Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    '98 Legnum VR-4

Urgent help please...

Hey dudes,
    My abs system has gone belly up. I'm told a tooth has snapped off the left-front abs sensor ring, which is causing the abs to activate every time I put my foot on the brake.

Other threads have suggested that an outer CV joint replacement is needed, but Mitsubishi have directed me to a crowd who do aftermarket sensors.

Question 1: Does anybody know how many teeth on a VR-4 sensor ring, and the tooth ring diameter..? Obviously I'll take the busted one in to ensure I get the right part, but I'd like to call and get a ballpark price first.

Question 2: How big a job is it to replace a sensor ring..? I believe it's just in behind the rotor. Any special tools required..?

Question 3: Would it be cheaper to get an outer CV joint from a wrecker..? It'd be a much bigger job though I'd imagine...

Question 4: Any Auckland peeps wanna give me a hand doing the job this weekend..?

I'm freaking out a little more than normal because the wife's 37 weeks pregnant and the Legnum's our only car. I need to get it sorted as quickly (and cheaply!!) as possible.

Thanks in advance dudes.
    Check out my band at www.battlecircus.com

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by jaimz
    Hey dudes,
    My abs system has gone belly up. I'm told a tooth has snapped off the left-front abs sensor ring, which is causing the abs to activate every time I put my foot on the brake.

Other threads have suggested that an outer CV joint replacement is needed, but Mitsubishi have directed me to a crowd who do aftermarket sensors.

Question 1: Does anybody know how many teeth on a VR-4 sensor ring, and the tooth ring diameter..? Obviously I'll take the busted one in to ensure I get the right part, but I'd like to call and get a ballpark price first.

Question 2: How big a job is it to replace a sensor ring..? I believe it's just in behind the rotor. Any special tools required..?

Question 3: Would it be cheaper to get an outer CV joint from a wrecker..? It'd be a much bigger job though I'd imagine...

Question 4: Any Auckland peeps wanna give me a hand doing the job this weekend..?

I'm freaking out a little more than normal because the wife's 37 weeks pregnant and the Legnum's our only car. I need to get it sorted as quickly (and cheaply!!) as possible.

Thanks in advance dudes.
    I may have a sensor ring that you can have. not sure if Carsten (Gly) has some spare hubs or not either.

I am sure the guys will be willing to give you a had with it. I should be free evenings all this week too. Also free all sat, but none of Sunday.

Name
    James
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    '98 Legnum VR-4

Dude, that's totally awesome!

Let me know whether you do have a spare ring - that'd be just SO cool! Have you gotten in and had a look at the abs system before..? Any idea how much of a job it is..? I'm fairly sure Carsten would have tinkered with it at some point

Friday night and/or weekend would be best for me to have a go at it... we could make it a Saturday afternoon thing. Any helpers can come for lunch (we shall provide) then we could get stuck in.

There's room out the back for another car or two, so we could make it a mini-workshop day if anyone else has stuff they want to get done...

Name
    calum
    Last Online
    02-01-2021
    Country
    Scotland

You could just take the fuse out of the ABS just now to at least make it driveable.

Name
    James
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    '98 Legnum VR-4

Good call dude.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Yeah, taking out the fuse is a good idea for now.

Not sure if the guys were going to be coming to my house or not for this gearbox thing on sat... Plans can be changed though.

No, haven't looked at the ABS system... should have most of the parts from it though (apart from sensors and front hubs)

To be honest I am not sure the abs ring can be taken out, but I can find out. Not sure when though, as will have to go to my dads house to do it.

Name
    James
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    '98 Legnum VR-4

Okay dude, if there's something already planned for Saturday, let me know... maybe I could tag along.

Mitsubishi seemed to think the ring could be replaced, but the dudes at Automotive Driveline (the ring supplier) weren't sure whether it attached to the hub or the shaft (something like that anyway...)

If you get a chance to check out the one at your dad's place, that'd be great. Lemme know if you want a hand - could do it Friday night maybe..?

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

I need some bits off my wreck anyway, so hopefully will get around there sometime this week. If the ring can be taken off, hopefully i can take it off one of the rear wheels. if it is attached the the shafts, I think I have them too

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

I would have thought that it would be a fairly easy job to do, it didn't take us long to get the drive shafts off the purple race car at Kenny's

I'm in, let me know where, Sat would be the best for me at this stage....

For both jobs.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Jaimz, I'm keen to come and help, anytime on saturday around midday/afternoon is fine, and it sounds like Kenneth has a spare, so you won't have to pay megabucks for a new one

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

So by the sound of things, best thing would be for Jaimz to come to my place sat?

Name
    James
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    '98 Legnum VR-4

Rockin'
    Okay Ken, your place it is... could you PM me your address though... not sure I can remember exactly how to get there!

Do you think the sensor rings on the rear hubs would really be the same as on the front..? I wouldn't have thought it very likely...

Thanks again guys, should be a good day.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

pm sent.

I cant see why not... it would be the cheaper and easier way to manufacture it.

Name
    James
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    '98 Legnum VR-4

Hey dude,
    Sorry to second guess you on the rear/front swap, but a dude at Kempy's who was recommended to me by Mitsi said they're definately different.

I know I'm in no position to be making requests with this, but is it possible you've got a front one spare..?

On the plus side, a dude at the Mitsi service shop said it's an easy job. Just like changing an oil seal.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Hey dude,
    Sorry to second guess you on the rear/front swap, but a dude at Kempy's who was recommended to me by Mitsi said they're definately different.

I know I'm in no position to be making requests with this, but is it possible you've got a front one spare..?

On the plus side, a dude at the Mitsi service shop said it's an easy job. Just like changing an oil seal.
    well, therein lies a problem... Carsten took the front hubs, which I am very sure contains the abs sensor and the ring you are talking about.

Name
    James
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    '98 Legnum VR-4

Righto, I'll see if I can get hold of him and ask (unless he's been silently lurking around this thread, biding his time...!)

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Righto, I'll see if I can get hold of him and ask (unless he's been silently lurking around this thread, biding his time...!)
    I think he is unable to browse the forums at work... poor sod

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

nahh he will be hard at work until about 5, expect an answer from him about then

Name
    James
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    '98 Legnum VR-4

Cool. I left a voicemail for him too... THERE IS NO ESCAPE!!!

I've been thinking about the whole "pull out the abs fuse" thing as an easy fix, but I'm told the ayc works off the same sensors, so there could be further problems there...

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Cool. I left a voicemail for him too... THERE IS NO ESCAPE!!!

I've been thinking about the whole "pull out the abs fuse" thing as an easy fix, but I'm told the ayc works off the same sensors, so there could be further problems there...
    The AYC will just not work. no issue there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast