Heath
    Last Online
    11-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    Supra TT/Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    Yawn yawn yawn.... He's as boring as he is old!

Ok, I'll stick to be old and boring on my oh so 'dull' pastime of trackdays, if you stick to your own exceedingly 'exciting' sport of polishing

H

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by HJM
    Ok, I'll stick to be old and boring on my oh so 'dull' pastime of trackdays, if you stick to your own exceedingly 'exciting' sport of polishing

H

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by WildCards
    Oh.. cool. I'm not sure about the techie bits, I'll either be fudging them or getting a mate to do them but as for pics i'll happily oblige. When it comes to buying parts i'm so glad i've got a Peugeot, this mornings bill was only £250!

For PB: The engine came with the car, but was far from complete to just plonk into it. I did a bit of research and asked a few questions and decided to have it looked at before spending money on it, just aswell really as it wasn't the most healthy of engines. Amongst other things it had suffered a little oil starvation, so the crank has had some buffing and the shells had spun aswell. It's had all new pulleys, oil pump and gubbins and had an aggressive skim for want of a better term to raise the CR a little bit. I've been told to expect 170hp, but i'll be happy with the standard figures.

I've bought another 1.6 GTi box, this ones been refurbished and has a KAAZ LSD fitted. The 1.6 ratios should mean it's better for track work but a nightmare on any long/constant high speed journeys. Alot of people have the 1600 box and fit the Mi final drive, but I don't really want to spend the money so i'll make do with what i've got.

I'll take some snaps tonight and use this thread as an ongoing 'project diary'. I want the car to be ready for MOT in a month.
    The 1.6box is definately the way forward. Finaly sold the rally car with everything, only to be told by the idiot that bought it that he doesnt have the room for all the spares so he's scrapped them!
    2 1.6 engines and BE3 gearboxes gone to scrap! one of the boxes was amazing (incredibly illegal for the 205 challenge so we never used it), just had full rebuild, topped out at redline in 5th at 100mph!

The only thing i have left is a steering rack, as it's cabletied to the roof of the van, and i forgot all about it. Nothing wrong with it at all, yours if you want it for a spare?

BTW.. does the KAAZ diff allow you to use the standard shafts? as i know the ZF does not.

Keep us posted on the MI conversion, and keep up the good work.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Quote Originally Posted by richy rich
    When are we tracking it next steve.
    As soon as i've robbed another bank most likely.

I dunno, a month til MOT (hopefully) then 1000 miles engine running in which will prolly see me though to the end of August if it's trouble free. The prospect of 1000 boring miles in a tin can isn't really stirring my loins to be honest, I'll hopefully get a few days in before the really bad weather though, it'll be Mallory or Donington though.
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Quote Originally Posted by Gowf
    The 1.6box is definately the way forward. Finaly sold the rally car with everything, only to be told by the idiot that bought it that he doesnt have the room for all the spares so he's scrapped them!
    2 1.6 engines and BE3 gearboxes gone to scrap! one of the boxes was amazing (incredibly illegal for the 205 challenge so we never used it), just had full rebuild, topped out at redline in 5th at 100mph!

The only thing i have left is a steering rack, as it's cabletied to the roof of the van, and i forgot all about it. Nothing wrong with it at all, yours if you want it for a spare?

BTW.. does the KAAZ diff allow you to use the standard shafts? as i know the ZF does not.

Keep us posted on the MI conversion, and keep up the good work.
    Thats a shame, you'd have gotten another couple of hundred quid for that lot aswell. I've been assured the diff will go on standard shafts, I won't be a happy bunny if it doesn't though. Where did the car go in the end, what region? It might be worth visiting the scrapyards in the area.

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Its up in inverness. The bloke didnt quibble on price as finaly someone realised that they were getting a bargain! Thing that annoyed me most was, i
    ended up towing everything to his house for him twice (as i threw in a 1.9 road car as well) and never got a penny fuel for it. Then when unloading the spares, he askes me what this shiny box(ecu) is for? Bloke doesnt clearly has no idea what he is doing, and it just gets your goat that i let it go for not a lot of money, and its just going to end up on its roof by someone who doesnt give a **** about it!

But then.... if i cared that much about it i wouldnt have sold it. Just sickening to see 2 years of hard work going to an idiot that then (unknowingly) rubs salt in the wound.

Think i'l have to destroy the BM into a tree to make sure this doesnt happen again!

Do you want this rack? I'd bring it to Japfest if you do, otherwise its just going to be cabletied to the roof of the van for ever more!

Sorry for the thread hijack!!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

If you don't mind Gowf, i'm sure I can tuck it away for a spare in the garage. is it a standard non PAS rack?

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    07-12-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

Sounds as if you're having great fun with this project Steve ..... I look forward to seeing you blasting around Mallory/Donny one day.

Oh, BTW, I DID notice you dressed as a female nurse in the LRI when I was in there ........ good disguise!
    RIP: Richard (Physician)

Bog standard silver VR4 except a decat pipe and quad exhaust outlets.

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by WildCards
    If you don't mind Gowf, i'm sure I can tuck it away for a spare in the garage. is it a standard non PAS rack?
    It sure is! It came off a car that i bought for spares, but it had mot, just a knackerd fuel pump, so never drove it. Should be fine though. It'd be a handy thing to have sitting around, esp.. if you just so happened to buy a quickrack kit for it!

Will bring it with me... see you at the bar!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Quote Originally Posted by Gowf
    It sure is! It came off a car that i bought for spares, but it had mot, just a knackerd fuel pump, so never drove it. Should be fine though. It'd be a handy thing to have sitting around, esp.. if you just so happened to buy a quickrack kit for it!

Will bring it with me... see you at the bar!
    Cheers Gowf.

Rich, I wear a dress well don't I?

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

A little update to keep you keen. I still haven't got any pics because I can't find my camera, apologies. I will get it sorted before anything major happens, pwomise.

This morning i've bought a few more parts;
    A quickshift gear lever & group N gear linkage kit to tighten up the gear changes and shorten the throw, something which was sorely needed at cadwell. Also a group N engine mounting kit, a coolant hose kit; a poly carbonate rear window, a pair on eccentric top mounts, a lightweight aluminium radiator and some pukka Peugeot head bolts (They were £60!!).

Pictures below of the fancy pants gucci quickshift lever and the coolant hoses.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Oh, I also bought 2 sets of GSD3's with a set of black 1.9 GTi alloys this morning in exchange for £230 and my crabby battered old 1.9 GTi alloys.

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

Great stuff! My eldest is currently scanning eBay for a 205GTi to play with.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    08-06-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '99 Ralliart VR

Sounds like this project is coming along nicely

Quote Originally Posted by MPBVr4
    Malc - I thought you were going to treat him to a VR4?

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Quote Originally Posted by MPBVr4
    Tell him to look on forum.205gtidrivers.com Theres a white 1.9 GTi going for £300 at the minute.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

When I got home last night the engine stand i'd ordered on ebay had arrived, Kate had carried it in but the numpty courier had left it on the doorstep

Kate toddled off to do some overtime while I sorted the kids, just as the in-laws decided to visit, [oh bloddy ell!]. I finally got around to putting my shiny engine stand together at about half 8. A bit of swearing and headscratching ensued but I finally managed it and with the aid of some low step ladders and a couple of engine mount bolts which fortuneatly i'd had lying around I was able to lift it on and secure it, at which time I pushed it into the garage ready for tonights episode.

Bought some powerflex wishbone bushes this morning too.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Pictures

Found my camera this evening shortly before attempting to put the bottom end back together. All went well, the pistons and liners are in, aswell as the crank and all bearings and washers associated.

PC rear screen and alu rad

Shortened inlet manifold, injectors & fuel rail

Wishbone bushed & headbolts

205 looking rather sh!t

This engine looks much like how the SVR4 looked last time I saw it. Ignore the carpet, that's my oil soaker upperer, although it's seems the horse has already bolted.

Rebuild parts

Crank & pistons

Head

Block on the tand ready for tonights antics
    Last edited by WildCards; 17-05-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Todays products:

Uprated oil pump spring
    Alloy co-drivers footrest
    Complete oil breather hose kit (in red... bling!)
    10ltrs of Amsoil Series 2000 20W50
    6x Amsoil power foam
    1x Amsoil engine flush
    1x Super Blue RBF
    1x Amsoil Rain Clear
    1x Amsoil Coolant
    2x Amsoil octane Boost
    1x Oil test kit

Todays Jobs completed:

I cleaned the engine bay a bit. Slack I know but the engine is in a position where I can't/daren't/won't do anything myself for fear of buggering it all up. I messed about with the loom trying to pull it free through the bulkhead, but I kinda lost my will to live looking at all the wires and left that for someone who knows better aswell.
    I just need to get the engine back together then I recon i'll start making some headway.

Anyway, pictures tomorrow hopefully.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Thought i'd take a few snaps tonight. Yes, I realise my carport and garage are in a little bit of a state, as soon as I get a free weekend i'll be 'getting round to it'.

Engine progress so far:

New pimp wheels and nearly new tyres (despite their filthy condition);

Cleaner engine bay;

Products;

and my new turbo trainer;

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

Looking good!
    If you have a problem with getting Amsoil just contact me on 07949 944523 email don@performanceoilsltd.co.uk or web at http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/
    AMSOIL 'The First in Synthetics'

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast