Thread: Hi everyone at Club VR4!

Last Online
    17-02-2004
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 24v V6

Thumbs up Hi everyone at Club VR4!

Hi. I'm Raven from Rochdale in England. Anyone who doesn't know where Rochdale is, it's very close to Manchester. I own a 1998 Galant 2.5 24v V6 in blue.

I hope I'll be welcome here along with all you VR4 guys. Can't quite afford one of them yet!

Anyway. Quite happy with what I have. Had the car now for 2 weeks and I am very happy with it.

Car is pretty standard at the moment which I'll be changing soon. Namely a set of 18's and a much needed lowering of suspension. After that, we'll see.

Very nice looking site you have here. Love the blue colour. Makes a change to the usual style forums I've seen.

As I say I hope I'm welcome here, and look forward to a long future with you all.

Say ... do you have regular meets in the UK during the year at the big car shows? Namely Trax, Billing and the like?

The pictures are as my car looks now ... Then how I'm hoping it will look once I've got rid of those horrid wheels above and replaced them with these 18" Dare X1's and lowered the suspension. Looks miles better don't you think? ...

Cheers.
    Last edited by RAVEN; 04-02-2004 at 04:47 PM.

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

welcome to the party Raven !! :-D :welcome: yes we do have regular meets, & you're more than welcome !! check out the 'events' threads for meetings etc.
    swindon on the 15th, is the next meet. A bit far I know, but it was the only way we could get the southerners, to get off their backsides !! :$ :$

/ runs for cover !!

Last Online
    17-02-2004
    Country
    England
    Car

I can't get the pictures to post up properly for some reason ...

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

the whole site crashed recently, so I dont think anyone can get any pics up !! I know I cant ???

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Welcome Raven. Of course we are pleased to have many more non-VR4 members.....we have a growing community of them on here. I am sure by the end of tonight one or two will have introduced themselves (cue Kieran, Ian etc).

Many would recommend 17" wheels instead of 18's, but take a look in the Wheels/Tyres section for more comments/info.

As Derek said, we do have regular meets so check out the Events section. We only formed CVR4 last April and we attended Japfest, JAE, Santa Pod etc as a club last year.

A must if you can make it is Japfest this year, on 22nd May at Castle Combe in Wiltshire - long way to come but worth it.

Have a great time here, and don't forget to join up as a full member - only £15

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN
    I can't get the pictures to post up properly for some reason ...
    Don't forget the max file size is currently 39.1kb for pics - or you can link directly to a website showing the pics using the "Hyperlink" button.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome to Club VR-4 Raven. As Pete's already said, there's a growing community of non-VR4 peeps on here (like myself, with full-strength GLS Power evil5: ) so pull up a chair, grab yourself a beer and make yourself at home :-D

Nice looking car you have there. I would advise against 18" wheels though. I think you'll find the ride a bit too uncomfortable, bearing in mind that the UK models fitted with 17s run on 45 profile tyres, which is pushing things I think - but that's up to you

You're right about suspension. It's high and bouncy - There's several places us non-vr4 peeps have found, so check out the Non-VR4 chat section for details. Scottish Ian (who I'm sure will be posting here soon!) is running on 17s with -40mm Eibach springs and standard shocks. For replacement shocks, Koni have applications in both their Special(red) and Sport(yellow) shock absorber lines. The partnumber is 8040-1233 & 8040-1234 for front and rear respectively (Sport shocks are the same number with 'Sport' on the end).

And one final thing. Are those 15s in good condition? As the GLS comes with 14s(!!!) as standard, so they'd be a nice interim upgrade for me, if you're interested. :-b

Kieran

Last Online
    17-02-2004
    Country
    England
    Car

Kieran - Hi mate. My current 15's are a little 'kurbed' shall we say. Not that good looking at all mate. Nice looking car judging by your Avator by the way.

What I'm intending to do is get 18" wheels and not 17's as I think 17's would look too small for the car. The car looks huge from the side and the car will just swallow them up. I had 17's on my mk4 Astra before I got my Galant, and I thought they looked small on that car ... and that car is tiny in comparison to the Galant.

I did originally want to go for 19's but since changed my mind as I don't intend to fit a body kit to the car and the 19's would look too big for a standard looking car. 18's would suit my car for that purpose.

You can buy 18" wheels these day with 215-35 tyres, or even a little larger at 215-40. I intend to go for the latter. These tyres are designed for cars that originally had problems fitting bigger wheels. 45 or larger profile tyres are preposterous and I wouldn't touch these with a ten foot barge pole. You're heading for a great deal of problems with tyres that size.

My cousin had a Galant just like mine but in a different colour which had 19's on with 215-35 tyres, and he told me he had no problems at all with them. He doesn't have it any longer unfortunately. He now owns a Supra. Gorgeous it is too!

I intend to drop the car 60mm all round as the current suspension is well too high. 40mm will not be enough.

I think 60mm drop with 18" alloys with 215-35 or 215-40 tyres would be fine for this car. These sizes would fit my old Astra no problem, so I shouldn't imagine it would be a problem with the Galant IMO
    Last edited by RAVEN; 04-02-2004 at 04:56 PM.

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

Take a look at my car wheel arches

between 16" standard height and 30mm lowered 17"
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a VR-4, around corners at speed. But it costs see here

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

.....and one of mine for you with 17's and lowered 30mm (I think - HKS springs):

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Hello mate, welcome to clubvr4.

Since we're posting pictures of wheelarches etc.. here's mine.
    Oh.. they're only 17's and NO drop at all.

Last Online
    28-10-2004
    Country
    Other
    Car
    1999 Galant SS

Can I post mine too? :-D

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

Rubber and Ride !!

Hi Raven

Good to see another V6-24 owner infiltrating the ranks

I have the V6 Sport which comes fitted with the 17" as standard. I am also not content with the large gap between the wheel and the arch and have been looking at several options for lowering the car. The consensus seems to be to lower the car by 40mm on HKS springs with the option of also fitting progressive dampers (correct me if I am wrong people). From what I have seen of other cars with this mod, the 17" sit nicely.

The other mod that I want to make is to fit a HKS Super Drager exhaust system (or something similar). I am not convinced of the need for a cat replacement because of the complications with the MOT/legality issue. Do you have any plans for anything similar?

Just for your information, a set of the 17" sport alloys with P6000 low profile tyres should cost £600 for the set from Mitsubishi (got a quote today). I am looking to replace mine because they have been kerbed. I was going to get them repaired but my tyres need replacing soon anyway. Tyres would cost me approx £90 x 4 = £360, so for another £240 I could have new alloys as well. If you consider that it costs about £30-40 per wheel to repair them it would cost £160 to repair all four. That means it is only £80 difference!!

If there are any questions that you have regarding the car, this is the place to come. All the best

Col
    2014 Skoda Octavia 2.0 petrol Vrs estate
    2015 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 Tdi Bluemotion
    1971 BRG MGB Roadster
    1970 VW T2 Baywindow camper

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

welcome mate,
    i have a v6 sport (similar to cols)
    i would say stick with 17s and a -40mm drop any more will work but will probably spoil the ride and handling for normal driving.

go for a progressive lowering spring like eibach - scottish ians got them and highly recommends them. if i keep my car thats what i'll be going for and keeping the standard 17s
    BMW E60 525i (3.0) M-Sport.

Last Online
    17-02-2004
    Country
    England
    Car

Hi guys. Some fantastic looking cars there! What do these 17" sport wheels look like by the way? Sounds a good price.

Also, what offset are the wheels?

Cheers.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Got +45 offset on my VR4

Last Online
    17-02-2004
    Country
    England
    Car

Cool! 45 offset is similar to Vauxhalls. That means I can swap over my alloys from my Astra over onto the Galant and vice versa. Nice one. Think I'll be riding on 17's then for a while. All I need to get are Galant centre rings.

These are the wheels I'm talking about. They are BK299's. Do you think they'll suit the Galant?
    Last edited by RAVEN; 04-02-2004 at 04:45 PM.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Look sweet to me mate :-D

Last Online
    17-02-2004
    Country
    England
    Car

Sorted the pictures at last now LOL

Name
    Mohammed
    Last Online
    07-04-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom

thats what i have on my vr4 and the astra wheels wont fit the galant as the pcd is different
    NO More VR4 for me, well ive still got the 6G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast