Thread: New Galant Fortis reveiled in Japan

Last Online
    24-11-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

New Galant Fortis reveiled in Japan

Some of you may have already seen the pictures, but what I didn't know (until today) was that the Lancer will be renamed to “GALANT FORTIS” for the Japan domestic market.

http://news.windingroad.com/countrie...tis-for-japan/

The “Fortis” apparently Latin for “Strong, steadfast, courageous.”

The lancer leads the company in good standing among the leading competitors for so many generations and very well established so why would they want to change its name? Lancer Fortis would have been the obvious choice.

and why can't they use that name for the upcoming UK version?

Kieran?
    Last edited by MGV6; 10-06-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

Hmm. No specs on the non-EVO version yet. Could be the same as the Us version. The AUS version may have the 2.4 Litre motor.

I am driving a 2.4 Litre Lancer currently (pending the return of my mine ) and boy it wheelspins easily. However as it is not the VR-X model, it wallows quite a lot.
    Last edited by KiwiTT; 10-06-2007 at 11:08 PM.
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a VR-4, around corners at speed. But it costs see here

Name
    Whenz
    Last Online
    04-02-2020
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori

Well last week, i saw it with my own eyes.

I spotted 1 just last week, cos i work next to mitsi motors. I had to look twice.
    Yup, it was this exact same one (Mitsubishi Galant Fortis) Maroon Red or candy Red whatever it is.

They have taken it out a few times for a run.. Might i say... looks very nice!
    VR-4

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

According to AutoZine a 2.4 could be in the works
    Another jointly developed "World Engine" to be debuted next year is the 2.4-liter version, expected to produce 172 horses.

Name
    Whenz
    Last Online
    04-02-2020
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori

Was quite shocked to see one.. looks nice... (all i can say)

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Do you know if mitsi are going to be selling them here in NZ?

Name
    Whenz
    Last Online
    04-02-2020
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori

dont know? ill ask one of the guys if i seem em...

Ohh yeah one of the employees own a 96/97 Black prefacelift VR4.
    No Mods though?

Might i mention too... is that they have a 96 Silver prefacelift Galant as one of there fleet vehicles?
    i see different people driving it everyday. sometimes they dont take it, it stays overnight?

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

This is the Galant Fortis - or Lancer Sportsback hatch that will launch in the UK in 2009
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last Online
    24-11-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

Front looks cool, back looks poo!

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

the side view windows look like the old mazda 323 (96 - 99 model i think)
    BMW E60 525i (3.0) M-Sport.

Name
    G
    Last Online
    27-03-2016
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Ford Mondeo

I think both the new Lancer saloon and the upcoming hatch/sportback look an awful lot like existing Alfas, which will presumably the cudgel the Euro-biased press will bash them with. Sigh...

Mitsubishi have also announced that they're switching production of the Euro-market Outlander to the NedCar plant where the Colt is currently built. Apparently the Mizushima plant is overstretched trying to meet demand for the new Lancer, so other models currently built there are having their production shifted to alternate locations. I guess that's a good sign for the company's financial health.

Rather bizarrely, the PSA versions of the Outlander which Mitsubishi builds for Citroen and Peugeot won't also shift to NedCar. Instead, production will move from Mizushima to Nagoya, where all other Outlanders are made. So, what would you rather have, a Japanese car built in the Netherlands, or a French car built in Japan?

Regards,
    G
    '03 Seat Arosa 1.4TDi S (mpg spreadsheet)
    ex-'94M Mitsubishi Galant Sports GT 2.0 V6 biturbo (R.I.P.)

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

French car built in Japan! But then I've just defeated my own objective of Japanese cars being better built..!

If you ever drove a Carisma (I only did when my Galant went in for servicing) then you'll recognise this... The Carisma, built at the NedCar plant, didn't feel it was screwed together as well Mitsubishi's other Japanese built cars... Just the whole feel and touch of the materials felt cheap... Considering this was a joint venture with the then Volvo S40, Volvo got the better deal..!

The Lancer hatchback / sportsback is meant to fill the whole left by the Galant over here (being larger than the outgoing Lancer... How small can Mitsubishi downsize..? I remember when it ditched the awsum Sigma 3.0L because the then 1998 Galant saloon and estate were large enough... It then axed the Galant in the UK because the Lancer is big enough... Lets hope in a generation they don't ditch that and we're all driving Colts! hehe!

Name
    G
    Last Online
    27-03-2016
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Ford Mondeo

New cars getting ever fatter. The current VW Polo is something like 200mm (8") longer than the original Mk.1 Golf. Same thing is probably happening with the Lancer/Galant.

G

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by HMG1K
    If you ever drove a Carisma (I only did when my Galant went in for servicing) then you'll recognise this... The Carisma, built at the NedCar plant, didn't feel it was screwed together as well Mitsubishi's other Japanese built cars... Just the whole feel and touch of the materials felt cheap...
    Totally agree. The new Colt (the Euro-Spec one) is built at NedCar. Not sure about the JDM variant, but yeah - A marked decline in fit, finish and overall 'feel' compared to the previous generation. A shame really as it does have some innovative features.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Here's the official press release from Mitsubishi about switching production of the Euro-market Outlander to the NedCar that gdelargy mentioned earlier...

Mitsubishi Motors transfers Outlander production for Europe

In order to keep up with the strong demand for Outlander in Europe and new Lancer* worldwide, Mitsubishi Motors Corporation has decided to transfer production of the Outlander (for European markets) to its regional production hub (Netherlands Car B.V. [NedCar], Born, the Netherlands) during 2008.

The company currently produces Outlander at its Nagoya Plant in Okazaki, Aichi Prefecture and the new SUVs for PSA Peugeot Citroën at its Mizushima Plant in Kurashiki, Okayama Prefecture. As production of the Europe-market Outlander shifts from Nagoya to NedCar, production of the new SUVs supplied to PSA Peugeot Citroën will be transferred from Mitsubishi Motors' Mizushima Plant to its Nagoya Plant.

The decision to make the above transfers has been taken in order to ease the strain on production capacity at the Mizushima Plant, thus avoiding any missed sales opportunities in view of the strong sales of Outlander in Europe and of the Lancer in markets worldwide.

Mitsubishi Motors' European production hub NedCar currently manufactures the Colt compact car, the company's best selling model in Europe. The company plans to produce Outlander at its NedCar plant until the model reaches the end of its life cycle.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Name
    Whenz
    Last Online
    04-02-2020
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori

Damn... didnt ask the dude. i asked him how much it will be tho. he said around the $50,000 mark.

Well im guessing theyre gonna be here pretty soon since they have a few now up at mitsi-motors next to my work.

They now have 3 of these in 3 different colours.
    Black, Silver (grey), and the maroon colour. (the black one was getting groomed)

On the back its got the VR-X badge? Ill take my camera to work, and take a picture if they dont hide them. Usually they hide them inside the building.

Didnt really get to talk to the guy, but i see him pretty much everyday. Hopefully get to chat to him properly about them.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by HMG1K
    This is the Galant Fortis - or Lancer Sportsback hatch that will launch in the UK in 2009
    Forgot to say - when I was at Bridgend Mitsubishi last weekend the salesman showed me official - but as yet unrealeased to the media - photos of the Lancer hatchback... and I can confirm it looks just like the concept photos I posted before... Lovely looking car! The only downside was the colour, a pale sky blue, that it was shown in... Didn't do the car justice....

The Lancer hatchback is being launched around September 2008 in the UK - and is described as larger than a Ford Focus, but smaller than the new Ford Mondeo. I guess this is the current worldwide car (except the US because their galant is huge) to plug the absence of a Galant estate...

As you know the 8th generation Galant grew a bit in size to replace the Sigma when and there was a Galant estate to replace the 6th and 7th generation hatchbacks.

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

I quite like the new outlander, especially now they have a decent diseasal, but wouldnt bother with a nedcar mitsi having owned a carisma and a spacestar, they are ok and on par with other euro motors, but not built to the same standards as a jap built motor. nedcar mitsi certainly dont offer anything that a ford or similar cant provide - which is a bit of shame.

We have one of the last 2003 CJ colts which is jap built and there is no way the wife will change it for the new shape one - its looks plastic and cheap inside and certainly devoid of style!...

If the new lancer is jap built and of 8g size (-ish), I'd certainly consider a diesel one in a few years time

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by ritch_w
    I quite like the new outlander, especially now they have a decent diseasal, but wouldnt bother with a nedcar mitsi having owned a carisma and a spacestar, they are ok and on par with other euro motors, but not built to the same standards as a jap built motor. nedcar mitsi certainly dont offer anything that a ford or similar cant provide - which is a bit of shame.

We have one of the last 2003 CJ colts which is jap built and there is no way the wife will change it for the new shape one - its looks plastic and cheap inside and certainly devoid of style!...

If the new lancer is jap built and of 8g size (-ish), I'd certainly consider a diesel one in a few years time
    I completely agree with everything you say Ritch - The Ned-Noddy-Car built mitsubishis are hopeless!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast