Thread: Clunk in rear passenger suspension when cornering.

Name
    tommie
    Last Online
    26-09-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 1997

Clunk in rear passenger suspension when cornering.

After spending some time getting my car ready for august in UK, I got an hours tracktime this morning, and put it through it paces.
    My local track is in clockwise configuration with lots of 90 degree turns and a few U turns.
    Each time I turned right, I got a positive clunk from the passenger rear. Like as if I had heavy metal in the wheel well. On the few left turns I got no clunking whats so ever.
    The only change I made recently was to replace the exhaust pipe from the cat to the tailpipe, and on inspection everything is good in that area.
    I removed the back wheel and inspected all the suspension links, without any luck.
    Anyone like to give me an idea what Should have checked further.
    All comments and advices will be appreciated.
    Tommie
    old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Is more with a violent change of direction ? If so, it could still possibly be your new exhaust knocking on something. Maybe the hangers are slightly different or the hanger rubbers are soft allowing it to swing more when changing direction. Check along the length of the new zorst for and marks or scuffs where it might have hitting anywhere(driveshaft maybe?)

Wodj

Name
    tommie
    Last Online
    26-09-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 1997

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wodjno View Post
    Is more with a violent change of direction ? If so, it could still possibly be your new exhaust knocking on something. Maybe the hangers are slightly different or the hanger rubbers are soft allowing it to swing more when changing direction. Check along the length of the new zorst for and marks or scuffs where it might have hitting anywhere(driveshaft maybe?)

Wodj
    Thanks Glenn, but I gave the exhaust a thorough visual checking.Then went about pushing the back box hard to one side with my foot and releasing it quickly. It makes a thinny sound as the bracket holding the 2 rubber donuts at the backbox hits of the under floor. Tried this in both directions, it only makes a sound in one direction.
    I took a few passengers out to listen and compare the 2 sounds and each agreed the were completely different.
    On the track sound is a positive clunk, compared to thinny twang from the exhaust.
    Thanks for your imput just the same.
    Tommie

Name
    tommie
    Last Online
    26-09-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 1997

Name
    keith
    Last Online
    08-01-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4 s

all nuts on wheels tight. are all shockers on tight. any suspension bushes on the way out. are your sway bars all tight. thought i would mention all these cause i have banging and knocking from all these parts over the time of having my car.

Name
    tommie
    Last Online
    26-09-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 1997

Quote Originally Posted by hardarse View Post
    all nuts on wheels tight. are all shockers on tight. any suspension bushes on the way out. are your sway bars all tight. thought i would mention all these cause i have banging and knocking from all these parts over the time of having my car.
    Thanks Keith, I tried all the items you listed, without any luck. Seems I'm going to have to get the car to my local mitsu garage.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Something loose in the spare wheel well hitting bodywork on one turn and tyre on other turn.... I've had this

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyFingers

Oops... I gotta start re-reading threads and stop using this cr@patalk
    '97 Legnum VR-4 type S
    DONE - SARD 530cc injectors, SARD AFPR, FMIC, MAP2-ECU, Ralliart air filter & 'Special' MAF, Magnecor leads, NGK 7s, Polyeurethane engine mounts, New lash adjusters, RPW downpipes, Powerflow 3" full de-cat exhaust, Reconditioned turbos, Bespoke AYC gauge, SARD R2D2 BOV, CarPC with EvoScan, Fusion amp & InPhase sub, EBC Turbo grooved & dimpled brake discs, EBC red & green pads, HKS SuperForm Lowering springs, Hydraulic bonnet dampers, Momo steering wheel, Bespoke wideband AFR/Oil pressure gauge thingy, New wiper blades all round!, Amsoiled... woo hoo!
    Growling out 349ft/lb torque, 296 fly HP @ 0.9 bar

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    11-04-2019
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, GTIR, Mini

Its possibly the rear tie bar bushes that are shot...ours makes a similar noise but not too loud...yet!

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

I had an interesting "clunking" issue with my exhaust when I first fitted it. One of the hangers was a little bent and it was pulling the exhaust slightly towards the centre of the car.

Aside from the occasional tinny knock as the poorly placed V-Band coupler hit on the rear sub frame (oops ) there was another issue which made me think I had damaged something.

when the exhaust swung to the left, one of the hangers got close enough to the drive shaft to contact. The drive shaft gripped the hanger and then deformed it until some point where the pressure got so much the hanger basically popped back out with what sounded like a bang.

I spent a lot of time playing with the diff and in the end it was only by accident I was looking along the drive shaft and saw where there was evidence of rubbing on the actual drive shaft. It wasn't at the back of the car, but that is where it sounded like it was coming from.
    Quickly fixed by removing that hanger

If you are getting a consistent noise which sounds like metal on metal, regardless of what it actually is, there should be some marking happening somewhere.
    The only other thing I can think of is that you are getting binding in the suspension somewhere. Could be in the joints, or perhaps in the swap bar links. Or potentially your CV joints, perhaps one is binding as it gets to a certain alignment.

Name
    tommie
    Last Online
    26-09-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 1997

Thanks for your imput guys. The car went to my local mecanic who put it up a 2 poster lift, to have a good look at whats causing it.
    I hope to have the result sometime today.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Sorry, Tommie, missed this the first time round. I have had a similar experience when the track rod bush on the inner end deteriorated. The one with the offset bolt through it that adjusts the rear tracking.

Name
    tommie
    Last Online
    26-09-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 1997

Damn it, despite most of you saying its most likely the exhaust, and me being convinced it was'nt, I have to hold my hands up and say sorry, but looks like you were right.
    A friend of mine got under the car today, and being a big strong b@st@rd he swung out of the the exhaust and managed to get it to knock against rear transmission, making a clunk similar to what I was hearing.
    Thanks again guys.
    Tommie