Ersan
    Last Online
    21-01-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    EC5A

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    +40? Heaps of room! If you are worried about clearance, don't be. There would be only (Roughly) 18mm less clearance over stock PFL rims. So if you have a PFL Galant, you will have stacks of room. My PFL leggie had 8" wide evo rims with 235's and it still didn't rub on the un-rolled rear wheel arches.

Does that help at all?

Edit:

Just noticed this from your earlier post:

How the heck could you possibly be rubbing?? I ran on my old PFL Leggie, 18 x 7 +40 rims with 225 tyres and seriously, there was sooooo much room. Do your rears have massive + Camber? That just sound like something is wrong.
    Okay, heres the reason of the question. I am running currently, GAB Coil Over + Rim (17 Inch 7 Widht ET 40) + Tyre (215/50/17). I set the GAB height 3 finger gap(my finger , I am bit chubby so the finger set could be misleading) more less 10 cm between the tyre and front fender, 4 finger at the rear.

The tyre went fine no rubbing. Rear ground clearance is okay, but I dont like at ground clearance at the front as the street condition here, unbelievable awfull. And honestly I dont like the GAB coilover characteristic feel. I would say, the feeling of GAB coilover is great for racing, but not for daily use, not comfortable even with low stiffness setting. I guess thats because vr4 has more weight than any 8G galant. The GAB is for 7G and 8G galant, not specific for vr4.

The cars don't have the stock coil over when I got it, I just wonder what the finger GAP outcome when using Stock coil over + current wheel. If the height is still suit my need, I might swap the GAB coilover into a stock one

Heres current pic of my car to show the tyre gap

Last edited by ersanalamin; 09-03-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: any idea?

Name
    Felipe
    Last Online
    07-01-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 manual VR4

i just installed evo 6 mags on mine.. 235 45 17s. didnt need to roll the guards.. mean ride lmao

Name
    Ersan
    Last Online
    21-01-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    EC5A

Quote Originally Posted by thfelipeth View Post
    i just installed evo 6 mags on mine.. 235 45 17s. didnt need to roll the guards.. mean ride lmao
    Just to make clear, example on thegalantcenter.net

Evo 9 rim + 235/45 tyre

http://www.thegalantcenter.net/showt...galante&page=4

I love it

Name
    Felipe
    Last Online
    07-01-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 manual VR4

Quote Originally Posted by ersanalamin View Post
    Just to make clear, example on thegalantcenter.net

Evo 9 rim + 235/45 tyre

http://www.thegalantcenter.net/showt...galante&page=4

I love it
    oops im only human must have the wrong tire size or mag.. i would go to the garage but the car is at the shop getting the manual gearbox rebuilt.. will post again soon lol

Name
    Trevor
    Last Online
    05-05-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    98 S1 Legnum Ty

Quote Originally Posted by ersanalamin View Post
    Okay, heres the reason of the question. I am running currently, GAB Coil Over + Rim (17 Inch 7 Widht ET 40) + Tyre (215/50/17). I set the GAB height 3 finger gap(my finger , I am bit chubby so the finger set could be misleading) more less 10 cm between the tyre and front fender, 4 finger at the rear.

The tyre went fine no rubbing. Rear ground clearance is okay, but I dont like at ground clearance at the front as the street condition here, unbelievable awfull. And honestly I dont like the GAB coilover characteristic feel. I would say, the feeling of GAB coilover is great for racing, but not for daily use, not comfortable even with low stiffness setting. I guess thats because vr4 has more weight than any 8G galant. The GAB is for 7G and 8G galant, not specific for vr4.

The cars don't have the stock coil over when I got it, I just wonder what the finger GAP outcome when using Stock coil over + current wheel. If the height is still suit my need, I might swap the GAB coilover into a stock one

Heres current pic of my car to show the tyre gap

Your car may raise up at the front a bit with stock suspension but not much more (If any) at the rears.

I ran GAB coilovers (Albeit, Legnum ones) on my Leggie and they were pretty harsh but that was because my preload spring was wound all the way up. So check that. Maybe you are losing all your travel.

Now, as for the rubbing. I still dont understand how?! But sounds like you need to take the rear wheels off and grab your heat gun and a rubber mallet!

Name
    Ersan
    Last Online
    21-01-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    EC5A

Your car may raise up at the front a bit with stock suspension but not much more (If any) at the rears.

I ran GAB coilovers (Albeit, Legnum ones) on my Leggie and they were pretty harsh but that was because my preload spring was wound all the way up. So check that. Maybe you are losing all your travel.

Now, as for the rubbing. I still dont understand how?! But sounds like you need to take the rear wheels off and grab your heat gun and a rubber mallet!
    Ha ha ha thanks for advice. No more tyre rubbing after i fix the rear trailing arm. is it okay with u how GAB coilover behave with ur car? BTW does the ralliart coil over still availabe? I think I am ready to make a purchasing.

Any comment/advice from another member?

Name
    Trevor
    Last Online
    05-05-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    98 S1 Legnum Ty

Ralliart struts gone my friend.

Name
    Terry
    Last Online
    06-02-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2003 Blue rx8

Thought I would ask in here.

My understaning is If i have ab rembo brake upgrade on my vr4, if alloys fit an 5 stud evo they will fit mine yeah?

as yesterday i was being fed a line about "X" factor of larger brakes vs spoke cleance, was told just because a alloy has +35 offset it may still not fit my car due to my brembo's
    Now i am completely at a loss on what to do.

someone want to break down the fitting into something a 5 yo could undertand?

tyia

day dreaming of 13b's , huge ports and suicide doors, and a few other things too I cant say here.

Name
    Trevor
    Last Online
    05-05-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    98 S1 Legnum Ty

The clearance issue with Brembos is more spoke design than offset and or width.

You can run a rim that is 7.5" wide an +38 and clear but try and run a 9.5 +35 and not!

Some rims that have heavy taper won't clear - unless they are in ridiculous (won't fit a VR4) offset. Generally, if a rim fits on a evo 5-9 they obviously clear brembos. But remember, evo's require rims that are like 9 to 9.5" wide and offsets in the low to mid 20's to look flush - all of which won't fit a VR4 without major work.

We have a really good thread over at ozvr4 that is dedicated to rims that both clear brembos and fit on your VR4. Check it out

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

As Trev said, first thing to do is to find out if it fits and Evo, then if that size is suitable for a VR-4.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Terry
    Last Online
    06-02-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2003 Blue rx8

lookinjg at 19x8 offset +31 with clearance for "big" brakes apparently has a 45mm deep dish lip..
    but i cant take a risk with how much i am paying and having to import.

bottom line does anyone foresee any possible probs with 19x8 +31 offset?

tyaia

The clearance issue with Brembos is more spoke design than offset and or width.

You can run a rim that is 7.5" wide an +38 and clear but try and run a 9.5 +35 and not!

Some rims that have heavy taper won't clear - unless they are in ridiculous (won't fit a VR4) offset. Generally, if a rim fits on a evo 5-9 they obviously clear brembos. But remember, evo's require rims that are like 9 to 9.5" wide and offsets in the low to mid 20's to look flush - all of which won't fit a VR4 without major work.

We have a really good thread over at ozvr4 that is dedicated to rims that both clear brembos and fit on your VR4. Check it out

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

have had
    17x7.5 +48et with 215/45/17 no brembos rays gram lights
    17x7.5 +38et with 235/45/17 with brembos evo 6.5 tommi rims
    17x8 +38et with 235/45/17 with brembos evo 9 rims
    no rub on any of these, even with un-rolled guards

Name
    Trevor
    Last Online
    05-05-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    98 S1 Legnum Ty

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
    lookinjg at 19x8 offset +31 with clearance for "big" brakes apparently has a 45mm deep dish lip..
    but i cant take a risk with how much i am paying and having to import.

bottom line does anyone foresee any possible probs with 19x8 +31 offset?

tyaia
    8" +31 will require just a basic roll of the rear guards. You are lowering it a bit aren't you? This will ensure the fronts sit flush.

As for tyre, i think from memory a 235 x 35 works to keep close to stock rolling diameter (Or was that 225 x 35?) Someone will confirm.

Name
    Felipe
    Last Online
    07-01-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 manual VR4

i know was a while ago. but just confirming mine are 235 45 17 on evo 6 wheels.. they came with 235s and had to replace them with 235s. if you need pics, by all means ill provide them. cheers

Name
    Murray
    Last Online
    21-06-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1996 VR4 Legnum

Quote Originally Posted by bradc View Post
    My car is on 17's, check out my gallery by clicking on my name and going to view my car, it looks fine on 17's! More important is lowering the car, especially at the front.
    What width are you rims brad?

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncy View Post
    What width are you rims brad?
    They are 9.5" wide.

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Type V Saloon
    My Garage
    Visit

Having read through this thread i thought that the evo 5 wheels that i brought (17x7.5" 38mm offset) would fit without any probs,
    but they protrude from the arches so would i need to lower my car for them to fit or roll the arches
    Thanks

Pics

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/skybroadb...skybroadband1/

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    29-05-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 VR4 | 01 CF4

Quote Originally Posted by MYKEY View Post
    Having read through this thread i thought that the evo 5 wheels that i brought (17x7.5" 38mm offset) would fit without any probs,
    but they protrude from the arches so would i need to lower my car for them to fit or roll the arches
    Thanks

Pics

Cant see the pics.... Can you upload them to the forum?

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Type V Saloon
    My Garage
    Visit

There we go, thats better
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Marc
    Last Online
    05-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-3 TurboX

Were there any spacers fitted for the old wheels? I had a set for my car and they fitted fine (but it is lowered), Foxdie's got them now and I dont think he had any issues?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast