Ian
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Speaker Queries

I'm looking to buy some good quality door speakers for an 8G V6 Sport and have the following queries:

1. The front door speakers are 17cm, but what sort of clearance (in depth) is there? I'm assuming not all will fit, also what sort of weight can the doors comfortably handle?

2. On the dash, is it possible to remove the tweaters within the plastic casings? If so, what size would fit for replacement tweaters?

2. On the rear parcel shelf I have three speaker compartments, what are the sizes of all 3, and am I right in assuming the middle is designed for a sub?

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Hi mate. you will notice im setting up some sounds in my car at the moment too. To the first question, it depends on what type of speakers your looking to get, are you looking to run some speakers off a amps or off a head unit? depends on how much your willing to spend and what the overall aim is, i guess.

The depth of the speaker shouldnt be a problem, I havnt come across any speakers 16.5cm/17cm that you will hve problems with. I think you got about a easy 5". If your running speakers off a amp, I will be a good idea to make a MDF surround around the speaker mount and sound deaden and seal the whole door..

Can you confirm if your tweeters are in your dash or on the corner of the door cards?? to the point, it is possible to remove and replace with which ever speaker/tweeter you want.

finally on your rear shelf I you can have a pair of 16.5cm/17cm speakers and a 8" whole for a sub (if you havnt got one already).
    Galant 2.5 V6 24v Elegance 2003

Blistein B12 Suspension Kit, Short Shifter, VR4 Front Strut Bar, Rear Spoiler, Amsoil Oil & Filter, Wind Deflectors, Sound Deadened, Stainless Steel Door Sill, Black Diamond Rear Brakes Discs & Pads, Headlight HID Kit, ICPC & ICE, Custom Centre Console - 8" Touchscreen LCD
    & DVD slot loader.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Cheers for the quick reply...

I guess what I'm looking for in terms of sound, is more detail and clarity with punchier bass (nothing over the top mind). What I'm currently considering is getting an amplifier and component setup for the front and leave the rear till another time. Thing is, I'm very keen on keeping the appearance of my dash as stock as possible, which is why I prefer the idea of keeping the existing tweater casings and replacing the internal units if at all possible.

"If your running speakers off a amp, I will be a good idea to make a MDF surround around the speaker mount and sound deaden and seal the whole door.."

Thanks for the advice.

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Are your tweeters not on the top corner of the door cards mate??

So you going for a SQ setup. by enclosing the doors and sound proofing it, you will increase the quality and bass of the speakers.. theres no point buying good speakers if your not going to do that, because even good speakers will sound standard if you dont set the door up. The difference will be immense mate.

As for the amp, go for a 4 channel or even a 5/6 channel if you want to run a 8" sub. If your not going for a second amp for a sub box then i reckon you get a 5/6 channel because running a 8" sub will sound just right.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Yeah the tweaters are on the top corner of the door cards.

Still not decided on a sub, as I want to see what level of bass I can get from the front first. Are there any particular materials you recommend for sound proofing doors?

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Yeah have a look here for Sound Deadening

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

n13l pm,

Sorry to dig up this thread again mate, but I've now purchased my setup:

CDT HD-62 Component Speakers (ebay for £200)
    Genesis Profile 2 Amp (ebay for £120)
    Stinger Pro Wiring Kit
    Sound Deadning Kits for both doors

The CDT's are 2.75" in depth which means they should fit without issue, they come with a pair of 1" tweaters and I'm hoping I can dismantle them and fit them in the standard Galant tweeter casing.

Additional Questions:

1. The picture of your sound proofed door above, is it in a finished state? I only ask because I've seen a few examples on the web and they cover the entire door with the stuff. Are there any risks with this approach?

2. The MDF in the photo, was that custom made? How much does it add to the depth?

3. Would you recommend adding sound deadning directly behind the speaker, would this cause any distortion?

Cheers for your help...

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by n13l pm
    Yeah have a look here for Sound Deadening
    is the R-blox any good then?

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

IAC77: Your purchases sound good mate. keep me updated on your setup, take pictures along the way.

1. My doors are not in a finished state mate, your right they should be and will be covered completely. I have also added some sound proofing spray on top of the R-blox in side the door. The reason to seal the whole door is to make a better enclosure for the speaker - enhancing the quality of the bass etc..

2. That photo does not show my MDF mounting, thats the standard mount which comes in the car. The MDF one will replace that one, which is made from plastic.

3. Yeah you have to behind the speaker! I recommend sound deadning the whole door inside and out. makesure the door sounds solid when u knock it on the outside.

Kieran: The R-blox stuff is really good. Iv done my front doors, roof, boot and most of the floor. I havnt yet put my sound system in but iv noticed a difference from road and rain noise. When you knock the panels on the outside the car feels like a brick, solid as you like, unlike the thin metal sheet sound effect!!

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

how do you remove the plastic cover, where the 8" sub would sit on the parcel shelf? the white bit acutlly set in?

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

I cant remember from the top of my head, il have a look this weekend for you. I cant believe it being more then a few clips or screws.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

hopefully my sub will have turned up today, and want to fit it lol.....sorry for the hijack btw

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

What sub did you get? Whats your setup if you dont mind me asking..

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

was just some cheap 8" sub of ebay, not bothered about that one, just want the mid really....250rms so should be nice......
    eventually will be running alpine possible infinity components up front, and either infinty or alpine in the rear, ive got a 12" 1245 ifinity sub already in the boot, so most probably stick to infinity never was a fan of mix and match stereos lol....
    then sorting out my car pc in the front, but will be doing it sligthly different to yours. and really thats about it, cant think of anything else im going to put in there stereo wise...
    ive got past the massive system stage of my life, my Mk1 Golf GTi was running 2 12 " ifinity subs, 2 infinity 6x9s in the rear side cards....2 speakers in the door, unsure of name in there when i got it. and 2 infinity 6x9s under/in the dash....runing of clarion head unit(best head unit i ever bought, better than them stupid sony pieces of crap) and my dear god did it hum...couldnt breath with the base lol.....and all the infinity speakers were amped

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Another fellow Infinty head. I also had a infinity setup in my old car. Love their speakers, top dog for the money. I still in fact have my infinity set of 16.5cm fronts and 6by9. Looking for a new home if anyones interested. I guess I get better put them on the classified section. Anyways yeah with a 250rms 8"sub you will get a good mixture once you upgrade the rest of the speakers.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

how much would you be looking for thefront speakers? are they components with cross overs? or just the speakers? kappa or reference?

and yes i cant fault infinity for the price or sound qaulity, i had over 300 quids worth of infinty speakers inmy car, didnt pay that for them, lol i love sale prices, payedlike 200 quid i think

im not worried about the 8" to much just want the mid which im lacking in my car....need to build a bigger box for the 12" thow, will be done, when i can afford it....i really want my galant to sound good....but i also want my fastback(see sig) done and that requires lots of money 200 english pounds for one floor pan side and theres 2 of them, and i need heater channels

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Reference range speakers 2way not components:

Fronts

About 4months used, with box etc.. I wasnt thinking il get much for it, probly be better off selling it local as postage will be a fair bit on it.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

got any pics, ? of them

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

I have added the item to the classified section under Misc Sales. The above link is the same speaker but in the newer cosmetic design. These where both run off a amp and sounded really good, and still do.

If I can I might even try to mount the 6by9s on the rear shelf, anyone tried this??

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

6x9s dont work next to subs. they interefer with each others air space....how much are you looking for the fronts? ball park?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast