Car
    Galant V6

This is gonna cost isn't it....
    =======================================
    '96 Citroen Xantia Dimension 1.9TD

Oil change: DONE 12/01/08
    Coolant change: DONE 20/01/08
    To do: Brake pads, Gear Oil, Hydraulic fluid change
    Last fitted: Havoline 15w-40 Oil and filter change, Advanced 5 year coolant (10C temp drop!)

Rugby, UK
    =======================================

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    the Galant has probably one of the worst suspension set ups Ive ever seen and just knock from every inch of the front end, because it can
    says the man who fecks about with cars hilter designed , hmmm hilter now theres a design guru . and before you mention Dr Ferdinand Porsche , he ain't much better , for gods sake he put the engine in the wrong place on the 911 so what does he know ?

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Having looked for the cost of parts that may be rattling on mine I remembered that the steering rack ends were available for a resonable cost via the link below.

http://www.japaneazicarparts.co.uk/products.asp?cat=227

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Lee That website is very very much like another entry into camskill as the prices are spot on the same and the descriptions are as well .

Wonder if these guys buy from camskill and re-sell at the same price camskill charge

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by psbarham
    says the man who fecks about with cars hilter designed , hmmm hilter now theres a design guru . and before you mention Dr Ferdinand Porsche , he ain't much better , for gods sake he put the engine in the wrong place on the 911 so what does he know ?
    ahhhhh so that would be why mitsibushi have been going for as long as vw and porsche, and of course the galant has been a designed and production car as long as the beetle........oh no wait it hasnt has it lol, and if mitsi was as succesfull as porsche or vw, maybe they would be worth the price you pay for them, or even the cost of parts, a porsche or old vw gets restored.....but a galant just wants scrapping when its costing lots jst to keep it safe, not even getting to the stage off modding, and quick lesson for you hitler drew the KDF wagen on a bit of paper, then ferdinand porsche designed the actuall car, and guess what it wasnt a vw, it was the KDF wagen....then in 1947/1948 a britsh guy called ivan hurst took the design and created the volkswagen......and if i remember rightly, wasnt the beetle and the golf probably the most succesfull cars ever made....didnt see the galant in there thow lol..........but yeh try the tracking arms, not track rod ends, that should be the cause of your problem

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

ahhhhh so that would be why Mitsubishi have been going for as long as vw and Porsche, and of course the Galant has been a designed and production car as long as the beetle........oh no wait it hasn't has it lol, and if Mitsi was as successful as Porsche or vw, maybe they would be worth the price you pay for them, or even the cost of parts, a Porsche or old vw gets restored.....but a Galant just wants scrapping when its costing lots just to keep it safe, not even getting to the stage off modding, and quick lesson for you Hitler drew the KDF wagen on a bit of paper, then Ferdinand Porsche designed the actual car, and guess what it wasn't a vw, it was the KDF wagen....then in 1947/1948 a British guy called Ivan Hurst took the design and created the volkswagen......and if i remember rightly, wasn't the beetle and the golf probably the most successfully cars ever made....didnt see the Galant in there thow lol..........but yeh try the tracking arms, not track rod ends, that should be the cause of your problem
    ooh a history lesson , hmm Mitsubishi ? would that be the company whose products that was blowing the living sh!t out of the farther land during ww2 ? also the same company who's first car was built in 1917 ?as for the beetle beetle being successful , how the hell did that happen , its ugly slow and sounds like a bag of bolts falling down a flight of stairs and goes round corners in the same way as a blue whale flys (fecking badly) a mate of mine spent over 4 k tuning and modding one , and every time he tried to race my 450 quid mini , guess who won cracking car ain't they
    yes you brought one bad Galant , wow wee one bad one out of how many built , whereas how many beetles have gone to the crusher ? apart from not enough

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

lol would that be why the beetles always win at mini beetle wars then, and why minis are awfull wretched little cars....of course beetles ar slow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dotPcS2eg34
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gxfmcbwIm8
    btw just checked the 1/4 mile times, i notice no galant/legnum has a sub 12 second times, now last year was the year of the 9 second street legal beetles.....but hey lol there slow right .......
    but to sum up
    beetles are unbelivably succesfull, yes they should scrap all beetles that contain the "1303" and "mexico" worst beetles ever lol.......id never have a beetle nor do i want one, because i agree they are rubbish..... im a more refined person, hence why i have a type 3, probably the best vw ever made imho.....either way im not here to argue, because i really dont care about beetles, and were taking this completly off topic aswell lol.....and weve had 3 bad experiences with mitsi`s
    out of intrest, could you pm me what your mate did to his beetle, because 4k will by you a hella type 1 motor and i dont want to take this thread of topic

anyways, rugbypete, try the tracking arms not the track rod ends this should solve the problem this is what ive worked out it is and a few others have worked this out aswell, as you can see the steering arm move when rocking the wheel back and forth........they were cheap to buy aswell, and shouldnt cost alot to fix, you will obviously have to get the tracking done afterwards thow.....will post up on monday if this was the problem

Last Online
    16-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by psbarham
    I'll let Dr Bez know when I go into work on Monday

Last Online
    16-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee
    Having looked for the cost of parts that may be rattling on mine I remembered that the steering rack ends were available for a resonable cost via the link below.

http://www.japaneazicarparts.co.uk/products.asp?cat=227
    Ah nice one, i'll print that out when i go to the garage

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

thats what you want the rack ends, you can see the play in them as you can see the steering rack on teh car move

failing that shout at it

Last Online
    16-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6

hmm, not convinced, cos why would it only be one side that has movement?

Also, today i notice going over any bumps in the road and speed bumps there is a knocking noise from the right wheel, almost like the end of the suspension arm where the fixing bolt goes through was worn
    Not saying it is suspension but that what i felt like, as if whatever was holding the wheel on, had play when it 'fell' in a pot hole or bump or the second side of a speed bump, as sort of "donk" noise

I thought it was the new brake pads clonking about at first but then the other side is fine, so cant be. The vibration is getting worse, you notice it on left hand bends only.
    Last edited by RugbyPete; 31-03-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Sounds lke you have the same problem I do, I can' find it either.
    Would you try something for me and it may help you diagnose:
    Ensure you have a long flat bit of road behind you.
    Put the car in reverse and let it roll without any acceleration.
    Apply the brakes suddenly (Should clunk)
    Release the brakes (Doesn't always clunk)
    Cycle brakes, allowing them to fully release before the next application.

Mine does this as well as all of the other things you mention. There is one other person who suffered it too, will find out who, but nobody has found the source yet.
    Let me know how you get on.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

ITS THE RACK ENDS!!!!!!! ITS HAPPENING ON MY CAR, IT ALSO KNOCKS FROM THE SAME PLACE, IVE HAD 5 MECHANICS LOOK AT IT AND MYSELF, AND ITS THE RACK ENDS, AND I WILL PROOVE IT MONDAY WHEN THE RACK ENDS ARE DONE!!!!!!!
    the knock is the worn out rack end knocking, i have the same problem, thats what it is..... my car has had all new ball joints, new tyres wheels balanced, new discs and pads, track rod ends, tracking done.....this is the problem

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

I'm hoping you are right, will be checking it tomorrow. If that's the cause it's a lot cheaper to fix!

Last Online
    16-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6

Ok, its much worse now, less the vibration but I went to Burton Dassett at the weekend. the surface was pot holes galore, basically stone substrate with little rocks etc. anyway the suspension really worked on these, but the right hand drivers side was constantly going DONK DONK DONK DONKYDONK as if I was wacking a block of wood on the underside of my hub.

At least if somethings wearing away, it should be easier to spot when it goes in!

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Pete, did you try my test from above? It really sounds like the same problem I have and I know it is impossible to track down. Bal first experienced it late last year and it's still untraceable now.

pitslayer, if it' the track arms why wouldn't it knock when turning the wheel?

Last Online
    16-03-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6

Sorry not had time over the weekend, will let you know though. Its getting worse though going donky donk over every bump.

Thats why im sure its some sort of bush or other joint clanking, its gotta be, especially as the other side is perfectly fine and the wheel does not have any play in it.

Symptoms recap:

1) go over a bump or speed bump and you hear a 'donk' noise from the right hand side front wheel assembly.
    2) Go around a left hand bend, putting weight on the right and it judders ont he right side, if accelerating
    3) jack up the right side, grab the wheel with both hands, and you can wiggle it, detecting play of a few mm. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and there's no play. Jack the other side up and its rock solid, no play on any axis.
    4) Initially sounds like track rod end worn, clonking around, but the sound is coming from the behind the wheel/hub itself when you wiggle it.

Time to drop it off to the garage I think, Friday looks good if anywhere's open

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

i know whats wrong.....because the galant has probably one of the worst suspension set ups ive ever seen and just knock from every inch of the front end, because it can lol......
    I know you're upset with your car and and it's understandable, but it's approaching the stage now where your rubbishing of the Galant is occouring with monotonous regularity - and I daresay it's not all justified. Yes, you certainly have a right pig of a car by the sounds of it, no ones denying that - though it's hardly surprising when it's been mistreated for 50,000 miles by its previous owner as you've mentioned in the past.

Look, we've all been there, and many of us know all too well what it feels like to have a busted car or one with a heap of issues to sort - nothing worse and as I hope you already know we'll do our best to help, but to come out with sweeping statements like the above isn't helping - it's making you sound like you're suffering 'sour grapes' and it's starting to get people's backs up (as PSB has already shown, in his own... errr....unique style!....).

RugbyPete/Beastlee - Sorry about the - I'll tidy up the thread in due course.
    Last edited by Kieran; 02-04-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    as PSB has already shown, in his own... errr....unique style!...
    can i start then , pretty please ????? i thought i was being rather gentle on him really . but lets keep this human for the moment .
    but pitslayer instead of moaning about the car constantly do something about it , you kep saying you've spent shedloads , where? why not spend it on the bits that need it , and spend it once on proper parts instead of cutting corners and buying cheapo nasty and using bodgit and scarper ltd garages. either sell it or fix it , just get on with it and shut up about it .
    ditto K sorry for the hijack

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Sorry to jump in on this but a quick question for pitslayer as i'm very interested in the 9 second beatle , did it have an original engine for that 9 second run , or as i suspect they have just replaced the engine for a blown beast from another car .

If it is a non standard engine then please do not compare it to a galant / legnum as it's just not a comaprison of any value .

Anyway I hope you manage to sort out your issue with the car and if you need any help then give us a shout

have fun and play safe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast