27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yeah Gowf has woken up and entered the real world where money exists, so the liner must go to fund his VR4 habbit. Il be in touch at the start of the week Ben

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Sorry to be a complete dunder head guys being new to the technical world of turbo tweaking, I'm getting a handle on what does what.

Now my plans are for 320 flywheel with increased torque...... The car is stock ATM but will have a K&N panel filter and a 2.5" de cat zorst very soon.

If I buy one of these what else will I need to get to attain my goals? I like frightening Beemers but want to really frighten them, but not lose mpg (too much) and tractability as it will be my daily driver.

I would want Ben to fit it etc and need to do sums...... any help appreciated guys, if you could give me a clue as too what I would need to complete as I'd do the lot in one hit.

Cheers in advance.
    Tim

New toy at www.2into.co.uk/rumrunner

MX5 05 Launch Edition 2.0 It's RED with extra tweaks
    Legnum VR4 1997 Type S 320PS 2.5 SOLD
    Mazda MX5 1990 1??PS 1.6 SOLD
    Ex Mazda RX8 2006 231PS 1.3 - Sold - and will be sadly missed

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Potentially, nothing.

I'll let Ben give the technical advice properly, but my understanding is that the MAP ECU 2 is capable of controlling boost and fuelling, and now can remove fuel cut as well. IMO with an exhaust, that should be plenty to get you to a reliable and safe 320. There could be potential for a good bit more, but you would need more fuelling available, so a minimum of uprated pump and fpr.

The MAP 2 may be overkill for 320 bhp, but with its ability to keep fuel cut in check and its ability to control boost, it could work out cheaper than buying seperate components for fuel cut defence, boost and fuelling.

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Nick thanks, I was wondering that myself. You know how it is 320 is the start and then the devil gets you.......

If that is the case I'm in for MAP2........ and a session with Ben god I love this car.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Heh! I'll wait for you to check if you are happy and confirm before I add you to the list. Still a month to go before we need to get cash to Ben!

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

Do we have to pay cash?? Or can these units be purchased with a credit card? (then i wouldnt have to pay for it til april!)
    '97 EVO 4 GSR

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

I'll wait for Ben to reply, but i've read the spec Map 2 and with my limited knowledge can't see to much extra I'd need. Some guages with memory (defi) uprated pump and as you say fpr.

It's looking as a goer so far but Ben your words are eagerly awaited. Slightly off topic: I'm getting my custom exhaust built friday in 2.5" this should be good up to 350HP I presume, if not I'll go 3".

Answers on a postcard/forum..... sorry to keep asking but the tuning bug has hit me

Back on topic.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Matt - pretty sure cards are accepted. Certainly we are paying VAT on top of the price! Tim - like I said, just let me know.....

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

Hello fellas, nice- just hold on i will answer your questions either later tonight, or in the morning- a bit manic here just now and i'm hobling round with me broken leg......!

Matt, yes we can do card or cheque etc.

Cheers,

Ben.

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Thanks Ben........ no rush I've got until next month........... I'm out for the night so as I say no rush.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm sitting here nursing my leg now! I just stepped on it full weight trying to crack a really tight wheel nut loose! F'kin ay that hurt!

Right the map 2 gives you fuel, ignition, and boost control, with 2 independant maps for each. (so you can have kind of normal and performance if you see what i mean.)

Until now the FCD function has been limited to one of the channels you had to use for fuel control in KVF mode, so you couldnt clamp the signal other than by using the main fuel table. The new release firmwear has twin channel FCD, so this should enable it to be used depending on other parts of configuration (ie what output you use for launch control and what for map switching). I am working my way through the new release notes, but everything is taking me 3 times as long now since i can only hobble! The office is upstairs, the workshop is down etc etc. I can still smoke fags at the same speed though.

So bottom line i dont want to say 100% the FCD will function out of the box because i havent yet confirmed it.

The new release also does have some other nice bits in it, for example, you can force a fuel cut if certain circumstances occur. EG, say if you have wideband you can set it to fuel cut if afr exceeds a threshold value AND if boost exceeds a threshold value. This means say if boost exceeds 10psi and afr is higher than say 13, you can force a fuel cut. That is a much better logic for a cut than the 'oooh i see lots of air, fuel cut' that the stock ecu does, particularly so in the 3500-4500 spot where the map is super rich and the turbos are in there sweet spot.

Pottentially that will let you run the main fuel tables leaner safe in the knowledge that you arent dissabling the fuel cut totally.

If you see what i mean, its kind of another way to skin the same cat.

320 atf is achievable at the fly with a map2, certainly we have cars out there with that kind of power running anything from 0.8 to 1 bar.

Support wise you dont really need that much. A decent exhaust and bear in mind that you will need some sort of intake pipe fabbing up, so something like a K&N mushroom is a good way to go. Since you loose the maf, your fitment for an induction kit totaly changes.

Good supporting mods if you are gona push the car would be a decent fmic, because when you up the boost the turbos really start to push hot air, so something to help that is good. If you go to bigger injectors then i would be looking at a fuel pump (hotwired) and a good FPR to cope with them.

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

Sorry- i also should have added to properly monitor whats going on (or to self tune) you are going to need at least wide band and knock detection. If you are really gonna push the car, think about maybe EGT too.

Defi make some excellent guages, but no wideband. I would go plx for wideband, knock link for knock, or the exccellent but not cheap (£500 + Vat) new Hks Knock amp which also gives you wideband and a sexy display thing. Its just out, came in our dealer bulletin this week and it looks the danglies!

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

I was able to get just over 320 (estimated ATF based on the usual calculations) in my 2002 VR-4 with the following mods:

1) 600x300x76 FMIC attached to standard pipework
    2) MAF mod (winding out the adjustment screw)
    3) 2.5" down pipes
    4) 2.5" decat
    5) 3" cat-back exhaust
    6) LC-1 wideband set to run 15.2 afr closed loop.
    7) TRE fuel pump. (though I made the same power on standard pump)

I then added a MBC and ran 15 PSI at 3000RPM. Max power was still around 320bhp, but it was attained at 4750RPM and pretty much flat lined to 5750RPM.

Last Online
    07-04-2008
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    1998 legnum v-spec

how much more power dus it give

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by h82loz
    how much more power dus it give
    How long is a piece of string?

It depends on what other mods you have and how well it's tuned.

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Ben

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, so for a base line set up to say 300hp them it's induction toob/filter with wideband (PLX) Knock link. Then it's just a case of re mapping to 320 - 350hp. The HKS doofah could be a possibility in the next couple of months....... saving hard.

There was a figure of £400 ish banded about for you to fit and tune? is that sort of correct? ish! I'd want the plug in loom as well as I may want to swap the car in a couple of years to a facelift and put the kit on that, so plug and play almost. A 2.5" exhaust should suffice to 350HP then?

Nick - I'm convinced add me to the list with wiring harness.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Tim - added you to the list but not sure what the plan is for the wiring harness? Ben, can you supply those too?

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

We can get the harnesses, they are about £95, but i have to order them in from the US.

The fit/set up is a bit of a how long is a bit of string question and it depends on how much of it you want set up and configured. If you wanted a full feature install, ie launch control, dual maps, shift lights, fuel cut etc, sure its gonna be more, but you can get it in the car with the boost, fuel, timing etc set up and the launch control for the £400-£425 mark, plus any hardware you might need like patch harnesses if you want it and your intake pipe etc.

The big ticket items are the dual maps- because its 2 complete set of maps.

Cheers,

Ben.

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Ben.... Cheers.

A baseline set up as your second suggestion - harness, boost, fuel timing, not sure about launch control (do I need it?Tiptronic) fuel cut would be one I'm interested in. PLX etc can be added later I presume? do you need a 2nd map?

I'm just looking to make the car up to 320-350fhp and more torque to start. If I want stupid hp then it would have to be a skyline.

I'll talk to you when they're ordered to finalise a figure....cheers

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Bump bump.........

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast