Thread: Fault Codes (Engine light + TCL light)

Last Online
    20-07-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    1996 LEGNUM VR4

Fault Codes (Engine light + TCL light)

Does any body know how to check your fault codes without having a fault code reader? I found some info on it on the net a while ago but I'm unable to find it again. Some thing to do with connecting a volt meter and counting the pulses on the gauge. Also found something about certain lights flashing on the dash. Just cant find anything any more. Anyone got any ideas?

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

There's a thread on the members area. Justification that the £20 membership fee is well worth it.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    07-12-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

Quote Originally Posted by EDD
    Does any body know how to check your fault codes without having a fault code reader? I found some info on it on the net a while ago but I'm unable to find it again. Some thing to do with connecting a volt meter and counting the pulses on the gauge. Also found something about certain lights flashing on the dash. Just cant find anything any more. Anyone got any ideas?
    Yep, we DID suggest to you back in February when we were helping you with another problem that joining up would allow you to scan the Library and other sources for information to help sort out your problems.

It may be simpler for you to take the car down to your local Mitsubishi dealer and they can connect a MUTT reader and let you know the fault codes being displayed.

Good luck.
    RIP: Richard (Physician)

Bog standard silver VR4 except a decat pipe and quad exhaust outlets.

Last Online
    20-07-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    1996 LEGNUM VR4

I downloaded the form a while ago but thought i'd wait until I could sign up on line as there was a mention that there was going to be a possibility of this in the 'shop' section (or what ever it is). Mitsubishi in Belfast told me they would be unable to identify the problem as they didnt believe they had a code reader for my car. I'm more than happy to sign up. Is there any way to do it on line with paypal or something similar?

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

Last Online
    20-07-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    1996 LEGNUM VR4

Nice one. Thanks. How long has the on line sign up been available?

Last Online
    20-07-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    1996 LEGNUM VR4

Thats brilliant. Its taken me all of 2 minutes to find out whats up with the VR-4. Its also not so brilliant too. Any one had a code 71 and a code 72 before? According to the information I have a problem with my vacuum control solenoid valve (TCL) and a problem with my ventilation control solenoid valve (TCL). That would probably explain my TCL light but I'm not so sure about the engine light which comes on with it. Will have to do some investigation in to what work is required to fix it. Hopefully not expensive, again.

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    29-05-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 VR4 | 01 CF4

I have the same issue intermittantly as well and the TCL Valve Assembly is the issue with mine. Here in NZ its about $130 + fitment(about half an hour if i remember rightly) + GST(VAT to you guys) from Mitsi. Hope this helps.

Last Online
    20-07-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    1996 LEGNUM VR4

Is that job easy enough to do yourself? Where are the valve assemblies? I take it they are the 'solenoid valves' that the codes are refering to.

Last Online
    24-06-2007
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant Vr4 2000

Yes Yes Yes some one speaking about TCL, wth is that ? I thought it meant Traction control............... sorry if I sound dumb, it turns on when I hit my button, but actually i have a new problem, ABS and TCL on always, I had to disconnect it, the car was braking itself with me not touching it....

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, Yes, Yes TCL is traction control. But it uses various valves to controll it and the TCL light will flash to signify other faults as well.

Yes Yes Yes!!

Dave

Search on diagnostic codes

Bye for Now!

Last Online
    20-07-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    1996 LEGNUM VR4

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHH HHH!!!!
    Ive just been to Mitsubishi who have now lead my to believe that there are 4 solenoid valves involved with the TCL system. 2 of which are fitted on the bulk on the passenger side and the other 2 appear to be further forward somewhere below the fuel rail??????!!!!???? He couldnt print the diagram out for me though. Have had the cover off and have had a look about but cant seem to find them. Booooooooooooooooooo!

Last Online
    20-07-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    1996 LEGNUM VR4

Mint!!! I had a mess about with the solenoid valves and connections and replaced the stepper motor/idle air controller then set it up. All of a sudden, all of the problems have disapeared. Stepper motor must have caused it. Only problem now is a whistle. Anyone changed a throttle body gasket before? Sounds like a small air leak from there somewhere.