Thread: Pre and Post Boost Controller Power

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Pre and Post Boost Controller Power

My Blitz boost controller is being fitted tomorrow, so I decided to take the VR4 for a blast just now to get a current maximum power reading as a basis to compare improvements INSERT INTO post VALUES (hopefully!).

I am using my Apexi RSM for this and I have this set up as a Subaru Legacy for power readings INSERT INTO post VALUES (not as precise as BDA has done but I have nowhere to manually set it up around here); but this will be fine for this exercise anyhow.

Best reading: 279Ps = 275Bhp @ 5783rpm INSERT INTO post VALUES (Ps to Bhp = x 0.98632)

This is probably fairly accurate anyhow as I have a pre-facelift 260Ps ECU and have the induction, exhaust and de-cat done.

Any comments on this reading, and I will post some more readings tomorrow using the same settings for comparison.

Name
    Mohammed
    Last Online
    07-04-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom

good luck mate, and make sure you have the right settings pete as the boost controller can be abit of a dangerous toy
    NO More VR4 for me, well ive still got the 6G

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Thanks mate, yeah I will take care - although I have a little function which BDA has advised me you and he don't have - a boost limiter to prevent over boost ! I can set the max boost and once it hits this it reduces the power to whatever I set it to. As long as I set this first I can't go far wrong INSERT INTO post VALUES ( I hope)

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Good luck! can't wait to see the results.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

The power levels are a bit high, the reading you get is that at the wheels so if you are getting 280 at the wheels I would leave well alone It will do to get some comparisons though!

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Thats what I thought Dave, leave as it is for now until I can set it up like you. Anyhow, wish me luck - off in a minute !

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

Good Luck! Pics would be good

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Things are not good !

Install went fine - but.......cannot stop car over boosting !

Seems the single solenoid may not be able to cope with the twin turbo on the VR4. Spoken to Blitz UK and he had no settings or nothing for our car, but suggested the solenoid may be the issue. It does not damn well say that on the websites though ! He reckoned if our turbos spool up together then may be too much for it to handle INSERT INTO post VALUES (??but meant to cope with 18psi); where some twin turbos the 2nd turbo kicks in later than the 1st so should cope with these. ???? Help anybody ??????

Dave, any thoughts mate ?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

The Apexi uses a single solenoid just fine, what sort of settings are you trying?

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

As low as 10 Ratio and 0 gain mate

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Looks like I may have to get the Spec R which has dual solenoids and sell the Spec S. Another £200+ up the spout by the look of it. Taking the car back to the garage who fitted it tonight at 7.30 INSERT INTO post VALUES (yes, 7.30! damn they are good) to get them to double check everything and make it safe to drive until I sort a Spec R if required.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

To be honest with you something sounds wrong with the installation. With such low settings you should see only about 0.5Bar boost. The solenoid should be shut for 90% of the time, as I said yesterday it is a fail safe system.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Thanks Dave, fingers crossed this end. Don't really want to have to part with more cash at this time. I will update once I see them tonight.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

When you say overboosting, how much by? Do you have the installation instructions at all that you can post?

I reckon something is very wrong with your plumbing!

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

They still have the Japanese manual that came with it but there were no specifics for our engine in it anyhow, but they re-assurred me it was no problem. Overboosting, well as soon as I floored it in any gear it would shoot past the 0.9bar limiter and I would sh1t myself ! Peak hold was 1.46 at one point !

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

Take this with you tonight, it is very useful!

diagram

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Great minds and all that, just downloaded and printed that page from the Apexi USA website mate - thanks

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Okay we have an update, and it's good news !

After much bonnet up, fiddle, bonnet down test and repeat several times we established that one pipe was connected wrongly and we have a working boost controller ! Boy, am I a relieved man - I was NOT popular when I told Shaz more money may be required earlier INSERT INTO post VALUES (she didn't want one in the first place).

Anyhow, had a quick play up and down the motorway and with a ratio of 70 and a gain of 10 I got a max reading of 306 Ps INSERT INTO post VALUES (which is 27 up on yesterday ); however a quick 0-60 test proved a little slower than standard so need to tinker a bit more.

Not had chance to take any pics yet but will do so at the weekend and post them. The controller is nicely stowed away in the "fag packet" holder.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

I am thinking that slower 0-60 times mean that the gain is not up high enough - peak power is up, but the time to get there is too long! Take a look at the graph in my long boost spiking post and have a go with your new Camcorder mount and record the power throughout the rev range in 3rd and 4th gear INSERT INTO post VALUES (on a test track ) as displayed on your RSM. Follow the directions on the boost spiking thread and see what you come up with.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Will do Dave, thanks for your advise once again - will spend more time on this over the next few days and will keep this thread updated as I go along

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast