Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I invite this or is it normal?

Last Online
    14-03-2009
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Fiat Bravo 1.4

Do I invite this or is it normal?

I was trailbuilding today and was chatting to a few of the guys about the car...just general chat and I mentioned that my power steering was making some serious noises. One guy, who does a bit of car mechanic'ing himself asked me if the fluid was ok...I said I didn't know but would check - got back to the car and checked and it appeared that there was not enough fluid in the bottle - you could just see the fluid in the bottom of the reservoir, almost out of site.

So off I went to Halfords, and this is where it begins -

Me - Hi, I'm looking for some power steering fluid please?
    Him - What grade?
    Me - I don't know, what grades are there?
    Him - What car is it for?
    Me - Mitsu Legnum...
    Him - Oh, it won't be on the system...
    Me - Same as a Galant...
    Him - Aye, but it won't be on the system...

He strolls off mumbling to himself then turns around to look at me

Him - Just use this stuff it's generic...
    Me - is it any good?
    Him - I suppose

And he strolls off...

Anyway, I topped the power steeing fluid up (with Slick 50???) and there is no noise...running very quietly now...well pleased with that wee fix, not impressed with Halfords service though - I seem to have this problem every time I go there...I suspect I should do my research before going there but surely they should be trained to be a bit more customer focussed?

Or am I missing the point with Halfords?
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    24-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    02 16v Classic

To be fair if you strolled in and asked for a litre of Dextron II ATF, you probably would have been pointed in the right direction without fuss.....

The info Halfords have about Galant is always a bit suspect.... especially those charts which tell you what bulbs to buy!

Name
    Robin
    Last Online
    19-10-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Seat Toledo

You do occassionaly get a very helpful person at Halfords, but to be honest, since most of their staff seem to be pretty young even the keen ones are lost with anything more than 5 years old. You want to try asking about a VW Scirocco.

Name
    Stephen
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    BMW 323i MSport

I thought slick 50 was an oil additive that could cause blockages in pipes??

scc

Last Online
    14-03-2009
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Fiat Bravo 1.4

Feck, you tell me that now??? I don't know if that was what it was called...just one of the bottles I noticed whilst looking at the shelves...

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

Quote Originally Posted by DickBarton
    Feck, you tell me that now??? I don't know if that was what it was called...just one of the bottles I noticed whilst looking at the shelves...
    this stuff? http://www.slick50.com/products/AdvFormulaEngineTrt.htm i hope not
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

Dick did you ask for help for your power steering if so sorry i missed it.

Last Online
    14-03-2009
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Fiat Bravo 1.4

No, not that stuff...it is Slick 50 Power Steering Fluid...designed for power steering systems...christ, stop making me brick myself!!!

Didn't really ask for help, just asked about the sqeaking noise (which turned into a screaming noise...the mechanic thought the power steering pump was on the way out, but my mate who works with pumps and stuff reckoned it needed a top up - when I checked the fluid level it was just and no more in the reservoir - a trip to Halfords for that Slick 50 Power Steering stuff and everything has quietened right down...just the engine ticking over is all you hear now...

Will check the fluid level tomorrow morning and check for leaks in case there is a problem, but I'm feeling confident it will be fine (hoping it will be fine!)

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

Dick, either your mechanic isn't very good or he wants to you spend loads of money.

Its the most common problem of squeeling of power steering. Always go for a fluid check first. It doesn't even have to be down by a lot and it will screech, and as you get less and less, the more the pump has to work to get those big wheels to turn!

You should have asked here first mate .... there are about 15 people who could have not only told you the things to check BUT would have given you the correct fluids to buy and probably the cheapest place to buy it!
    '97 EVO 4 GSR

Last Online
    14-03-2009
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Fiat Bravo 1.4

Yeah, I'm realising that I'm in need of a web connection to here 24/7 as the answers are all informed are quick to obtain...

I'm about to go and check the level to see if it has dropped or there is a large pool of something under the car!

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

It's just ATF mate. Use the last bit of that amsoil you've got sitting in your garage
    ----
    Dr McCuckoo - Avatar Victim Extraordinare.

The KieranCorp Secret Service continues to viciously abuse and falsely accuse this innocent paragon of virtue. The distress has been so great that he no longer can continue his selfless charitable work with homeless children and abused sheep.

The Kierancorp Secret service is interested in hearing from anyone who has red hair, likes wearing a spook uniform, and enjoys nocturnal barbecues. Funny handshake optional.

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

If you search the net enough you will find that Sick (oops Froidian slip) Slick 50 where taken for 5 million and unlimited civil liability in the USA (could have been just 3.5 mill . This weas from the US version of the office opf fair trading. JUst for your general info.
    If you have a problem with getting Amsoil just contact me on 07949 944523 email don@performanceoilsltd.co.uk or web at http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/
    AMSOIL 'The First in Synthetics'

Last Online
    14-03-2009
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Fiat Bravo 1.4

General info? For what...have I doomed my car into failure now that I've managed to sort my power steering screech out? If so, how do I drain it and refill it??? And what do I refill with? ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid? If so, I'm fecked as I drive a manual! ;-)

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    13-08-2014
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum VR4 S X

Dick - don't worry - the Slick 50 thing is not an issue for you - anyway, I believe this was for their engine oil additive in particular. I have transformed manual boxes with their gearbox oil and even made old Renaults run sweet with their engine additive.

HOWEVER, you haven't got this anyhow - you bought their power steering fluid. And anyway, wasn't Slick 50's problem something to do with the fact they were promising things that could never be delivered?? This does not affect your power steering fluid in any way.

And if you need some ATF, you know where I am. I even have a filter and oil for you if you're keeping your motor (because I'm a damn nice little fella).
    No more VR-4s left. It's all over.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I've used the Slick50 power steering fluid replacement. It's brilliant...it tends to be thicker than the regular ATF, and so quietens down pumps that are on the way out. It also (brilliantly) will react with the air if exposed for a VERY long time and fix leaks. Apparently it's just clear ATF with a glucose additive, but it's very effective. Just don't keep using it, as on it's own it tends to thicken up in the pump a little, making the steering heavier. It's designed as a "top-up" rather than replacement.

Name
    shaun
    Last Online
    31-07-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    'charged Mx5

I dont know if this is relevant but on my 99 galant i had a similar sort of thing happen.. only it got worse and drank pas fluid for f. turned out to be corrosion on the cooling pipe that runs along the front panel.... where the steel clamps held it in place.... i guess it was the old reaction between steel and ally.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by shaun1978
    I dont know if this is relevant but on my 99 galant i had a similar sort of thing happen.. only it got worse and drank pas fluid for f. turned out to be corrosion on the cooling pipe that runs along the front panel.... where the steel clamps held it in place.... i guess it was the old reaction between steel and ally.
    Hmmm.... Another one. I am beginning to believe this should be classed as a common fault to look out for....

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Mine does this... so far has leaked about 1/3rd litre of fluid in the last 7 months. Drips out of the drivers side of the front bumper. I usually park in the same spot at work, and the car has marked its territory...
    It's been a crazy year, But through all the damage done,
    I have turned and I have learned, To make next year a better one,
    Singing Oh Hallelujah,
    Singing Oh I am home.

Name
    shaun
    Last Online
    31-07-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    'charged Mx5

thats where the clamp is , what I did as a temp fix was to remove the clamp (which made it pee out) and then slid sone fuel hose over it with a jubilee clip at each end , till i could replace it.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    I've used the Slick50 power steering fluid replacement.
    Me too - have used this recently as this was they only one I found in Halfords that matched what the Mitsibushi manual stated... The rest all said on the bottles "for Ford and Vauxhalls" and didn't really state it's spec.

No hassles since I topped up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast