Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom TD03s - maybe the answer?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Ben - I don't need them, just thought if they are lying there not doing anything, maybe someone could make better use of them? If you still need them for research, then I have no problems at all with that. That's why I gave them to you!

Scooby TD04's are on my to-do list. When I can scrape a few hundred notes togetherto buy a couple!

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    Ben - I don't need them, just thought if they are lying there not doing anything, maybe someone could make better use of them? If you still need them for research, then I have no problems at all with that. That's why I gave them to you!

Scooby TD04's are on my to-do list. When I can scrape a few hundred notes togetherto buy a couple!
    Gotchya mate, thats cool

I was just saying we still had them just in case anyone did fancy having a pop with them.

To be fair our turbo guy basically said its a no goer. About all you can do is clip them a little to wince a bit more flow out, but basically you cant get any kind of service parts to allow you to get any bigger wheels into them.

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Peter
    Last Online
    05-11-2020
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    glant vr4 1998

Td03

What service parts are we talking about ( to put larger comp wheel in )
    If it is a overhaul kit he is talking about they are available.

Name
    Martin
    Last Online
    21-02-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    HSV R8, RS6+

Hi there,

I think I answered this is an earlier post mate.

According to the guys in the US who have experience of hybridising our turbos, a larger compressor wheel can be added, but the shafts are the weak point which shear at higher boost. That's the weak link.

The problem with turbo companies in the UK is that they're not familiar with our turbos and have very little, if any experience of what can be done. I've phoned round everyone in the phonebook practically and people either said it was a non-starter, or could only guestimate without actually having the turbos in their hands.

Both Majestic turbos and Turbo Power in the US have hybridised our TC03-06A turbos before with the above problems...

Hope that helps!

Mart.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Can those US companies provide rebuild kits?

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

Yep you can get rebuild parts, ie service kits, meaning std seals, shafts etc. What you cant get is a larger wheel for the hot side. Theoretically you could machine the housing to put a larger wheel in, but there is so little meat on the housing that practically you cant do it.

You also cant buy 'oversize' parts such as shaft or oil seals, so effectively beefing up the innards becomes a problem. You could probably put a bigger compressor housing on it, or at least machine whats there to get a bigger wheel in, but even then you are still restricted by the small hot side.

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Peter
    Last Online
    05-11-2020
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    glant vr4 1998

Td03

Go to USA E-Bay and one of the sellers is selling TD03 / TD04 repair kits. Even though he is in the US the kits are sent from Poland. Kits are quite complete.
    By the way the shaft size of the TD03 is the same as some of the TD04's.
    One thing is for sure the TD03 can take a 10T comp wheel. As seen on the BMW 335i

Name
    Peter
    Last Online
    05-11-2020
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    glant vr4 1998

Td03

Of course if you are after performance the TD04 is the way to go. With unlimited choices in turbine size incl 4cm, 5cm, 6cm turbine housings. Endless compressor wheels and housings. The TD04 is fantastic . But some of us are not prepared to modify the car to the extent needed to fit these TD04's even though the possibilties with them is terrific.
    For those who wish to stay with the TD03 with a slightly larger comp wheel and boost pressures up to or around .80 to .90 Bar retaining the TD03 could well be what is right for us.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Wouldn't it be possible to create a new custom housing that would fit straight away just like our TD03's but just so very slighty bigger it wouldn't be a problem fitting them, but alowing to use TD04 internal parts?

My father-in-law has a workshop of his own where they produce axles, bearings, joints, etc for luxury yachts and ships (in low-quantities). Any kind of metal is available to him, as well as the machines to shape any kind of material completely to desired spec.

I'm a total turbo-n00b, so please forgive me for asking/suggesting this. As you can tell, I don't even know what kind of metal is used for any part of a turbo... (yet, the topic is very interesting ofcourse).
    Last edited by MarkSanne; 15-01-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

The freakiest combination I've seen with MHI is TD06 housings and turbine, with a TD07 cartridge and compressor. Not sure what the shaft sizes were, but presumably a TD04 cartridge, compressor and housing could be mated to the TD03 turbine housing and smallest (9b?) TD04 turbine. This would effectively ensure restriction is on the hot side, and no shaft shearing nastiness, just a cap on top end power due to the flow charecteristics of the turbine. The powerband should move upwards as the turbo is able to spin faster, especially if the turbine wheel is clipped and the inlet side of the turbine housing is ported...and possibly the outlet too?

Name
    Peter
    Last Online
    05-11-2020
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    glant vr4 1998

Td03

Tis is the E-Mail address of the Bloke in the US who will supply TD03 repair kits
    info@scrollproducts.com
    The kits are sent to you from Poland

Last Online
    17-03-2008
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4 powered FTO

hi folks im kinda new to all this turbo upgradin. its a VR4 powered FTO i have but was lookin at the viability of the TD04 from a scooby. Iv spoken to the guys doin my conversion and they say it isnt that much work, as previously said the turbo can be fitted to the galant manifold and in turn (with part of a scooby down pipe) be then connected otherwise. the only real other issues they saw was getting custom oil lines made up. they will have a better idea when its all together next week but ill let you know how it goes.

Can anyone tell me where they got there SARD 530cc injectors from Please

Alan F

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

You will have trouble fitting the TD04's into the space between the engine and the bulkhead on an FTO, AFAIK. I'm sure that was a good part of the reason that Zentac went with a big single.

I think RHD Japan do the 530cc injectors?

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

yeah getting a 6A13TT into an FTO with just the stock turbos is a good enough acheivement. You really should be going for a single!

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    02-03-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    600+ bhp FTO-VR

they have a point mate.
    Richard Batty
    2.5ltr V6 Turbo FTO

Name
    Madhav
    Last Online
    15-08-2019
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    450whp supra

Hi guys,

From reading this thread and looking around I actually managed to source a couple of cartridges from the new bmw 335i turbos. The guy who's selling them said he's got the turbos, but not the housings, so I'm assuming this will still work? He hasn't given me a price yet.

What exactly are all the parts needed for the operation?

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Madhav
    What exactly are all the parts needed for the operation?
    As soon as we know, we'll tell you!

The problem is, whilst several people have gone the TD04 route, there's not really been anyone who has played about with the TD03s to that extent. A couple of people have had them Hybridised (BradC being one) but other than that we've not really had much luck. It's not helped by the fact that most turbo/tuning shops people have tried take one look at them and announce that nothing can be done..... I am not convinced that this is the case, but I have nothing to base that opinion on.

Welcome to Club VR-4 by the way, and to uncharted turbo territory!

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Does anyone know the measurements of both the TD03 and TD04 housings?

I'm asking because as some of you might know I have a 'hybrid' VR4 (org V6 engine out, VR4 engine in) which has already involved some cutting and welding in the firewall (=bulkhead right?) to get the first turbo fitted at all.

I don't know how much more space could be created there but it will depend on the TD04 / TD03 measurements I guess.

Name
    Madhav
    Last Online
    15-08-2019
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    450whp supra

Ok, looks like I'm gonna be a pioneer moving into relatively uncharted territory. Hope Valmes was right in his hypothesis. I don't think this turbo cartridge is gonna cost too much anyway, I'm gonna try to get it for less than $200. So not a huge outlay, and if what he says is right, minimal mods to get it in.

Name
    Madhav
    Last Online
    15-08-2019
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    450whp supra

The guy that offered me the cartridges still hasn't replied back, so I started looking elsewhere, however I think because the turbo comes from a new bmw, (even though it's a mitsubishi turbo) this justifies a big price hike. A Junkyard in the states just quoted me $1200 per turbo...I politely replied, "No thanks"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast