didn't notice this before! So can it be light sensitive lights or is my car been next to my 5 turbo to long and picking up bad habits??! Thanks for any theory's in advance

Sharon
    Owned by a Renault 5 Gt turbo & the new addition Legnum Vr4!!
    Diamonds are a girls best friend

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

Sounds like something a bit screwy is going on. The cars arent fitted with day running lights, from what you describe it sounds like you car has auto light switching. Never heard of it before.
    They deffo dont come on in daylight by themselves?

Last Online
    23-08-2009
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4/5gt turbo

I don't use the car every day, but its not done it during the day so far now ive been eagle eyed! Used it last night in the dark and lights working by themselves and im just back from the dentists this morning and it let me decide Like you say i think its messing with my head, i shall go out once dark and test again! Im just a wee bit worried it is a wiring problem or something and more things will begin to happen!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

have you got odd looking thing on the dash pointing out the front screen.
    if so it could be an after market auto light on system. take a pic of dash to let us see as you probably don't have anything to compare it with to see if tit looks normal.

Bye for Now!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Seeing as it's a VR-4 (IE it's come in from Japland) there's a good chance as Dave says that there's an auto lighting system on the car somewhere.

Last Online
    23-08-2009
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4/5gt turbo

Thanks, just went out and took photos of dash........erm problem solved theres a little round box in the corner that if you look really closely says 'auto light' cant believe its taken me 6 months to notice my car had this! Im quite particular with my lights at night though, and usually stay in the car till the turbo timers off so thats why ive not noticed before Thanks for the help everyone

Theres another thing on the other side though, is this something to do with the jap GPS?

Thanks again,

Sharon

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Derek (SGHOM) had a very similar system on his 1st VR4.

Yes, the square box is a GPS reciever. Has your car got the MMCS, or an aftermarket thing?

Last Online
    23-08-2009
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4/5gt turbo

Thanks My cars Jap owner had a thing for Alpine i think, every things Alpine, its got double head unit and Alpine Jap Sat nav box (don't think there is a disk in it) under the chair with a free standing tv screen (that does nothing but show dots lol) From what ive read i don't think i have this MMCS.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Yeah, you deffo don't have MMCS. The MMCS uses a similar GPS antenna but it's mounted 'in' the dash - I did wonder if a previous owner had moved it but seeing as you've an aftermarket system that's now a redundant question!

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

i see you have the ralliart dash..good stuff

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast