Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Cashed
    Smoked side repeaters and get some osram diadems to stop the fried egg look on the front indicators that the orange bulbs give (something I still need to do).
    Thank you for the tip !

Aren't the indicators totally clear on the front...? I know the VR4's have that orange filter tinge to them...

Is it just a quick search on the net for osram diadems...?

I want to get the top of the range Philips headlamp bulbs too - there was a recent test of about 20 bulbs in Auto Express and how good / bad they all were for beam distance etc, and the Philips came top by miles (pardon the pun)... I've got the review at home, just forgotten the name of the bulb in its range.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Hi HGMK,

Yes the front indicators are totally clear (well, made of a clear material but ridged internally to diffuse the light) but because it's clear, like in the clear side repeaters they have to use an orange bulb to give the orange light. And if you look at the car from the front, you can see like an orange splodge in the reflector due to the orange bulb. Osram diadems are silver to look at, but give an orange light when lit.

Hope this makes some sense?
    Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor! I ain't sellin' Hitler's canoe to no traitor! Hop on your sushi-boat and git!

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Osram Diadems give a Blue fried egg effect. Get Philips Silvervision indicator bulbs for the clearest look: http://www.askisaac.com/images/car/galantfleet1.jpg In that picture the green galant has the silvervisions and the red one has standard bulbs - you can see the difference.

The top philips headlamp bulbs are the Extreme Power +80%. However, since that Autoexpress test, Osram have released their Nightbreaker +90% which, given how good their silverstar +50% are, are certainly worth a look.
    It's been a crazy year, But through all the damage done,
    I have turned and I have learned, To make next year a better one,
    Singing Oh Hallelujah,
    Singing Oh I am home.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Fantasic - all makes sense and thanks for both your top tips, Isaac & Johnny!

I see what you mean on the clear as possible indicators - especially on a Pyrenees Black one!

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    31-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom

spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by HMG1K
    Thanks folks!

Evv - I have toyed with getting a VR4 style spoiler... and am still toying... and will properbly get one!
    me too.
    ive currently got quite a low spoiler on the boot - i think its the standard one? keeping my eye out for a vr4 spoiler now which i think will set it off really nicely. let me know if you come across two in your search!!
    enjoy your fantastic looking car.
    cheers.
    evv

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by evv
    me too.
    ive currently got quite a low spoiler on the boot - i think its the standard one? keeping my eye out for a vr4 spoiler now which i think will set it off really nicely. let me know if you come across two in your search!!
    enjoy your fantastic looking car.
    cheers.
    evv
    Thanks evv!

Sounds like you have the standard spoiler - there were two 'VR4' spoilers - one which we all know and love is the proper VR4 spoiler and comes WITH a built in rear brake light... The other one which was in the standard Galant brochures is billed as the Sport spoiler - exactly the same, but with NO rear brake light built in.

Not sure if the Sport without break lamp obscures the rear windscreen brake lamp on standard Galants or not... I'd want to plump for the VR4 with brake light!

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    24-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    02 16v Classic

Not sure if the Sport without break lamp obscures the rear windscreen brake lamp on standard Galants or not... I'd want to plump for the VR4 with brake light!

Thats the one I have... and yes it does.. so I got some vr4 light clusters that use the fog lights as brake lights - patched in the fog to one of the bulbs and failed the MOT!! (but the guy let me have 10 mins to change wiring harness for the uk one and passed it)

Out of choice I'd have the spoiler with the light built in

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by g6acb
    Thats the one I have... and yes it does.. so I got some vr4 light clusters that use the fog lights as brake lights - patched in the fog to one of the bulbs and failed the MOT!! (but the guy let me have 10 mins to change wiring harness for the uk one and passed it)

Out of choice I'd have the spoiler with the light built in
    That was sweet of him!

I bet there're pennys in manufacturing the two spoilers - but hundreds in buyng one over the other... Are they around £800 for a sport spoiler...?

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    24-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    02 16v Classic

That was sweet of him!

I bet there're pennys in manufacturing the two spoilers - but hundreds in buyng one over the other... Are they around £800 for a sport spoiler...?

The original sales invoice lists it as a 500 quid option, sprayed and fitted by the dealer with a boot spring upgrade kit as part of the package

I am tempted to get one with the light built in off ebay in the states - others have been happy with them in the past - they are pretty cheap but need spraying - i reckon about £150 all in

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-9...spagenameZWDVW

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

That is a bargin off eBay!

So $98 postage and packing - in this economic climate is £50 and $69 (£35) for the spoiler is amazing...

I'm going to keep my eye on that and my next mod!

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Grrr - but not that Grrr !

I'm now picking the Galant up NEXT Sunday on the 23rd as the optional cruise control unit I asked to be fiitted as an option is faulty... So the dealer is getting a new unit sourced and fitted... They did give me the option of having in fitted in London but with London labour rates at a Mitsubishi garage being around £120 an hour compared to Scotland's £60 an hour, it was no contest!

I have the paitence of an angel at the moment!

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

make sure you get the front lowered aswell, they look tits with just the fronts lowered, with the strut braces on aswell, the rear end doesnt roll all over the place like you think it would

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Thanks for the tip! Will give it a good roll around first and then get them lowered to fel the difference!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Personally I wouldn't lower it. Yeah, it would probably look better, but (I think) my galant is at standard height, and the front is just the right height to clear kerbs, and so lets me park what is really a long car without it sticking out too much.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

you can park anywhere with a lowered car, you just have to be more careful.

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

Thanks for the tip! Will give it a good roll around first and then get them lowered to fel the difference!
    eibachs will be your nirvana

the force is strong in this one
    BMW E60 525i (3.0) M-Sport.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Got it! The Galant Elegance! After a long 8 hour drive from London to Irvine, leaving at 5.30am through the dense fog of a Sunday, I did the deal yesterday afternoon before driving back to London, getting in at 11pm... Big thanks to the girlfriend for sharing the driving duties...

I can't get over how lovely the 2.5 engine purrrs when you start the engine and how it gently raws as you pull away... The leather seats with lumbar are so confortable (especially after that long drive)... and lovely to stick your foot down when someone is up your rear in a Vauxhall Astra and you leave them for dust without the car breaking into a sweat!

Mods! So, I've cruise control fitted now... rear parking sensors (colour coded)... I've got smoked side repeaters to stick on and the Philips SilverVision clear indicator bulbs front and rear, which I'll do later today (thanks Johnny_Cashed & Issac for that advice)... I'll get the VR4-style twin front fogs ordered from Japan this week (thanks to g6acb for tips on fitting options)... Get my stereo, amp and sub fitted, change the speakers and that's it!

I'm off to admire my new toy in the driveway!

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

you lucky lucky lucky jammy .............

nice one

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Thanks mate - keeping her as close to stock as possible on the outside and in.

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Great stuff mate . Join the Elegance club!
    Galant 2.5 V6 24v Elegance 2003

Blistein B12 Suspension Kit, Short Shifter, VR4 Front Strut Bar, Rear Spoiler, Amsoil Oil & Filter, Wind Deflectors, Sound Deadened, Stainless Steel Door Sill, Black Diamond Rear Brakes Discs & Pads, Headlight HID Kit, ICPC & ICE, Custom Centre Console - 8" Touchscreen LCD
    & DVD slot loader.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast