Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

EVO 4's have the same calipers on them as facelift VR-4's. They might be similar to EVO 1-3, but obviously those cars have 4 stud hubs

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

I'm sure someone posted elsewhere that they don't match. There's no way I'm going to pay £1500+ wheels to uprate the brakes, regardless of how much safer it makes it. Id rather keep my speed down to solve any issues.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Keith
    Last Online
    04-07-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR4, MT & AT

Lee how u arrive at this figure £1500?

Name
    Keith
    Last Online
    04-07-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR4, MT & AT

Can the idea of custom brackets work out to be a better / cheaper option over facelift hubs?

Is there any ball park figure for such bracket idea?

How serious is the shortage of supply of facelift hubs?

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by phosty
    Now I fully understand. Thanks Kenneth.

Out of interest but slightly off topic, do Endless do a VR4 specific set (for pre-facelift)? Pricewise they seem similar to AP/KAD (i.e. £1700ish for RX7 units).
    Endless are the same as AP/KAD

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

KHK, I was reffering to the AP/KAD price quoted by phosty (see quote in Kenneth's comment above) at £1700 for RX7 units.

I'm guessing the hubs are pretty rare here as there's always a wait on them. I think that part of the problem may be the requirement to do the work on the hubs. How difficult is the job for an enthuisast to do DIY?

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    96 Legnum VR-4

I have seen a couple of pairs of AP 4pot calipers for 330mm discs on eBay (for Sierra Cosworths actually) for around £700-800. But even if we get a bracket for them made up we would also have to get disc bells made up too. So you're probably looking at close to £1000 anyway. For second hand items.

Last year I had been talking with Gary Yuen at MY-Garage about big brake upgrades for Pre-facelift hubs from the Taiwanese(?) manufacturer VTTR.

http://vttr.ourpower.com.tw/cubepor0...a4-2&PreView=1

They seemed keen to produce them for the VR4 (for around £750 per pair) and took all the dimensions I gave them. However they hadn't produced a set after 6 months. They then said they weren't willing to do alloy bells - just solid discs - unless I ordered 3 sets.

I read around a bit and decided that I didn't want to be a guinea pig so asked for my deposit back.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=161918

So I figured the only way to get (proven, reliable, safe) big brakes for my pre-facelift is to spend big money with one of the established brake manufacturers.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    23-06-2013
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    96 8g Gal VR4 m

Hey guys, I sound like a broken record here and I apologise, but I didn't end up going down as my aunty passed away on the monday before I was to go. It was all very sudden.

I'm in a bit of a financial pinch at the moment (rent has gone up ggrrr) so I'm saving what I can to get this finished...I have all the parts ready to go now, just need to put the cash aside for the labour charge.

I'll keep you informed!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123