Paul
    Last Online
    23-06-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    96 8g Gal VR4 m

EOI: Brembos on a Prefacelift bolt on kit

Hey guys, I know this is a bit premature as I don't have my car yet but it has been complianced now, just a few weeks away for the plate and delivery, but anyway...

My bro-in-law's mate custom makes parts for pretty much any car to put anything anywhere (stop giggling you lot lol). For example he made a fantastic tray/bracket for re-mounting a battery to in front of the front wheel arch in my bro-in-law's VH commo with an RB25 in it, he made the gearbox crossmember from scratch and it absolutely smashes the ADR's it needs to pass for engineering.

Anyway, his work is awesome. When I have my car we're going to make up adaptors to get the brembos to bolt onto pre-facelift hubs in such a way that you will not have to worry about any sensors.

As we all know the current way to get brembos on a pre-facelift is to swap the sensors, hubs etc, this is costly as the parts are generally hard to find from what I've been told and read on here.

These adaptors will come with ready-to-go ADR COMPLIANT braided brake lines. I haven't the capital to supply them with brembos...but maybe later on I will do such a thing.

The other thing that is awesome is that ANY aftermarket brake kit for the Evo's that bolt on will bolt onto these adaptors. So you're not limited to brembos if you can't find any...or want better brakes again (After holding Evo 9 brembos in my hands for the first time the other day...I'd be very surprised if you'd want more lol)

I have no idea on pricing yet as I don't have my car and therefore the R&D hasn't started. I will do the kits as cheaply as possible but keep in mind I will have to cover the R&D costs (my bro-in-law's mate's work is fantastic...but it's not free unfortunately and neither are the braided lines). I do have mates in the industry but it's never free or as cheap as people may think, a lot of industries are in the same boat now too...but that's another topic lol

All I'm after at the moment is just to see a general interest. I'll post up more details later and I'll definitely keep you all posted. As soon as I get my car I'm heading to his workshop to get started on the work.

And for the sake of information, the reason why I'm doing this is simply because I just KNOW there has to be an easier way to put brembos on a pre-facelift. I do this kinda thing out of my own curiosity and when it works I pass the info, or product on. I did the same thing with my DOHC 24v 6G72 3.0l V6 swap into a TR Magna when I was on Aussie Magna. Noone had done it before, so I did it and I passed all the info on I could. Now there's several of them lol

Right...enough of my essay...who's interested?

Cheers
    -Paul

PS, this EOI has been approved by the committee.

Name
    stuart
    Last Online
    13-05-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    530d touring

I've already done mine a few months ago, and it was only luck that a set of facelift hub carriers came up, but they do seem rare now.. I wish someone had done a caliper bracket and I'd have had it in a snap.. Good luck with it..!!

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit

goodluck with the work mate ,keep us updated ! any idea how long off its goin to be ?? do i get some brembos now or wit for santa to bring em
    ian

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    23-06-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    96 8g Gal VR4 m

Well my car is finally approved for compliance. We're just waiting delivery of the plate which takes about a week, then delivery of my car which takes about the same amount of time. Then the very next weekend I'm heading down south to my sis's fiance and his mate to get started on the bracket.

So we should see them in time for a nice early xmas present. Start keeping an eye out for brembos, as I will do my best to have these done before xmas, I reckon I'll have them done by mid Nov at the latest.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    23-06-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    96 8g Gal VR4 m

Oh I also talked to the supplier of the lines yesterday, they told me that the lines are actually available in different colours. It will be an extra charge but there's red, blue, yellow and I think green. Also you can get the fittings in stainless steel if you want. Good for longevity, but not essential, they will be an extra charge too.

Anyway, just some cool custom options

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    23-06-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    96 8g Gal VR4 m

Just another update. The workshop is expecting the car to be all done and complied next week. It's then another 5 days for delivery (The car is in South Australia and I'm in NSW, so it's a fair distance). So I should have them ready to go by the end of this month!

Also, I was asked this on Ozvr4 so I thought I better let you guys know too, the lines are proper crimped lines, pressure tested to 3000PSI. I will not sell anything dodgy...I refuse to, there's just no point.

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit

its lookin good then , (green brake lines !!!) green as in dark green or green as in kermit green ?
    ian

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    23-06-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    96 8g Gal VR4 m

I'll find out for you mate. I might even be able to get some pics in the next week or so.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi,?, any joy How are you getting on with the brackets, any joy?, I looked into it bit using the evo brembos the spacing just seemed too tight, I was looking for alternative brembos, but found a set of hub carriers and just changed the lot, let us know how you get on, god luck
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    23-06-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    96 8g Gal VR4 m

No progress till I get my car. It's "supposed" to be all complied this week but we'll wait and see. As soon as I have it I'll be onto it.

I just bought RDA slotted rotors for the front and back and Ferodo DB1678FF Pads for the front and Ferodo DB1521FF pads for the rear. Cost me $925AU all up, pretty happy with that So I have everything I need to get started except the car lol

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi just for your info, When I fitted the evo 8 brembo calipers, you need to fit the evo discs also as the line up is different!, so you end up with the brembo calipers and discs from an evo.
    Depending on how you are putting it all together, you may have probs fitting the VR4 discs to Evo calipers.
    You probably have it all sussed etc, but I am just giving a quick mention of this (just incase), cheers Louis

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    23-06-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    96 8g Gal VR4 m

Cheers mate I did do my research first and realised this. That's why I have the RDA slotted Evo rotors ready to go. They're also a different size by the look of them.

More good news. My car is complianced...I will see it next week!!!!!!

And for those who are interested, the place that's doing the hoses for me is an agent for this mob: http://www.braidedhoses.com.au/

The hoses will come with a certificate of compliance and they are also ADR APPROVED...not just "compliant". The difference being that APPROVED lines are actually tested...whereas "compliant" lines are just assumed to be safe as they have the same specs as ADR rulings on paper only.

I know this doesn't mean much for UK or NZ, but Australia has some pretty strict and tough Design Rules and Regs so it means you should have no problem having them in your cars overseas.

All the different colour options are available too...so have a snoop around that site.

Name
    Rich
    Last Online
    14-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United States
    My Garage
    Visit

I can get the parts needed for the conversion from Mitsubishi directly. If anyone is interested, I can get prices this week for the hubs and ABS parts needed.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    23-06-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    96 8g Gal VR4 m

Brackets will be a hell of a lot cheaper and much less hassle however.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

how much?

Quote Originally Posted by Wakaba
    I can get the parts needed for the conversion from Mitsubishi directly. If anyone is interested, I can get prices this week for the hubs and ABS parts needed.
    Wakaba, Can you post prices please?.

VR-04-tt, sorry mate, was just checking, Look forward to hear how you get on, brakets would be great, and would make the brembos a much easier swap, good luck

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    23-06-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    96 8g Gal VR4 m

No need to be sorry mate, it's all good. I'd rather people help out and make sure

Name
    Rich
    Last Online
    14-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United States
    My Garage
    Visit

I am actually working today, so no prices for you.... I will swing by my local parts suppliers and the Mitusbishi parts store for prices.

You will need;
    R/L 98+ hubs
    ABS brake lines for EVO VIII
    EVO VIII rotors

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Wakaba
    I am actually working today, so no prices for you.... I will swing by my local parts suppliers and the Mitusbishi parts store for prices.

You will need;
    R/L 98+ hubs
    ABS brake lines for EVO VIII
    EVO VIII rotors
    what about ther ABS sensors themself as the prefacelift ones have a shorter barrel body than the facelift ones. when you fit prefacelift abs sensor in facelift hubs they sit too far away fron the tone ring (abs ring) and will not pick up the motion of the ring revolving with the wheel.
    there is a thread on here somewhere with a mod to the sensor which is a bit heath robinson bit i believe it worked.

this lot is not going to be cheap!!

hope this helps

Dave

Bye for Now!

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yeah,
    ABS sensors,
    longer caliper bolts,
    brembo calipers.

Last Online
    24-02-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4 Type S

Has there been any movement on any of this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast