Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Group buy on the Diayama coilovers

Last Online
    13-09-2007
    Country
    Scotland

Yes sure. if any orders taken now we are looking at end of Sept.
    MY Garage - DAIYAMA Coilover and VTTR 6 Pot Caliper Kit + More Contact us for details

Web: www.mygarage-glasgow.co.uk
    Mobile: 0780 362 0018
    E-mail: sales@mygarage-glasgow.co.uk
    MSN: gary_yuen42@hotmail.com

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    10-01-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4

John,

Did you ever order the Diayama Coilovers I paid the deposit for

You are not answering your PM or phone

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4 t/t

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    Sorry - after further talking and investigating, I have gone down the Tein Super Wagon route too. They are less than £500 shipped now.

I think you lot have fogotten that i am a offical tein dealer , ask me for prices
    group buy etc mind you if you can get suoer wagon shipped for £500 then that is good IN FACT TOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
    In fact foget the group buy i am going to buy direct from japan .............

on another note , now a blitz dealer

mind you nick you might pay vat and duty on them then the wty issues.........
    come i can sort this and i wll post priecs on a diffrent thread......
    Last edited by MR.VOODOO; 30-08-2007 at 09:27 AM.

Last Online
    13-09-2007
    Country
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Twpsin
    John,

Did you ever order the Diayama Coilovers I paid the deposit for

You are not answering your PM or phone
    I have just PM'd John also to find out the details... What spring rate you requires?

Name
    Wouter
    Last Online
    25-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    01 White Legnum

Just spotted these on Fleabay, does the user name look familiar?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Daiyama-Co...QQcmdZViewItem
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead."

Last Online
    13-09-2007
    Country
    Scotland

Yes they are also listed on Ebay by myself

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

Just ordered a set of these with DPX. They are still available to club members for £450 with the DPX another £150. I'll let you know how I get on with them when they arrive.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Cool! Do you know what your current suspension is? I see it isn't normal ride height but you haven't listed it in your garage?

Let us know how they compare!

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    Cool! Do you know what your current suspension is? I see it isn't normal ride height but you haven't listed it in your garage?

Let us know how they compare!
    I'm not sure to be honest. I think they are standard struts and HKS springs so I expect a good improvement as it does not like the roads up here and has bottomed out on the bumpstops a few times or grounded something

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

Gary has ordered the coilovers and he's having them sent over by air but I don't think they will be here until next year. Plenty time to find out what keeps draining my battery and fit the bigger intercooler

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

The coilovers are in the Uk so should be delivered soon. The design has been changed slightly after feed back from others as mentioned by Gary below.

"Also to mention we have requested the manufactuer to extend the front lower bracket by 20mm, to give you extra height at the front.
    As the previous version was too much of a drop as a feedback from test users"

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    96 Legnum VR-4

I have had my Daiyamas fitted for a few months now, supplied by Gary. Generally they are fine - I haven't gotten around to fitting the DPX units yet since I seem to have found damper settings I am quite happy with for allround motoring.

I did find that even with the lower bracket set on the max height that the suspension drop vs OEM was 45mm at the front and 40mm at the rear. That is with only 2mm of spring preload and sping rates of F:10kg/mm R:6kg/mm.

I have been finding that I have to be careful on the rutted and pot-holed roads around Aberdeen not to ground out (i.e. I usually hit the engine centre member or the exhaust Cat shielding) with that much drop. I had discussed with Gary about changing the height of the bracket to allow less of a minimum drop so it's excellent to hear the manufacturer is responding so quickly to users feedback.

One area I am still querying with Gary is the sound that these dampers make. The rear damper tunnels are located in the passenger cabin in the Legnum and there is a hole in the top of the tunnel (which allows easy access to change damper settings). I am getting quite a lot of 'squelching' sounds from these two dampers whenever I go over even relatively small bumps or dips in the road. If I hit a pothole they actually create a loud 'popping' sound.

Now I had the fronts fitted months before the rears and noticed no squelching or popping but then they are fitted in the engine bay. It was only when I fitted the rears that I got the sounds.

Is this normal for after-market coilovers? Nutter_John do you get the same sounds from the rears (or is the top of the tunnels into the boot compartment on the Saloon)?

I would have to remove them and refit the old ones if I want to send them back to Gary so I wanted to know if it is normal before doing that.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

could you Daiyama-experienced drivers tell me how comfortably the most comfortable settings is? (I know 'comfort' is quite a personal thing but please give it a shot if you please).

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    96 Legnum VR-4

From my other thread: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27668
    Quote Originally Posted by phosty
    However with the F:10kg/mm, R:6kg/mm I would say they are very similar to the stock springs/dampers in terms of firmness. I initially ran the fronts with the damping knob (0-32 clicks) set at 0 but I was finding that on fast roads with medium pot holes/dips or speedbumps I was grounding out (not sure on what yet - think it was the front centre member). At the other extreme 32 clicks it just gets a bit too rigid, and over the supermarket speedbumps the wheel wasn't rebounding fast enough even at slow speeds to prevent slight hopping of the fronts. So I have settled for the time being at 16 clicks, front and back. This seems to limit high speed bounces and limits oscillations to 1 bounce.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Thanks Phosty, but I don't know how the stock dampers feel, since I (nor anyone else here in the Netherlands) owns a VR4...

I would just like to know what to expect with the Daiyama kit, as I'm not looking for the same (missing) 'comfort' as my current AST coilovers offer. I want a smooth ride.

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    96 Legnum VR-4

Not sure how to explain really - it's all a bit subjective. The stock dampers/coils felt very stiff/firm to me the first time I drove my VR4. But then my previous ride was a Rover 800 - and Rover tried selling those to the Yanks so they had pretty wallowy suspension. After a while with the VR4 I got used to it. It barely rolled through corners in comparison to my old car. Speed bumps were definately something to be slowed down for though.

But I wanted to lower the car a bit since the standard VR4 looks like the arches are too big for wheels (IMO). So I got the Daiyamas fitted.

The springs are fixed rate compared to the factory ones (variable spacing/diameter - see photos in my other thread) so you don't get a steady ramp up - they are definately firmer all the way from the start of any movement. So I think I feel more small bumps that would be soaked up with the old ones. I slow down even more for speedbumps than I did before - because I have the damping knob set about 50%-75% they don't react too quickly to sudden bumps and they don't seem to rebound fast enough over vicious bumps to stop a bit of bang. I don't think I have hit the bump stops - I tend to hit the centre member or exhuast.

The standard suspension has LOTS of sag - try jacking up a wheel and see how high you have to get it before it lifts. The Daiyamas have probably <33% of the stock sag. When I jacked up the front wheel enough to allow me access to the transfer box I realised the rear wheel had lifted too! That didn't used to happen. So that means you feel sudden holes in the road a lot more.

There is only one damping knob so I assume that affects both compression and rebound damping equally - and there is no fine tuning for high speed and low speed compression. So any setting is going to have to be a compromise. But thats why they cost less than those with 3 way damping adjustment I guess. (I have the Fox 32 RC2 fork on my MTB which has all three - but that costs more than the Daiyamas alone!)

So now I feel like the car is much more 'planted' when travelling at higher speeds (and on smooth highways) - but at slower speeds (or rough roads) the ride is compromised a little in comparison to the standard suspension.

I like the Daiyamas (so far). I have had no prior experience of 'performance cars' - other than being driven in a mates Evo7 and that just rattled it was so stiff - so I can't give you any comparisons really. I think I would like it able to be just a touch higher (I understand the newer ones have been modified) to start with so you can move it down until you start getting problems.

Dunno - does that help?

It might be nice if they figured out a way to have damping that varies with speed - like the new TT (as an option). Ah well.
    Last edited by phosty; 14-01-2008 at 06:40 PM.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by phosty
    It might be nice if they figured out a way to have damping that varies with speed - like the new TT (as an option). Ah well.
    I believe you can purchase a system that does this. It has individual stepper motors over each damper and a controller that sits in the cabin. I am not sure if it is able to increase or decrease the dampening based on speed though.

Personally I would have the damper rate set a low lower than that, ramping it up only when I go out for a drive on which I know I will want the extra stability.
    Not only will this make the ride more comfortable, it will place less stress on the dampers and may increase their life expectancy.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

thats the TEIN edfc system you're talking about there Kenneth. It doesn't automatically adjust, but you are right about being able to adjust it from the cabin.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    thats the TEIN edfc system you're talking about there Kenneth. It doesn't automatically adjust, but you are right about being able to adjust it from the cabin.
    No, I am talking about the Diayama Electronic Damper Controller.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Thanks Phosty, this is very helpfull. As you said, these kind of things are very subjective, but you gave me a proper insight. I think my current setup will be very comparable to the daiyama setup. If you don't mind feeling most little bumps and also don't mind going at granny speed over speed bumps it's exactly right, as it offers good grip and you can corner very fast.

Can anyone here advise me on a much more 'smooth' suspension for the VR2/4 ? I'd still like it to be lowered a bit, as the wheel arches (stock) show indeed rather large ugly gaps.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast