Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

Alloy co-drivers footrest told you you needed 1 but you wouldnt listen to me.

All looking good mate.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Quote Originally Posted by richy rich
    Alloy co-drivers footrest told you you needed 1 but you wouldnt listen to me.

All looking good mate.
    I know I know, Mark fitted one to his 306 and I realised what a worthwhile addition it actually was after finding out first hand. Just need to work out how to mount it now, loads-a-rivets, bolts or no nails
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by WildCards
    I know I know, Mark fitted one to his 306 and I realised what a worthwhile addition it actually was after finding out first hand. Just need to work out how to mount it now, loads-a-rivets, bolts or no nails
    Absolute doddle! Self tapping bolts, with the little clipy screw thing (thats the technical name btw) is what i used. Dont do what i did though, make sure that you put the supports for the top in an accesable place because everything in the world (including imobiliser fobs when your sat in service with only 2mins left) end up taking up residence behind it!

Makes things feel much safer for the passenger, believe me i know!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Righty ho, after a further two evenings we have the bottom end back together, head on, cams on and everything inbetween torqued up nicely. All there is left is to put on is the sump and spacer, the cam oil squirty bar thingy, the water pump, the cambelt, the gearbox and the cam cover... easy.

Then i'll be borrowing a crane and swapping old for new changing the mounts at the same time oblusly. I have been told it's not as easy as that, but I reckon with all new parts here on in it'll be done within my time frame. I can't wait.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

The Quickshift kit & Grp N rods arrived this morning. Last night I fished out the cam cap bolt which I'd dropped through a spark plug hole onto a piston and managed to change all of the 'o' rings for new on the oil squirty bar thingy - that was a pain in the ar5e job!. The flywheel arrived at the weekend too.

Hopefully tonight the whole thing will be ready on the engine stand to be dropped into the car. I'll then have to see about hireing/borrowing a crane for a few evenings to whip the old one out, clean stuff up and replace the mounts etc.

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

spanner
    No longer empty and frantic...

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Blimey, i've not updated this thread for a while.

The engine is complete and currently sitting in a corner of my car port with a sheet over it. I've fitted the quickshift kit, new knob, stick and the new alu gear rods. I managed to overtighten the gear knob and snap the grub screw holding it in, so i've used Loctite which seems to be bloody strong stuff!
    New knob feels great anyway, it's nice and high with a short throw and has a lovely notchy feel when it engages.

Also bought a 12 row Mocal cooler, 309 ARB and some eccentric top mounts for not much money. Collected a plug and play loom last week along with an Mi ECU, so now i've got the proper management for it. Err.. what else? It'll come to me.

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

Blimey, i've not updated this thread for a while.

The engine is complete and currently sitting in a corner of my car port with a sheet over it. I've fitted the quickshift kit, new knob, stick and the new alu gear rods. I managed to overtighten the gear knob and snap the grub screw holding it in, so i've used Loctite which seems to be bloody strong stuff!
    New knob feels great anyway, it's nice and high with a short throw and has a lovely notchy feel when it engages.

Also bought a 12 row Mocal cooler, 309 ARB and some eccentric top mounts for not much money. Collected a plug and play loom last week along with an Mi ECU, so now i've got the proper management for it. Err.. what else? It'll come to me.
    Put it in the car?

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beazer
    Put it in the car?
    I know I know, but things have needed to be bought... and cheaply, hence me having to wait until items come available. If I were buying everything new it would have be done by now, but would have cost a fortune. Hopefully this weekend it'll all be put together and will be running.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

This weekend Gowf came to mine armed with an engine crane to lift the old 8v unit out and drop the shiny spangly sparkly 16v engine in. All went fairly well, the old engine came out easily enough, we removed the downpipes with a some swearing and cut the old loom out as it was routed in a spaggy way.

The new loom was a cinch, plug and play indeed, the new engine needed some persuasion but sat nicely in the end and is now ready for the loom to be connected, and all of the oil and coolant pipes to be added. I've got the lower engine mount to attach to the car aswell but from what I can see it's about in the right place anyway so should just be a case of sliding the bolt through.

All of the gear rods were connected yesterday afternoon and last night once Gowf had left I stood and attached a few hoses. I've managed to find some diagrams showing me were to put what and another mate will be popping round at some point this week to make sure i'm not ballsing stuff up.

Also need to change some of the bolts we used and tighten other up before subjecting it to any abuse. By the weekend though i'm hoping it'll be running and I can get it booked in for an MOT.

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

Got any pics besides GOWF getting pi$$ed. I thought the electrics might be
    problem but sounds fairly straight forward?

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Quote Originally Posted by MPBVr4
    Got any pics besides GOWF getting pi$$ed. I thought the electrics might be
    problem but sounds fairly straight forward?
    I'll take some snaps tonight. The wiring is a problem, but I paid the extra pennies for a plug and play loom, basically it's the 16v loom extended to reach the 205 multiplugs under the dash. It'll still be a headache working out which plugs go where on the engine though, just not as much of a headache.

There isn't much room in the bay, infact Gowf wondered how much space will be left for the radiator as the inlet manifold may be in the way. We'll see, others have done it though.

I've also got to find a place for the oil cooler. They're normally placed in the spare fan cowling but i'm running two fans, so don't have a spare, i'm think of fudging a bracket underneath the slam panel to house it behind the grill.

Anyway, pics tonight I promise.

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

Are you using a beskoke ECU or remapping the original? (I don't even know if
    the PUG had one originally )

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

I'm using the Mi16 ECU, the engine is standard so theres not really any need to arse about with aftermarket engine management.

I may look at re-mapping it depending on the results, I'd like to up the limiter aswell from 7400ish to around 8000.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm using the Mi16 ECU, the engine is standard so theres not really any need to arse about with aftermarket engine management.

I may look at re-mapping it depending on the results, I'd like to up the limiter aswell from 7400ish to around 8000.

I think what you meant to say was you would like to remove the limiter! The bottom ends on those are good for around 8500 i think. i know the 8valves are and since they are pretty much the same block i would have to think that it is true.

I was meant to give you that ecu thats sitting in the van. its a 1.6, but its had the limiter removed and chipped. Now since i never did it myself, i dont know if the limiter is removed by the chip or if it has been done in the true rally way. But if it has you can have a look and see how its done, then get rid of it on yours. If your then taken by sudden gay tendencies, you can buy an aftermarket limiter, which im sure i could get you the 205challenge discount on.

I am really interested to see if the rad and fans fitt, as im not 100% convinced.

Just remember.... Inlet manifold lower bolts have to be alan key, 2 lower gearbox bolts(1 is an alan key)at the back and 1 on the front(16mm head). Other than that, lets hope your clutch doesnt fall off!!!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    06-02-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Gowf
    I think what you meant to say was you would like to remove the limiter!
    Yeah, I was trying to say I want the limiter removed, but may stretch to a remap if that removes the limiter as part of the process

The bottom ends on those are good for around 8500 i think. i know the 8valves are and since they are pretty much the same block i would have to think that it is true.
    I've been told this aswell, although darren @ Spoox reckons he's ran his up to 10,500rpm... where it went bang in a fairly major way.

I am really interested to see if the rad and fans fitt, as im not 100% convinced.
    It'll fit

Just remember.... Inlet manifold lower bolts have to be alan key, 2 lower gearbox bolts(1 is an alan key)at the back and 1 on the front(16mm head). Other than that, lets hope your clutch doesnt fall off!!!
    Inlet bolts are ordered, the front gearbox bolt is done, the rear one (the allen key one) doesn't want to go in though, it fits perfectly in the other box - I might need a big hammer.

I've managed to exchange the engine and gearbox we removed for an evenings help from a chappy at 205Parts in Kibworth. Well worth it since I'm positive the engine is fubar'd, and both engine and gearbox have done 147,000 fairly hard miles... remember the throttle body leaking oil?

Name
    Paul Clark
    Last Online
    08-12-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    C63 AMG 4.0TT

looking good mate where you going to race it?

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Quote Originally Posted by Paul C
    looking good mate where you going to race it?
    I'm not racing, it's just for trackdays, although it'd be nice to have a go at a few hillclimbs.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast