Thread: Want 18"? a definitive answer...

Last Online
    24-06-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    SC400,300ZX,AlfaJTD

Want 18"? a definitive answer...

No this is not a penis extension advert, but it got you interested eh (filthy maggots!)

I posted a thread regarding larger alloys advice and got a fab response from all you guys, but because the original Legnum VR4 wheels are such an odd size (6.5j with an offset of 46) it wasn't as simple as i thought to find replacements in bigger and better sizes, without running the risk of rubbing either the suspension arms or the arch bodywork itself, particularly if running your car lowered already.

So, armed with all the info i gleaned from you guys, i rang some guys i've used previously, which were Wheelmania, the new Tamworth branch store to be precise. They assured me if they had the car in front of them, they'd hook me up a treat, so thats what i did, and here are my findings.

We tried 18" wheels in as wide as 8.5j width, adjusted the offset to compensate, but basicly on my lowered car i was going to have arch issues, big arch issues, more than just a mild roll of the lip would cure as they protruded a good 1.5" without rubber on.

We ended at 18" x 7.5j and an offset of 37, so very close to the evo pattern. I'm running 225.40.18 tyres which whilst not the mightiest width on earth is enough for me and still gives an excellent ride, with nothing but gains in grip, stability and lack of roll, whilst not compromising ride quality at all.

I'm chuffed with em, got a corking deal too, and hope you agree that it now sits quite nicley.

So remember, 18" x 7.5j x et37 offset for a completely trouble free fit.

Incidentally, 8j may just go in, possibly with a gentle roll of the arch lip (which Wheelmania will do for you if you buy from them) but you're probably still gonna be using 225 rubber, 235 max, so whats the point in the hassle?

Cheers guys, i hope this helps answer a few queries, and if you need a wheel deal, by all means give Wheelmania a tinkle and drop my name and mention VR4 and 300zx, and as Tamworth is a new branch they are very keen to please!!!

Shrew

Last edited by Nick Mann; 20-11-2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Showing thumbnails instead of links
    He who dies with the most Toys, still dies...

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

I like those, very nice. Have you loaded the back up yet to see if they rub?

They'd look better in black or dark grey though
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Last Online
    24-06-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    SC400,300ZX,AlfaJTD

Hi mate

yep load it, jumped up and down on it, towed my trailer with a 6 x 3 commercial chest freezer in it, you name it ive tried to get em to rub, and they don't (or at least they haven't yet anyway, but i think ive gave them a thorough going over!)

they just slide up inside the arch a treat when under load, so i think with the 7.5j as opposed to anything bigger i'll get away with all issues of rubbing, which is what i wanted of course.

i agree that with a white car, a darker wheel would look grand, but i didn't want to copy stuartturbo who knew i'd seen his look whilst corresponding on the whole wheel thread thing, so, each to his own and all that, but colour aside, the deal they did me on these, i'd have been a complete **** to turn down.

if it bothers me later i can have them stripped and recoloured for £160 in that lovely anthracite gunmetal, so i'll wait till they have a mark or two, or need more rubber, then have them refurbed in the darker shade.

Glad you like it though, always nice to have other members approve.

cheers

shrew

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I like those wheels a lot!

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    18-09-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    nowt

nice rims
    But i do want these on mine
    either in white as here or the std colour but just dont have the £900 the GTR rims seem to go for