Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Question Profec E-01- Correct setup after big peak

Ok so it's been a really nice day here today, warm and sunny but cool air. I brought the car back the usual route and it on the Autobahn, as it shifted into 5th there was a slight pause followed by one or two more but no drastic fuel cut. When I finally slowed down on the slip road I noticed the peak boost had shot up to 1.23 bar which is way above anything I have ever had (previous max was .91bar). The car only has the Profec E-01 and a Greddy Hard Rad Pipe so I figured this was pretty good considering but the thought of it cutting concerns me . I have a couple of Qs therefore:

Why would I suddenly get sush a hike despite weeks of doing the same thing with no changes?

Can anyone please give a definitive guide to how best to set up the Profec E-01 as I am not even sure the settings I have are right/safe?

If I get an E-Manage Blue will this resolve the fuelling problems anyway and make it safer (as long as correctly setup)?

Can someone please explain the reson for fuel cut so I am absoloutely clear on the matter?

Thanks
    Lee
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

feul cut is well discussed in other threads, but simple terms the car does not like the load cell it is in and cut fuel to prevent serious damage , the problem is too much fueld cut can cause damage

fifth gear is always a heavy gear and can induce fuel cut as the load cell you in can be well outside the safe zone for it , ie 1.1 bar at 3000 rpm is well beyond what the ecu thinks is safe

fuel cut is simple to deal with , take you right foot off and easy back a little , do not keep pushing it will go pop pop bang wallop

suggest you jot down your settings and someone with one can compare the settings to theres

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Thanks John, I'll get them tomorrow and compare notes. I do tend to back off when it starts and then ease it back up but it only seems to do it for a second then it's fine. I was shocked when I saw the peak and wished I had read the instructions on logging runs. I may check it out tomorrow daytime and record the run home tomorrow.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

i have had real bad cut before now and thought the engine had droped onto the road ,but she's still running only with no fuel cut now

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 coming soon

Good question that, with my new Profec E-01, I've been experiencing similar.

I'm a little bit confused though, as I was always under the impression that 'fuel cut' felt like hitting a brick wall, i.e. "OMFG WTF was that!?!?!".

What I'm getting though, is what I would consider a slight pause, almost like it just stops accelerating, and then carries on if I keep my foot on the loud pedal. A bit of a murmur if anything.

It only happens if I'm booting it from low down in the rev range. If I'm redlining it from 1st to 5th, it's never an issue. But, low revs, say in 3rd at about 1500 rpm, boot it, and when I hit around 3000-3500 it stutters, and then carries on to redline very happily.

Reading into the history of my car, RitchW experienced similar without boost controller, and it was down to mucked up fuel filter - the teabag one that hangs off of the pump. I'm tempted to check the state of this filter, and maybe just replace the pump if it is easier.

It just doesn't feel like what everyone describes as fuel cut. If you have any more information/findings, please pass them on.

Cheers

Tim

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

OK so it's not repeated itself but I did remember to get the current settings :

Set = 45%
    Gain = 11
    Start = 0.56

I normally hit around .85 to .90 bar with this setting and I'm still looking for info on the correct way to configure it. I have managed to get it to record a run but can't work out how to get the data back from it.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Tim what you describe is closer to hesitation than fuel cut

This can be caused by quite a few things but when i had it is was due to sparkplugs

Lee will download the manual and translate those figures into english , or I'm sure wodjyes will be along at some point with comments as he has one

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

I downloaded the english version of the manual but there's just too much info. I just remembered though that I have bought the additional harness for the Profec E-01 so I can wire it to a few sensors if need be.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Fuel cut hurts.
    I'd suggest you either had a slight misfire....or the the engine pulled timing due to knock.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

With BP Ultimate 100 I hope not? I wonder if at 1.23 bar the fuel pump was struggling to cope. I have reset the ECU whilst fitting the new lamps so I will see if the car feels different as it's the first time since I moved over here and onto the 100 fuels.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Have you got any datalogging capability Lee?

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Kieran, the E-01 logs the boost/RPM but I have nothing else right now. I'm looking at the e-manage which would help, however, with the vets fees I can't afford it.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

I don't think you'd need that expensde just yet Lee - A simple USB Diag cable and a copy of EVOScan would help. This would allow you to see your knock levels, ignition timing and such.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

I think I shall invest in that! The car goes like stink in 1-3 its just the top of 4th and 5th it stutters but only twice out of 20+ runs.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Definitely sounds like it's load related, Lee: you might be right on the fuel-pump theory, esp at 1.23Bar! Of course, the alternative is that your spark is getting snuffed at that sort of boost level.
    Weak fuel pump will definitely give you detonation through running lean.....be careful!

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Thanks for the info, I have the unit set to a maximum 1 bar in the options but it obviously doesn't cut itself at that point. I'll try and keep the load off for now and spend some time learning how to do playbacks of the runs.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Lee, not sure how you've defeated your fuel cut, but it might be worth adjusting your fuel cut defender so it cuts at 1.1Bar if you don't trust the Profec.

Also, might be worth turning the gain down (er...or up..can't remember which way round it is on the Greddys) which may stop you getting on boost quite as quickly, but is a worthy sacrifice to knock off the spiking.

BTW...nice colour...same as mine

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Steve,

I don't have a cut defender as far as I know it's just a setting in the Profec that I now think only alerts you.
    I have turned the gain up slightly as I was advised this would stop the boost dropping off at high RPM in order to protect from fuel-cut. Will investigate again.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Forgot to post a pic of where I have mounted the unit, will be making a surround that uses the old clock fixings.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee
    Steve,

I have turned the gain up slightly as I was advised this would stop the boost dropping off at high RPM.
    Are you not using the RPM OFFSET facility ?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast