Simon
    Last Online
    07-08-2012
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    '96 black legnu

ecu remap/reflash.

i have been offered a remap/reflash of the standard ecu for my leggy but when i inquired into who does them etc the guy was not too forth coming with the info.
    is there a remap/reflash out there that people know of? or are there too many to mention?
    it is something that i would like to have but would like to hear other peoples views on remaps for the legnum. i had one on my old civic and it was great but if people have had problems with remaps i would like to know.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    02-09-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4 Legn

I may be wrong here but I'm sure I read in here that you can't remap / reflush the ECU

I think its a piggy back ECU added

You could try searching for ECU
    Nick

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Altered fuel is a good thing on VR4s, they tend to run quite rich!

But a remap on a standard ecu is not possible. From what I understand, the ecu will take it, but only until you turn the ignition off, at which point it reverts back to its normal settings. Someone on here has tried it, at a place in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. It didn't work.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Ou of interest does adding an ECU help improve economy? Given how rich the cars run surely adding the piggy back ECUs would pay for themselves if they can reduce the wasted fuel and therefore increase economy......assuming you don't use the ECU for more .

I'm looking at the Profec EBC with the option to add in the ECU afterwards.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    18-09-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    nowt

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    But a remap on a standard ecu is not possible. From what I understand, the ecu will take it, but only until you turn the ignition off, at which point it reverts back to its normal settings. Someone on here has tried it, at a place in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. It didn't work.
    It is possible but not in the standard remap way the Chip would need to be removed from the board and the entered this way
    So not very user friendly but iff you had a face lift you could reflash that into a preface lift providing chips are the same. Or even some off the Mines ?? ecu

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee
    Ou of interest does adding an ECU help improve economy? Given how rich the cars run surely adding the piggy back ECUs would pay for themselves if they can reduce the wasted fuel and therefore increase economy......assuming you don't use the ECU for more .

I'm looking at the Profec EBC with the option to add in the ECU afterwards.

It all depends on how you drive it and how it is mapped.

For example, some people do run a very lean mixture at cruise, even though stoicometric is 14.7. If this 'cruise map' ( to put it simply) is somewhat of a knife edge (giving you the 14.7 on cruise only, and rapidly richening up when you slightly increase engine load) then as long as you drive it accordinly then you should have some good economy. But what you have to remember is that the factory ecu when in closed loop mode does try and shoot for 14.7 anyway.

Certainly on full chat though you will be using less fuel,as long as your retaining the same quantity of air used, ie same quantity of boost, than you would have been with standard fueling. afr's of around 9 have been seen for the VR4 at the top end, which is what kills that top end power.

Dont know if any of that made any sense, im quite tired and hungry.... i feel a quality fast food establishment calling!

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    07-08-2012
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    '96 black legnu

thanks for all the replies people, so it looks like it is not possible for a remap of the standard ecu.
    i will try and get some more info out of him and see if he will tell me what chip/remap it is.

is there a certain piggy back ecu i should stay well clear of or are they pretty much ok which ever one it is??

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

There isn't much to choose between piggy backs. Just the price. I have a unichip and it does its job well enough. If I started again now, I would seriously consider a MAP2.

If you search on here for emanange, map2, unichip etc, you should get a lot of feedback. Many people are running ecus of one sort or another.

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    07-08-2012
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    '96 black legnu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    There isn't much to choose between piggy backs. Just the price. I have a unichip and it does its job well enough. If I started again now, I would seriously consider a MAP2.

If you search on here for emanange, map2, unichip etc, you should get a lot of feedback. Many people are running ecus of one sort or another.

cheers

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    96 Legnum VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by stuartturbo
    It is possible but not in the standard remap way the Chip would need to be removed from the board and the entered this way
    So not very user friendly but iff you had a face lift you could reflash that into a preface lift providing chips are the same. Or even some off the Mines ?? ecu
    Do you mean extracting a facelift chip from the ecu board, copying it with a chip reader/flasher, then rewriting it's dump to the chip from a prefacelift?

If so, you would have done all the hard part anyway - aren't there some guys on the OpenECU forum that have already dumped the VR4 ecu chip?

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic....ghlight=6a13tt

If you could edit this data before writing it back to the chip (or maybe a rewriteable version of it with Pin-to-Pin compatability) then you would be there. But the last time I checked the OpenECU forum the VR4 chip dump had not been decoded to be readable in ECUFlash.

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    18-09-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    nowt

Quote Originally Posted by phosty
    Do you mean extracting a facelift chip from the ecu board, copying it with a chip reader/flasher, then rewriting it's dump to the chip from a prefacelift?

If so, you would have done all the hard part anyway - aren't there some guys on the OpenECU forum that have already dumped the VR4 ecu chip?

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic....ghlight=6a13tt

If you could edit this data before writing it back to the chip (or maybe a rewriteable version of it with Pin-to-Pin compatability) then you would be there. But the last time I checked the OpenECU forum the VR4 chip dump had not been decoded to be readable in ECUFlash.
    Yes that is it. I have not done it but i believe others have.
    If you knew what each point did and change it but to map this is not practical, as you would change points refit check remove mod refit

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

Latest version of ECUflash can be used to dump the VR-4 ROM, but does not yet support reflash for the H8/500 processor. Reflash IS possible (the Russian VR-4 club have done it) but Colby is still working on ironing out some bugs before enabling the reflash for our ECU's in ECUflash.

Screenshots of my freshly dumped pre-facelift ROM can be downloaded here

Would be useful to get hold of a facelift ROM to compare the maps.

aDe

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    18-09-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    nowt

I would like one to try but not got the wedge to do it apparently the face lift is better

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

You at Japshow , as you can have a dump of my rom if you want , would be good to compare the differences

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

You are welcome to read mine if/when the opportunity arises. But I kind of need it...!

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

Yes I'm at Japshow. Will bring laptop and cable so I can suck the lifeblood from a facelift.

aDe

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by AderC
    Yes I'm at Japshow. Will bring laptop and cable so I can suck the lifeblood from a facelift.

aDe

Lookout, it's Count Adeula, the Data Vampire!

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

looking forward to seeing the two maps together

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

I'd be fascinated to see the difference. I think the facelift has a little more timing, but its just a feeling!

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I don't know the differences, but the facelift is rated at 0.5kgm more torque, and is just better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast