Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    They probably aren't talking crap, but you don't have the equipment they think you have. I'm not sure of you gearbox code, but I would take a guess at F5A5. I'm sure someone will confirm. Your engine code is 6A13.Hope that helps!
    Yeah, they're assuming you have a US Galant I think. Nick's given you the correct engine code. The gearbox code is the same for both UK FWD models - F4A42.

As for the advice of 'Manybrews'.... If he'd bother to look on a can of Amsoil ATF he'd see that it meets the ATF specifications he's harping on about....

Last Online
    16-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6

Ok. So as a conclusion then, is it safe to say we're all agreeing that if the right spec oil is used, be it Diaqueen III or amsoil ATF (NOTHING else, no castrol, dextron etc.), kept at the correct levels, with the stock cooler, changed at a max of 25k, not thrashed daily, the box should give a good life of service?
    =======================================
    '96 Citroen Xantia Dimension 1.9TD

Oil change: DONE 12/01/08
    Coolant change: DONE 20/01/08
    To do: Brake pads, Gear Oil, Hydraulic fluid change
    Last fitted: Havoline 15w-40 Oil and filter change, Advanced 5 year coolant (10C temp drop!)

Rugby, UK
    =======================================

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

111700 and counting, and that includes quite a few miles of knackered fluid.

How long is a piece of string? How long do you expect a car to last for? So far my galant has been by far the most reliable car in my family (and that is compared with a mitsubishi shogun, BMW 7 series, Nissan Silvia, Jag XJ12, etc). We've had no end of problems with the manual gearbox in the Shogun, but you never hear about how fragile they are, do you?

Quite simply, the reason that the mitsubishi autoboxes have a poor reputation in this country is that the dealers don't have a clue or the motivation to maintain them. Remember that if you need a new gearbox then the dealer profits a lot more than they do from a proper fluid change. Part of the problem in this country is that autos are not very common in mainstream brands so the dealers are also inexperienced with them (ie a merc dealership knows what to do with the autobox, a ford dealership doesn't).

My F4A42 shifts just fine with Amsoil... far better than it ever did after two different mitsubishi dealers looked at it!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by RugbyPete
    Ok. So as a conclusion then, is it safe to say we're all agreeing that if the right spec oil is used, be it Diaqueen III or amsoil ATF (NOTHING else, no castrol, dextron etc.), kept at the correct levels, with the stock cooler, changed at a max of 25k, not thrashed daily, the box should give a good life of service?
    I think that's an excellent and very balanced conclusion.

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

No rocket science here ; just as the chaps above say. Put the correct fluid in and all is well. Neither Mitzis SPII/III or Amsoils ATF are cheap but Amsoil is fully synthetic and will last much longer and as a synthetic take much more heat/ abuse and keep the trannys insides crystal clean.
    If you have a problem with getting Amsoil just contact me on 07949 944523 email don@performanceoilsltd.co.uk or web at http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/
    AMSOIL 'The First in Synthetics'

Last Online
    16-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6

For ref: I just got quoted Mitsu ATF SPIII at £6.73 per litre from a dealer.
    Catch is they wont deal with less than 25 litres cos its 'not for sale'

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Did that price include VAT?

Last Online
    16-03-2008