Thread: Estate v Saloon

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Let me summarise:

IF YOU HAVE EITHER A GALOON OR A NUMLEG THEN YOU ARE A LUCKY PERSON....BOTH LOOK FABULOUS - SO DON'T ARGUE.....ENJOY !

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beazer
    Personally i prefer the estate. Just prefer their lines, saloons just look a bit "old man" (sorry), plus getting a bike or pram into the estate is nice and easy.
    Plus its a lot easier to get a shag in an estate!!!
    The Cormerant is a little harder though!!

/Just thought I'd clear up that little matter

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit
    Let me summarise:

IF YOU HAVE EITHER A GALOON OR A NUMLEG THEN YOU ARE A LUCKY PERSON....BOTH LOOK FABULOUS - SO DON'T ARGUE.....ENJOY !
    He's right, but he would say that

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

i prefer the look of the saloon, and i prefer a manual gearbox.
    but im slowly being converted to a numleg, but it has to look right. and with naughtymatics i can make flappy paddle gearshift

i think what it all boils down to is that winning turqouise is not only the most winningest colour ever on a galant or numleg, but the best without a doubt.

Last Online
    14-03-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2001 VR4 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    I've owned 3 auto legnums and 2 manuals (one was converted, I've only owned 4 in total) and I think that for a standard VR-4, the auto is better
    How can you say that? The above manuals were either not stock or not a VR-4!

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    mps = 4cyl 2.3l single turbo

vr-4 = v6, 2.5l twin turbo

surely you're getting a downgrade?
    Nah, if Dave wanted to do that, he'd get a Holden! (cough Forth cough)

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiTT
    The Galant looks the best
    AMEN!!!
    If it ain't broken, don't fix it!...MOD IT!

JOIN THE CLUBVR-4 FAMILY TODAY!

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

The manual/auto debate...

Having been one of (it seems) the few to have actually had the pleasure to drive both (in standard trim, both with equal power and equal tyres) at close to their limits, the following is my impression of the two.

There is very little between the auto and manual day to day. In standard trim the manual is very easy to use, the clutch is light and it engages progressively without bite. It is easy to get going without the RPM going over 1k. Because of this, while [not quite] as friendly as the Auto, it is friendly enough.

I found this advantage was given up when cornering at close to the limits, the manual was more precise with the power delivery and you could feather the throttle nicely to adjust lines mid corner. Don't get me wrong, the auto wasn't bad at this, (at least not in tiptronic mode) it is just that the manual was superior.

The auto was much easier to get consistent good launches in. Though in saying that, the standard clutch just wont do a decent launch without slipping and stuffing itself up.

At the track I would put my money on the manual every time.

If you don't care so much about driving the car within an inch of its limit, then a manual will gain you little. If you value the ease of use of an auto, the auto is the way to go.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

remember as well that the auto is at 2500rpm at 110kmh, while the manual is at 3000rpm, and because of that, imho if you do huge amounts of motorway driving, the auto is better.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

My boss saw mine for the first time the other day and claimed it looked like an assualt tank, with bags of attitude, as it went round camp. Well it is dark green but I'm not sure if it was a compliment or an insult /HAZ
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Much as I like the Galant, the legnum has the more distinctive lines: The Galant is a good looking car, in a sort of BMWish way. The Legnum is more 'Japanesey' and definitely has a look of it's own.

I had a massive debate about cars. The conclusion we came to was that we needed two cars. Both should have four doors (we have kids) but that one should be a "family" car that was fast, comfortable, reliable and easy to take on long journeys, whilst having plenty of fun. This is a Legnum VR-4 Auto. It's a predominantly practical car with sporting credentials.

Which left the second, less practical car (which i would mainly use for work and local travel) can afford be a little less reliable. As it would only do my daily commute (24 miles a day) it didn't need to be comfortable or relaxing to drive.
    In fact it needs to be fun! It might also go to track days.

A Galant VR-4? I considered it. But it's an Evo. It fits all the criteria: it WANTS to be driven on the limit, but retains a few shreds of practicality.

I think the Galant VR-4 is a great car: I've not driven one but I imagine it to be a slightly more focussed version of the Legnum. But my big comfortable fast car needs to be a BIG, COMFORTABLE and FAST car. My less practical car can be almost completely impractical, and the older Evos are sooo cheap and so very tuneable: I just couldn't justify the Galant body shape, or the manual gearbox.

Saying that, if I was eating up miles for work and wanted somewhere secure to lock my laptop, overnight bag and company samples, whilst enjoying the drive and looking expensive and non-boy-racer on arrival...THAT'S the Galant.

I don't think any of them are better. Which is better: Jeans or a Suit?
    I think you choose the best tool to do the job.

Personally the Legnum stands out more...but then I think that the Galant blends in better, and looks more exclusive (but less 'special') because of it. How complicated is this?

The Evo's just look silly. Brilliant but ridiculous

Name
    Aaron
    Last Online
    27-10-2023
    Country
    Japan
    Car
    2000 Galant VR4

I think the Legnum VR4's are much more common than the Galant versions too, I was going MAD when I was trying to find one for myself.
    Daily driver / circuit car / drag car / show car / weekend cruiser / project car

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123