Thread: Servicing - Tuning - Tyres - Upgrades - Modifications

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Malc

Give me a shout if you wanna change - I have INSERT INTO post VALUES (and now a couple others) National Racing 8 groove discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads INSERT INTO post VALUES (dogs bollocks) for £202 inc VAT plus approx £12 p+p from a local source.

Email or PM me for info if interested

Pete

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

EBC are crap! verified by dozens of people on various high performance car forums.

Discs don't warp! when your pads get hot they leave deposits on your discs, harsh braking causes your pads to get very hot and in the case of EBC pads they are too ****e they leave heavy deposits on your discs.
    When your brakes cool the deposits dry and harden this then gives you the sensation of 'warped' disc, when you brake your pads run over these deposits like little speed bumps.

'warped' disc is the best way to describe the feeling but it isn't technically correct as your discs don't actually warp.

If you do have crap brakes and even in general as ALL brakes will do it if you let them it is just some take longer to warm up, it is best to brake in stages... so you brake hard, let the car roll, brake, let the car roll and then finally come to a stop but try and be easy when you do finally stop as your pads will still be pretty hot, if you stop instantly as it were, the pads will leave an imprint of deposits.

Simple!

Last Online
    30-11-2008
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Vr4, XTR2, 182Trophy

Thanx Spirit979 and Brind

That makes some sense to me coz i can see dark patches on the discs - presumably the build up of deposits u mentioned.

Ok, I think the starting point for me is to clean the deposits off and change the pads.

A Q for Pete... I presume the NR8G discs use the standard calyper, so r same size as standard discs? Are the ferodo pads a 'hard' pad? Ok on the road? track?
    Presumably i could fit those pads with standard discs if they clean up OK?

Thanx guys,
    malc

Last Online
    23-12-2004
    Country
    England

Malc, this is another Pete answering your question - the Ferodo 2500 pads are fine for road use, and can be used with standard disks and calipers - they are probably harder than std compound but not as hard as some 'racing' pads and seem fairly kind to disks.

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

I've heard many reports on the pads the first Pete mentioned, and they look to be one of the best pads available!!! they have been known to take heavy track use very well and then still be more than capable for long term braking afterwards on the normal roads! so that proves how good they are!

The pads mentioned are like for like, they just replace your existing ones, any discs the same size will work or if you can clean up the ones you have they will be okay too.
    I'm going to install the same pads when the time comes, and possibly replace discs too but I'm still looking at other types as I want them drilled and grooved.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Yeah spot on there. From the reports I read Ferodo introduced them as the DS2000 where road only and the DS3000 where track only so they are an excellent compromise for a car such as ours.

To show you how good they are take a look at the AP Racing 6 pot upgrade kits that retail for around £1500 - they use these very pads ! What better advert than that

Brind and PJ are correct - they are like for like with no caliper changes needed - and considering Mitsy want £440 approx for front discs/pads that I think we all agree are crap you just can't go wrong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12