Kevin
    Last Online
    04-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Fiat

Boost Levels

How much boost can the vr4 engine safely take (EC5W)?

What are the power gains from altering the boost.

As we all know more boost can provide more power but at what cost to the engine.

I know from experience that the Maserati biturbo engine are bullet proof unless you over boost them and engine rebuilds are expensive. I should think the vr4 lump would be as well.

What boost controller would you recommend, if any.

Thanks

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

You can normally get them up to about 1 bar before you hit fuel cut. The turbos are too small to do any real damage to the engine, I've got an aftermarket ecu so I don't have fuel cut at all and I'm running at 1.3bar without any problems.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    You can normally get them up to about 1 bar before you hit fuel cut. The turbos are too small to do any real damage to the engine, I've got an aftermarket ecu so I don't have fuel cut at all and I'm running at 1.3bar without any problems.
    0.9/1 bar is about the safe limit, though on standard fuelling you could be asking for trouble if something lets go - Also, because the turbos on these cars are so small, pushing them to 1 bar is stretching them - whilst we don't have compressor maps to verify this, I would say they would be like the standard Jap-Spec 3000GT turbos (TD04-9b) and some way out of their efficiency zone at this boost level, but it can be done and many people do, quite safely.

I disagree with Brad's comment that the turbos are too small to do any real damage - As I've mentioned, if it leans out then they will quite happily start to blow chunks off of pistons, as we've already seen in the club several times!

If you're looking at increasing the power, then yes, VR-4s do respond well to upped boost, it's much better if it's combined with exhaust modifications - the entire factory system (Downpipes, cat and cat-back) is restrictive and you'll benefit from sorting this out.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

yeah that has happened a few times, but looks at how many people are running high boost, as a percentage the amount of engine failures are very small.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    yeah that has happened a few times, but looks at how many people are running high boost, as a percentage the amount of engine failures are very small.
    Sure Brad - I agree. What I'm saying is that the closer to 1 bar (and beyond) that you run, the more at risk you are of something going pop and causing trouble - even if it's just something daft like the intercooler hoses blowing off!

As I say, many members run at 0.9 or 1 bar all the time - they can take it quite safely, all things being equal - but if something daft does happen (say your fuel pump starts to go and the fuel delivery rate drops) then you're gonna know about it sooner rather than later if you know what I mean.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

yeah I knew what you meant all along, but I think for 99% of people upping to 1 bar will be perfectly safe.

Something that is interesting about fuel pumps is that while noone (well I can't think of anyone) has had their stock fuel pump die on them, over here quite a lot of places seem to think Legnum fuel pumps die all the time and they replace them regularly on cars. Maybe it is just non-vr4's?

Name
    Kevin
    Last Online
    04-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Fiat

so can the boost levels be altered via the standard ecu

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

no,

you need to fit a boost controller of some sort,

either a boost tap/bleed valve, or a electronic boost controller.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Might be worth buying yourself a wideband and a good boost gauge with your boost controller. You can check your fuelling is good, then.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    Might be worth buying yourself a wideband and a good boost gauge with your boost controller. You can check your fuelling is good, then.
    A wise precaution. Okay, it's well known that VR-4s run quite amazingly rich on the standard maps, even with 99 octane in the tank - even on boosted cars it's not uncommon to see 10:1 AFR at WOT, but that's assuming everything is tickety boo. Monitoring things may just be the key to an early warning and backing off in time, or the dreaded DET DET DET and a trashed piston or two! - And also, they'll be of great benefit to you in the future if you wish to fiddle with the fuelling.