Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you guys think of this one??

Last Online
    01-06-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    mazda 323

what do you guys think of this one??

Hi

I am looking to buy this galant 2.0 sports and I was wondering what you guys thought of it and whether its worth the £4,399 asking price. its got 63k on the clock .This is my second ever car since im only 20 years old. Any comments would be helpfull.

thank you all.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...=&max_mileage=

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

looks a tidy car, i know my old V6 is up forsale for 800 quid, on pistonheads, reg is Pez something now. i miss that car, if i had the cash and a place to put it id buy it back.
    looks nice, it could be a good price i dont know, only owned the V6s myself,

Last Online
    01-06-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    mazda 323

ok thanx. yer I was looking on pistonhead as well but didnt find anything on der dat i want. i cant afford a 2.5L one because its gonna kill my pokcets with petrol. do you know wat the bhp is on that one because i cant find it nower.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

the 2.5l is actually very similar in consumption to the i4 because the i4 has to pull around such a big car. Lots of V6 2.5 Galants regularly get 30-35mpg

Last Online
    01-06-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    mazda 323

ok kl. is that what that one is called? the i4?

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

i cant stand txt spk, makes its so hard to read.
    if it were me personally i would go V6 you have the power to upset a lot of cars on the road, and i got 36mpg out of mine

edit: and joining the club you get alot and i mean alot of info about the cars, and you get a discount on insurance and amsoil
    double edit: bear in mind if your worried about the cost of running it on the petrol side, i think you should have a scout around and see how much parts are for these. they are described as a luxury saloon without the prestige, when they break which they do, like all cars do, these tend to be expensive, so find a good one
    spark plugs can cost you upto £30 each, you can get cheap ones aswell. 6,500 mile oil and filter change
    clutch will set you back 100 odd quid
    sometimes your gearbox can go, and ive found them to range from £400-£3200
    lowerarms will set you back 115 quid
    that god damn clock, always breaks
    brakes, if your to harsh with them, you will warp the discs in no time, these will set you back about £120+ i prefer to spend the £180 odd on the mitsi discs last longer much better qaulity, pads are about 30-40 quid.

basically, look out for the best one you can afford, check for any knocking sqeauks rattles when driving it, check everything works and i mean everything, buy with your head not your heart. i dont want to put you off buying one, just look around for a really good one that has had a lot of money spent on it very good service history and drives like a new car. made the mistake once, its taken 3k and almost 2 years to get it sorted out. like i say i dont want to put you off buying one, just check everything over, and make sure it is immaculate.
    Last edited by pitslayer; 17-01-2008 at 03:57 AM.

Last Online
    01-06-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    mazda 323

sorry im used to txt writting. kl = cool. I thought this car was v6 24v??? yea but its a little hard to navegate in this site. I cant find the correct information that I need. and second of all I dont even know the model number or anything about this car. hopfully I will do my homework and find out more, but you guys are helping. I will be going to see the car in about a week or so. so hopefully I can get all your suggestion and comments before I buy it.

Last Online
    01-06-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    mazda 323

thanks alot mate, this info is realy helpfull. it sounds ok, the parts for the current car I have now (mazda 323) cost about the same, actuly more, my new cluch set me back £200!!! but its ok because my car has never broken down on me.. EVER!! and its got 137000 on the clock. I love japanese cars.

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

Just as a quickish reply to help you out.

I think we can ignore the VR4 for a while so....

Galants and Galant estates were made from 1996 to 2003 roughly.(I'm only talking about UK here).

There were three engines available. 4 Cylinder 2.0 litre, 4 Cylinder 2.4 litre and V6 2.5 litre.

In terms of fuel consumption between the three, as Brad has said because of the weight of the galant there isnt much difference between the three.

Pitslayer is incorrect on some of his points.

Oil and filter changes are every 9000 miles on the V6.
    The clock breaking is usually a very very easy fix. (you could search on here for the fix)
    I purchased fron and rear discs and pads all round for my V6 for £140. (you can get stuff cheap if you ask on here or look around on the net)
    Gearboxes do go and yes they are expensive, especially for the auto, however providing they are looked after they should be fine.

I have autoboxes on both my V6 and VR4 and after a good fluch with Amsoil I havnt had a single problem with them.

In response to the vehicle you are looking at... looks nice but I would have thought a little overpriced myself.

The biggest reccommendation I can give you is read as much as you can on here and learn as much as you can before you impulse buy a car. Also take a club member with you if you possibly can.

They do go wrong, as all cars do, however I purchased my V6 estate with 85000 on the clock, ive now done 110000 and the only thing to go wrong has been the aircon pump which I got a second hand replacement from a member on here for next to nothing.

If I can help you with anything else just shout,

and welcome
    '07 Satin Black Shogun (Running), '98 Black Legnum VR4 Super (In Storage), '01 2.0 Silver Manual Galant Estate (Daily Driver), '98 Silver Colt (Dead), '97 Trigger Mauve Legnum VR4 Shell (Doner for Super)

Also in the family: '07 Mini Cooper, '05 2.0 Lancer Sport Estate

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

I bought my 2.0GLS when I was 21. Check your insurance rate as they're not desperately cheap cars to insure.

Parts can be silly money. Clutch replacement (inc labour) can run around £450, and it's things that can only be got from mitsubishi that hurt (eg coil pack).

Ignoring the VR4 for now, AofM described the engines for you. A little more on their characters:

2.0 4G63 - Very smooth for a 4 cyl, pretty linear. Happy to rev but you don't have to.
    2.4 4G64GDI - Not as smooth as the 2.0. Doesn't like to rev so much, but it has the most torque of the three, and lower down the range. It's the most economical of the three (although not by an enormous margin unless you live on the motorway). It's pernickety about a lot of things though and the hardest to maintain.
    2.5 6A13 - The smoothest. Again pretty linear. Fuel consumption very similar to the 2.0 unless you lead-foot it around town.

I think £4399 is well over the odds for that car however. I got my 01X 2.4GDI elegance estate with 75k on it for £2450.
    It's been a crazy year, But through all the damage done,
    I have turned and I have learned, To make next year a better one,
    Singing Oh Hallelujah,
    Singing Oh I am home.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Looks liks a good car - I've noticed a few late reg galants coming on AutoTrader in the last week or so...

Following up from what Isaac says about engines - here's a bit about trim.

SPORT models (available in 2.0 and 2.5 V6-24V) weren't available with leather - cloth only. You did get a sunroof with them though which weren't available (not even as an option) on the Classic, Equipe and Elegance. I may be right in thinking the sun roof may have only been available on the Sport on the early models (2001 on an 01 and 51 plate) with the twin front circular spot / fog lights. Plus 2.0 came with manual air con - 2.5 with climate control air con.

Here's what was different on the Classic, Equippe and Elegance models.

CLASSIC & EQUIPPE: manual air con, cloth seats - leather were an option that hardly any new buyers took. Classic is the 2.0 ltr and the Equippe is the same but with the 2.4 GDi engine... Both models came with CD radio.

ELEGANCE: replaces manual air con with cimate control, leather seats as standard and comes with a cassette radio AND 6 disc CD auto changer.

Colours - on the last models from 2001 to 2003 there were black, silver, white and mauve... The Sport models replaced mauve with a lovely deep purple-black colour... lush! You'll find silver and black the most popular.

As an 03 Elegance owner, I plumped for this car because I prefered the leather seats to the 'hard' feeling cloth first and foremost... and the purr of the 2.5 engine is bliss... Reminds me of a VR4 without the turbos and boot! But it does shift! I had a 6 generation Galant before, a 2.0i, and the V6 is a fantastic progression to my third Galant car!

Imports for these cars to the UK stopped autumn 2002 with the Elegance (which only was sold for 11 / 12 months before being pulled)... Any cars on 52 and 03s are the last ones hanging around the dealer network unregistered.

As AcientOfMu says, sign up here as a paid member - it will be the best £20 you'll ever spend - both in researching your buy, and if you get it, as a resource to help you change a light bulb on the car!

Good luck - and ask away any thing that springs to mind!

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Not all Elegance have leather. My GDI Elegance has velour.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Sibson
    Not all Elegance have leather. My GDI Elegance has velour.
    The run out models (shark nosed fronts - 2001 > ) had leather as standard on Elegance models while there were cloth interiors on the Classic 2.0 and 2.4 Equippe GDI as standard - but you could option leather for an aditional cost on these. Sports had cloth as standard with no leather option.

The velour were on the models upto 2000 / 01 - non-shark nose...? There's no velour option / spec on the shark nosed Galants.

Last Online
    01-06-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    mazda 323

wow.. thats a lot to take in.. ermm, well I have checked my insurance and it will be £1,500 (3rd party fire and theft) when i turn 21. which is in about a months time. the thing is I luv the look of this car soo much that the cost of the parts doesnt bother me.

I dont know if I can get some moeny off the car because it a dealership and not a person. I will try tho.

I will join this site properly for £20, thanks for telling me about the benefits.

regading anyone from this forum that can come with me to see it, how should I go about doing that? i live in london

so let me get this clear, the one i want to buy is a 2.0 sport V6 24vaulvs correct?

many thanks

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Almost! 2.0 Sport - which is a 4-cylinder 16v injected engine... 2.5's are the V6-24 valve engines...

Look to lop a max of £500 off the price - maybe realistically £300 - £500 if it was 'briefcase cash' - and that's if there's been no interest in the car and he's desperate to shift it and get his money back...

Be picky on these cars - as they should be well looked after as the majority are bought by individuals for personal use, and are looked after as they are older, serial Galant owners...

I'd love to help you out and pop down as I'm in west London - but i'm doing a mix of overnight and day shifts at the moment into the middle of next week.
    Last edited by HMG1K; 17-01-2008 at 02:49 PM.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by siklid
    wow.. thats a lot to take in.. ermm, well I have checked my insurance and it will be £1,500 (3rd party fire and theft) when i turn 21. which is in about a months time. the thing is I luv the look of this car soo much that the cost of the parts doesnt bother me.

I dont know if I can get some moeny off the car because it a dealership and not a person. I will try tho.

I will join this site properly for £20, thanks for telling me about the benefits.

regading anyone from this forum that can come with me to see it, how should I go about doing that? i live in london

so let me get this clear, the one i want to buy is a 2.0 sport V6 24vaulvs correct?

many thanks
    refering last line of your post,

you are talking about 2 different engines there.

1. 2.0L in line 4 cylinder engine
    2. 2.5L V6 24 Valve engine.

Edit:
    you beat me to the post.

Bye for Now!

Last Online
    01-06-2008
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    mazda 323

oooh ok I was hopeing it will be more powerfull then that. I live in west london as well actuly. I havent actuly set a date to see it yet, I was just planning to go next week. Do you think we could meet up or somtime in west london just to get your view on this car or to help me find another galant thats better.

many thanks
    Last edited by siklid; 17-01-2008 at 02:24 PM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Get an insurance quote on the 2.0 and the 2.5. If it doesn't make much difference, I would go for the 2.5 every time. It is a very smooth engine, with plenty of torque, and you will almost certainly get a few extra toys on it. The MPG doesn't change much between the two.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    Get an insurance quote on the 2.0 and the 2.5. If it doesn't make much difference, I would go for the 2.5 every time. It is a very smooth engine, with plenty of torque, and you will almost certainly get a few extra toys on it. The MPG doesn't change much between the two.
    Ditto - read the reviews of these cars on HonestJohn.co.uk and Parkers and they sing about both of the engines in these cars - but plump for and praise the 2.5's...

Until you turn the key on a 2.5 - and pull away - do you appreciate the purr!

Insurance, as Nick says, between the 2.0 and 2.5s isn't much.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by siklid
    oooh ok I was hopeing it will be more powerfull then that. I live in west london as well actuly. I havent actuly set a date to see it yet, I was just planning to go next week. Do you think we could meet up or somtime in west london just to get your view on this car or to help me find another galant thats better.

many thanks
    Certainly - PM me anytime and we can go from there.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast