Mark
    Last Online
    24-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum vr4 A

Thumbs down Leaking moon roof

With all of the rain recently I have noticed the vr4 getting steamed up in the mornings. When I was in it at the weekend when it was raining I had a look to see if I could determine where the water was coming in from.
    I located two drips - one on either side of the of the moon roof - dripping through the rubber seal towards the back of the moon roof (above the back seat).
    Water then drips down onto some metal rails and then disappears somewhere between the roof and the roof lining? This surely isn't supposed to happen?! The car definitely smells damp and the fogging up is me off! Has anyone had a similar problem as I want to get it looked at and thought I would ask before I take it to Mitsi to get it looked at - hopefully still under warranty!
    I can pass anything on the road but a petrol station!

Drive it like you stole it!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    02-09-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4 Legn

You could try opening the moon roof to see if any cracks are visible and try using clear silicon gel to seal it

Or instead of using Mits in not under warranty a windscreen company might help
    Nick

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

There are rubber tubes from each corner of the moonroof tray IIRC. They channel the water through the car and out. The idea is that the seal around the roof glass will never be perfect, so the small amount of water that does get through ends up in the drains. If this really is the source of the problem, then maybe one or more of your water channels is blocked?

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    24-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum vr4 A

Thanks for that - subaru eta suggested the same thing. Whats the best method of cleaning these drains?

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

Find out where they drain out of the car (rear ones are somewhere inside the back bumper, front ones drain into the wheelarch behind the plastic liner.

Wait until a nice warm sunny day and use a hose to force water up the drain pipes, hopefully clearing the blockage? Or you need to strip out the roof lining and disconnect the drain pipes and try and unblock them?
    No longer empty and frantic...