Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Insurance difference: Galant VR4 and Legnum VR4

Hi guys,

I currently have a Galant GLS estate, and am seriously playing around with the idea of getting myself a VR4 (Galant or Legnum) dpending on insurance. I've looked on the net for some quotes, but am a little baffled with the results.

Current GLS insurance is £550 (4yrs NCB, aged 25), and it being a group 11 (so I've been told) expected a VR4 quote to be around £750-£800ish.

I've been quoted £800 for a UK spec Galant VR4 (saloon) and £1700 for a Japanese import Legnum VR4 (didnt have the option of saying it was an estate). Such a huge difference in quotes (used Confused.com within 5 minutes of each quote) is confusing me as to which quote is more accurate for me.

I'd prefer to get a Jap import Legnum, but if the difference in insurance is going to be that much, I might just stick to a UK Galant VR4. Are the imports classed by insurance companies as higher risk or something? Surely the same car (albeit called a different name) would have been the same quote? Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I did do a search for 'insurance' and couldn't find anything to clear up my question.

Help appreciated from a possible VR4 owner, but a happy GLS owner

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Confused.com are probably weighting the 'UK-Spec' VR-4 as a standard V6-24. It's happened before.

Give Sky insurance or Lifesure a call and see what they can do for you - between them, they cover a sizeable chunk of the UK members cars.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

it's probably got something to do with the import status. There were a few UK new Legnums, but they are fairly hard to find. In saying that there is one for sale at the moment 'andy43' and there is also a Galant VR-4 for sale from 'Brunty' Both are outstanding cars.