Jeremy
    Last Online
    11-12-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Vr4 Legnum

South Island

Hey guys im not quite 1/2 way thru my journey.
    so far i have travelled In the Vr4 leggy from auckland - wellington via tga... then ferry to picton, then to christchurch... then across to greymouth. 1900kms so far

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    11-12-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Vr4 Legnum

hey guys just an update... after going to greymouth i travelled down to wanaka along the west coast, stayed there a nite then went to queenstown, dunedin via gore haha, then up to christchurch again on the east coast. wanka - chch in 1 day is a BIG drive got into chch at 10:30pm. over 3500Km's clocked up so far on the trip. still have to drive back to auckland over the next 4 days will post pics up when i get home of trip.

Name
    Kane
    Last Online
    23-01-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum 25STR

i've always wanted to do a south island drive, sounds like your havin a blast look forward to the photos.

Name
    Joanne
    Last Online
    17-10-2014
    Membership ID
    NZ003
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Giant TCR Allia
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Munta
    wanka - chch in 1 day is a BIG drive got into chch at 10:30pm..
    But at least you had a nice car to do it in! You should try doing it in a s**t box full of tramping gear!

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    11-12-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Vr4 Legnum

hey guys... just got back to aucks. after 4664.2Km's in 10days im REALY glad to be home. i will sort thru pics 2nite and post them up. and let you know which towns we went thru etc.

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    11-12-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Vr4 Legnum

heres a few pics from the south is. will edit a pic of nz to show full path i took on the road trip

top pic is when we was on the ferry leaving wellington such a nice day,
    2nd, arriving into the south is,
    3 & 4, arthurs pass
    5 random lil walk went on in the middle of nowhere
    6-9th pics of leggy parked is when we was going thru arthurs pass
    10th, going down the hill is when i went up steepest st in the world which is in dunien
    12th, going thru tunnel in christchurch.
    13th, random waterfall on way to look at fox glacia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Munta; 18-01-2007 at 07:49 AM.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Wow dude those pics rock, I especially love the one in the tunnel with all the lights.

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Nice Pics, its making me want to go back there, the scenery is just fantastic.
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    11-12-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Vr4 Legnum

thanx guys... yea the south Is rocks... planning on going back there in about 2 years but in winter time

Name
    Dale
    Last Online
    15-09-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Mazda6,EG Civic

Bring some chains

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Very Nice Pics

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    04-04-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Airtrek Turbo

Did you spin the wheels on Baldwin Street?

Name
    Ross
    Last Online
    08-09-2013
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 Legnum VR4

Did a similar drive myself, kinda not really.
    went Welly->picton-> CHCH->Dunners -> invercargill then couple days later ->wanaka(lake hawea actually) then another day -> dunners again?! then Hawea again then a week or so later invers again! then 4 more days later headed back to welly via dunners,-> chch-> picton->welly!

the welly to invers and invers to welly on the first and last days of the trip were massive drives. 10.5hrs driving on the way down (night driving) and about 11.5hr on the way back in saying that most ppl would take 12hr and thats a quick trip(scratch that, MOST people would do it over 2 days stopping in chch). was getting about 400-450 kilometers from full tank to the fuel light on the way down and about 510 from full to the fuel light on the way back even though she must have weighted another 500kg! full!!! of gear (while the mrs was driving the invers to chch leg). think it was arround 4000km
    which is alot considering before that i had only put 1200km on it since i brought her in august.

no photos from the drive though ,plenty from new years at Lake Hawea pub(shihad+datsuns!) but thats a different hi-jack... nothing much to look at really on the east coast drive anyway. love the road from picton to kiakora though so windy(sp?), was tempted to go through the middle as its a nice scenery and stuff specially near lake tekapo and alot more interesting than the relatively straight roads between CHCH and Dunners. but through the middle adds about 3-4 hrs if ya going right through to the bottom (invers!).

On the way home about 80km before(south of) kiakora on the really windy bits i was following a new Mitsubishi outlander thing, and man this guy was giving it heaps. there was a light rain and road felt kinda greasy and the corners are all like 35 -55's (read 80-120's if u have ayc and 4wd ) i had been very sedate up until this guy past me at which point i thought great, can follow him and he'll get the ticket but boy i backed off a few times round some of the corners aye, was starting to tramline... admitedly the leggy was sacked out to about 10cm from the ground with sooo much stuff we were bring back to welly in it, its amazing but anyway guy had a deathwise (and im just as stupid for keeping up with him i supose great great fun though). when he finally pulled over in kiakora to get fuel he gave a beepbeep as i drove past.