Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

V6 24v Elegance buying tips / advice

I'm off to Preswick this weekend to look at a Galant V6-24v Elegance saloon - a 2003 '52' plate, manual, leather, in Black - at the Bridgend Mitsubishi dealership (on AutoTrader) - so I'd appreciate any advice on what to look out for - weak spots etc...

I've driven a VR4 - so know what to expect from a turbo'd 2.5... and expecting a leap from my current 8 valve 2.0 GLSi Galant.

It's one owner from new, 49,000... Dealer is so obliging and will do a full service and belts & tentioners... year warranty, new MOT... all without me asking! Compared to the hassle the Weston super Mare dealer was!

Thank you in advance
    philip
    Last edited by HMG1K; 06-12-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by HMG1K
    I'm off to Preswick this weekend to look at a Galant V6-24v Elegance saloon - a 2003 '52' plate, manual, leather, in Black - at the Bridgend Mitsubishi dealership (on AutoTrader) - so I'd appreciate any advice on what to look out for - weak spots etc...

It's one owner from new, 49,000... Dealer is so obliging and will do a full service and belts & tentioners... year warranty, new MOT... all without me asking! Compared to the hassle the Weston super Mare was!

Thank you in advance
    philip
    tbh i dont think there is anything specific you should look for just general used car stuff.

imho it aint worth 6k though. but i guess thats what you get buying from a main dealer.

If it was my money i would go for a slightly older higher mileage one and get it a hell of a lot cheaper.

And if you are looking to spend 6k, why not get a facelift VR? maybe ive missed one of your posts somewhere but I thought you wanted a VR?.
    '07 Satin Black Shogun (Running), '98 Black Legnum VR4 Super (In Storage), '01 2.0 Silver Manual Galant Estate (Daily Driver), '98 Silver Colt (Dead), '97 Trigger Mauve Legnum VR4 Shell (Doner for Super)

Also in the family: '07 Mini Cooper, '05 2.0 Lancer Sport Estate

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

£6k sounds high to me - my 03 2.5V6 Elegance saloon was only £6300 a year ago, on 60k miles, three new tyres, service, years warranty on all parts, in perfect condition.
    Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor! I ain't sellin' Hitler's canoe to no traitor! Hop on your sushi-boat and git!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

It isn't worth 6k, but it does have all of the right option boxes ticked. Just get a VR-4 instead

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Thanks guys...

I was after a VR4 - would love one, a facelift - but its the running costs and fuel that's swaying me the other way at the moment...

I've got the car down to £5.5k... plus I'm getting £400 (after haggling) for my 180k mile 1990 Galant which isn't worth buttons to anyone except me cos it's been a faithful car since I bought it with 10k on the clock... So the V6 Galant for £5,100.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

sounds good to me. the car IS worth it its just the car market that all wrong now if that was a Vectra , Mondao or BMW then it would be a lot more. but if your happy with the car and the deal their offering thats the most important thing
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

is it this car?
    http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/msl...ch_full=SEARCH

if it is - i recommend this dealership knowing ths guys well and having bought tons of cars from them
    BMW E60 525i (3.0) M-Sport.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by ritch_w
    is it this car?
    http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/msl...ch_full=SEARCH

if it is - i recommend this dealership knowing ths guys well and having bought tons of cars from them
    That's the one! I'm dealing with Gordon Brirrell there... Simply a wonderful guy to talk to, down to earth...

As I said in an earlier post on this thread he said they'd do a full service and tensioners & belts before releasing the car. He admited there are 2 very small and slight dings in the doors and told me they will pay to have those pushed out and looking perfect again - without me asking...

Thanks Ritch for your feedback... much appreciated!

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

To be honest with you the difference in running costs between the V6 and VR4 are probably minimal. I bought a n/a GTO as i was scared of the running costs of a TT GTO. In the end i spent as much as any other TT owner on maintenance and running costs. Only difference was two turbos.

Just a thought, for £5k you are looking at top end VR4's and early facelift models.

Mike
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by miller
    To be honest with you the difference in running costs between the V6 and VR4 are probably minimal
    Unfortunately, the VR-4 is *much* more expensive to run. The V6 needs a fettle every 9K and will average around 28mpg combined. They're also not bad on insurance.

When I upgraded to my VR-4 I very quickly realised that I coudn't afford to run it as my daily commuter car - On paper the difference between 21mpg and 27/28 (what I got from the V6 Sport I had) doesn't sound like much. In reality it was cripplingly expensive!

Nick Mann (another serial Galant owner) commented that the V6 is 2/3 the fun of a VR-4, but 1/2 the costs!

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by miller
    To be honest with you the difference in running costs between the V6 and VR4 are probably minimal. I bought a n/a GTO as i was scared of the running costs of a TT GTO. In the end i spent as much as any other TT owner on maintenance and running costs. Only difference was two turbos.

Just a thought, for £5k you are looking at top end VR4's and early facelift models.

Mike
    Thanks you for the info Mike - I thought it was saving in the fuel costs (getting more MPG for my pound) and not having the 4.5k oil & changes fluid changes (although I always do my oil and filter every 3k)

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

As Kieran said, if you are looking at Mitsy dealer servicing, then the VR4 is nearly double the money to run, compared to the VR4. I could easily get 30 plus mpg in both V6's I have owned, but struggle to get over 20 in the VR4. VR4 servicing is more than twice the cost of V6, parts are often more complicated and more expensive and insurance is more. Plus things like tyres cost more and wear quicker.

The running costs aren't quite double, but don't expect it to be much less!

I would imagine this amount will reduce as the cars get older, as more parts will need replacing - suspension etc will not be twice the price.

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

big difference between running a v6 and a vr4.....

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

Quote Originally Posted by HMG1K
    That's the one! I'm dealing with Gordon Brirrell there... Simply a wonderful guy to talk to, down to earth...

As I said in an earlier post on this thread he said they'd do a full service and tensioners & belts before releasing the car. He admited there are 2 very small and slight dings in the doors and told me they will pay to have those pushed out and looking perfect again - without me asking...

Thanks Ritch for your feedback... much appreciated!
    Gordons a decent bloke - you'll be alright!

If I had known they had that car i'd be very very tempted to get it for it myself!!! Right spec, colour & manual - and good for 30 - 35mpg too! In fact let me know if u dont go for it
    Is the private plate staying with the car too?

Name
    Stephen
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    BMW 323i MSport

I find the alloys on these V6's are easily buckled. I've had to pay a an expense to get a new set. Id drive up to around 80+ to see if there are any shakes in the steering etc.

Also the leather seats in the later models are not as good as the older V624 models. The later ones feel cheaper in comparison and they slide a lot more.

The original suspension makes the handling a bit skittish at times. Try punching out of a roundabout and you may feel a rolly rolly feeling to it also.

Perhaps not so much on the manuals, but the auto versions seem to have this bouncy feel when the car is in neutral.

Brakes are not so good on these cars.

Cheers,
    scc

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Gordons a decent bloke - you'll be alright!

If I had known they had that car i'd be very very tempted to get it for it myself!!! Right spec, colour & manual - and good for 30 - 35mpg too! In fact let me know if u dont go for it
    Is the private plate staying with the car too?
    That's good to know about Gordon! Thank you!

The plate's been transfered off the car by its last owner so now sits on a '52' plate...

Will keep you posted - the big fly up from London to Glasgow is this Sunday!

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by scc
    I find the alloys on these V6's are easily buckled. I've had to pay a an expense to get a new set. Id drive up to around 80+ to see if there are any shakes in the steering etc.

Also the leather seats in the later models are not as good as the older V624 models. The later ones feel cheaper in comparison and they slide a lot more.

The original suspension makes the handling a bit skittish at times. Try punching out of a roundabout and you may feel a rolly rolly feeling to it also.

Perhaps not so much on the manuals, but the auto versions seem to have this bouncy feel when the car is in neutral.

Brakes are not so good on these cars.

Cheers,
    scc
    Thanks for all the tips - really appreciate it! I know what you mean about the alloys - I haven't driven one with those on but they don't look 'substantial' from the photos!

I'll try out your tips too!

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

best thing to do with the suspension is change the springs over to eibach - totally eradicated the choppy harshness at low speeds and reduced body roll on the v6 eleagance / sport i had

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

best thing to do with the suspension is change the springs over to eibach - totally eradicated the choppy harshness at low speeds and reduced body roll on the v6 eleagance / sport i had
    Agree. I went with H&R springs on my V6. They were firmer than the Eibachs and not progressive, however they were still a HUGE improvement on standard. One of the best modifications to the Later V6 Sport/Elegance that money can buy I think.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Ritch has been over to see the car - feedback is she's excellent and is being kept inside away from the weather round there!

He's got second refusal - so between us, that V6 is going to a good home one way or another!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast