Last Online
    12-02-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2001, 2.0

Question Fan/alternator belt...

Hi there, good night.

Just got a few parts I ordered to service my car, and also a fan belt.
    My local garage, they serviced the car for me before, no probs there, but the fan belt... They had a look today to it and said it´ll take about 2 hours to change that, and 45 quid coz they need to take some parts before they can even reach the fan belt...

I dont know if this is that difficult, or they just having a laugh, and also, is it the same thing fan belt than alternator belt?
    I still need to buy the oil, I already got the filters and spark plugs, and I was thinking of buying 0W-30 fully synthetic for it, any suggestions? Castrol Edge any good? Carlube Triple R? will it be ok buying just 5W-30 semi-synthetic instead?

Thanks for the info and help

Name
    Neil
    Last Online
    14-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2003 Saloon V6

Quote Originally Posted by slaine
    Hi there, good night.

Just got a few parts I ordered to service my car, and also a fan belt.
    My local garage, they serviced the car for me before, no probs there, but the fan belt... They had a look today to it and said it´ll take about 2 hours to change that, and 45 quid coz they need to take some parts before they can even reach the fan belt...
    I remember doing it mate and it was a bit of mission as the pulley bolt is a f%*ker to get to, and can be easliy rounded off. If you search around on the site you will find some threads on the topic. And yeah t he fan/alternator belt is the same thing.

I use 10-40w fully synthetic Amsoil. Oil is a topic that wakes up a lot of members on the forum, im sure the others will post up soon on what they reckon the best is.
    Galant 2.5 V6 24v Elegance 2003

Blistein B12 Suspension Kit, Short Shifter, VR4 Front Strut Bar, Rear Spoiler, Amsoil Oil & Filter, Wind Deflectors, Sound Deadened, Stainless Steel Door Sill, Black Diamond Rear Brakes Discs & Pads, Headlight HID Kit, ICPC & ICE, Custom Centre Console - 8" Touchscreen LCD
    & DVD slot loader.

Last Online
    12-02-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2001, 2.0

Hi there, good night.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check with me local garage and see how they do it then, in case they mess the bolt u talking about... good to know

Thats the oil I used before, Castrol Magnatec 10W-40, and all is good...
    I'll change this time just to check to 0W-30, and c how it goes then.
    Thanks for the info and help