Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Glenn, If I knew how to set it up to use that properly I would be using it.

If I consider what has been posted in Mark's thread, here, then I am only aiming for a boost of 0.40 bar but it starts working at 0.56bar which is completely wrong.
    In theory if I want 0.9bar I should set it to SET=90, GAIN=0 and START=0.69 initially with a tweak to the GAIN setting as needed. However surely this is way too high on the SET and START? Then I need to work out the RPM offsets, how?
    I think the problem with all of these guides is a lack of examples against what is stated. The other problem is the different units that can be used on the unit and what is used in the guides.
    I should have a bit of time this weekend and 100 litres of fuel available so I may have to start testing, I just don't want to blow the whole thing up by setting it wrong.

Thanks for highlighting the RPM offset though, if it works then I suppose it's another reason why the Greddy may be difficult to set-up initially but worth it in the end.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    12-03-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

Thanks for highlighting the RPM offset though, if it works then I suppose it's another reason why the Greddy may be difficult to set-up initially but worth it in the end.

I totally agree with this, it is fiddly but definitely worth it in the end. Glenn helped me to understand mine ands set it up. Keep playing and eventually the penny will drop and you will have mastered it.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Glenn,

Would you be able to provide some insight into the RPM offset side of things? I am re-writing the document Mark found to relate more closely to our cars and include the E-01 as it has more facilities than the B Spec II reffered to.

Will the RPM offset reduce problems with the difference between high and low gears or is this inevitable?

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee
    Glenn,

Would you be able to provide some insight into the RPM offset side of things? I am re-writing the document Mark found to relate more closely to our cars and include the E-01 as it has more facilities than the B Spec II reffered to.

Will the RPM offset reduce problems with the difference between high and low gears or is this inevitable?
    Sorry Lee..

I was gonna write in depth easy to follow instructions on how to set up the e-01 the other night but then i got side tracked

I would steer clear of the RPM offset for the Mo.. We need to get you stable boost throughout the rev range and in all gears..

You need to be setting the e-01 up in 3rd or preferably 4th gear. And with you having some nice big long roads near by where you live you should be able to get some runs in 4th.. If not 3rd will be ok for now

I would start with an initial SET point of 35, this should give you around 12 to 13 psi.. Start with an initial point at 20. Log a run from around 1500rpm in 3rd gear, take it all the way to the redline, limiter if you can. Pull over and playback your log.. You will then get a good idea of what boost level and how fast your boost is coming on and what type if any? of a boost spike you get.. It's taking it back to basics but it's the best way to get the best out of the e-01 and our cars Turbs

The E-01 does have an Auto Set-up Mode, but with our small Turbo's the E-01 won't complete the Set-up.. So thats why we have to use the Manual Set-up... I'm glad in a way, because you get to play with the E-01 more, and you have a better, and more complete understanding of Boost and Our cars..

Any more questions.. Just hit me with them.. I'll stay with you to the end on this 1, and hopefully by the end of it, we'll have an in depth enough thread for me to rip it to pieces and do a comprehensive write up for the E-01

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Updated reference doc.

Glenn,

Thanks for the info, I'll follow your instructions and report back.

I have remade the document Mark posted in the other thread and attached it here. Hopefully it can be some use and we can develop it.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

OK so this morning I found out I've been driving around with one of my tyres running the wrong way. The tyres had been done before I bought it and I don't know how I never noticed it but the driver's front has the inside mark on the outside of the tyre.
    Whilst I have been drivng the car hard on many occasions completely unaware I am not going to willingly take the chance on it going, especially as the inner edge (should be outside) is bald so I can't even turn it round happily.
    I'm loking for new wheels now so the only driving wil lbe steady rate to the auto shops in order to see what the wheels look like against the car.
    Will update the thread as soon as I do some more tests.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Quote Originally Posted by WODJNO
    Sorry Lee..
    I would start with an initial SET point of 35, this should give you around 12 to 13 psi.. Start with an initial point at 20. Log a run from around 1500rpm in 3rd gear, take it all the way to the redline, limiter if you can. Pull over and playback your log.. You will then get a good idea of what boost level and how fast your boost is coming on and what type if any? of a boost spike you get.. It's taking it back to basics but it's the best way to get the best out of the e-01 and our cars Turbs
    Glenn, could you confirm which of the settings you recommend at an initial point of 20, I'm guessing GAIN but it seems a little high to me.
    Have put my current settings on the Hi part and I'm using the Lo to play. Drove in this morning as we need both cars today and I currently have it at
    SET = 35
    GAIN = 10
    START = 8psi

Will edit this post later once I have had the tyre doneand reviewed the playback

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Did a little run on the way into work and my peak is 11.3psi with the above settings. I've recorded the whole journey into work from the end of my road so I can see anything untoward, now I know how to play it back it's fantastic to watch. Will check for boost drop-off and adjust accordingly before the run home tonight.

EDIT (12:30CET): OK so I ran a small test on the way back from getting the tyre sorted, 4th gear from 1750RPM to approx 4000rpm WOT. I peaked at 11.5psi with a small amount of decrease after the peak. Have upped the GAIN to 15% and will try again on the way home.
    Last edited by Beastlee; 27-02-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

OK, so I did a run on the Autobahn as best I could, unfortunately it was staggered as some German lass decided to make sure I couldn't pull out and then slowed down once I was behind her.
    Below is the 3rd gear pull from approx 1750 rpm, you can see the staggered acceleration(shows boost and RPM):

Below is the picture of a quick blip in 4th gear :

Both show minor degredation of the boost over the RPM, I have added another 1% to the GAIN(now 16%) to see if it fixes that. I did notice it seemed to level out all the time at 10psi when I booted it which looked odd but didn't reappear on the playback.
    Glenn, do you have any comments on this?

PS. What I felt with the boost spike felt just like hitting the limiter did today, perhaps I had just held 3rd too long that day

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    12-03-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

Thumbs up

Stick with it Lee, Glenn will get you there.

I found it all very confusing at first but after fiddling with the boost over the winter as air temp and therefore density has been fluctuating I am starting to understand a little better.

For instance, I know that my best setting in the summer months is Set:42 Gain: 38 Start:11.5.

But during the colder months I have been usinf Set:35 Gain33 Start 12.

Currently I am running Set:45 Gain:35 Set:12.

What you need to focus on is getting the boost as high as you are comfortable with and consistent. Not boosting all the way through the rev range because it is bound to fall away.

Then you will move on to the rpm offset to maintain the boost all the way through the rev range. And possibly - as I have done - use negative settings to avoid the fuel/boost cut spots. For example at 4000 rpm I have my RPM offset at minus 5. This gets me passed the main fuel cut point and boost then increases to 1 bar at 5000 rpm all the way to 7000 rpm.

As I say stick with it and Glenn is your man when it comes to the E01

Cheers
    Mark.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Mark,
    thanks for the vote of encouragement, I'm sure it will come good in the end.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Mark, do you still have the uprated fuel pump and FPR you had in the classifieds?

Glenn, I did another run and I seem to be having an initial peak of 12psi but it immediately drops to 10psi and slowly decreases to about 9.3psi over the full 4th gear range. I have the current recording on the unit and can make a small vid clip if it helps, it'll probably be quite a big file though.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Right... From what i can see.. The main reason for your spike would be the 8psi Start.. Your only boosting to a Tad over 10psi, so the Start is to close to the Overall Boost your tryinging to achieve..

Try this.. Set 44.. Gain 24 and Start 10psi.. These are based on the figures you have already tested with..

Hopefully you should be achieving around 1 bar boost, and just a little spike, if any ?

Give it a run at that and report back.. Try to get a full run to the redline without any staggers.. If you can only achieve it in 3rd, that will be OK.. At least we'll have a full log to look at.. We'll then get a good idea of how the boost is holding up and where we need to start adjusting the RPM Offset..

Oh ! Nearly forgot ? Check in your settings on the E-01 that you haven't got the Boost Limiter Set to Low.. I would switch it off altogether for now ! Or at least stick it up to around 17psi, so it doesn'tget in the way of testing.. This could be what you felt, that you originally thought was Fuel Cut, but now think may have been Rev Limeter.. It could have been the E-01 cutting the boost..

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Glenn, it's not spiking as such, just peaks initially and then drops a little like a nipple on the graph then it's fairly flat through the range.
    I don't really want to push it to 1bar at the moment as at .9 I was getting a little bit of fuel cut. It peaks at 12-12.6 psi at the moment and settels tot he 10 psi. I'll tweak it more toward what you suggest but surely 10pis start is closer to the target than the 8psi was?
    The boost limiter was set to 13psi which it has never reached but I'll nudge it up slightly.

I can post as many pics as you like of the graphs and I have one vid already and can get more, the bandwidth is where it falls down. I will try another 4th gear run but the roads are normally too busy during the times I can get out for testing which causes problems. I'll try and do a 2 way run, once in 3rd then another in 4th, and I'll go a little further toward Holland where the road is quieter.

Thanks

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee
    Glenn, it's not spiking as such, just peaks initially and then drops a little like a nipple on the graph then it's fairly flat through the range.
    I don't really want to push it to 1bar at the moment as at .9 I was getting a little bit of fuel cut. It peaks at 12-12.6 psi at the moment and settels tot he 10 psi. I'll tweak it more toward what you suggest but surely 10pis start is closer to the target than the 8psi was?
    The boost limiter was set to 13psi which it has never reached but I'll nudge it up slightly.

I can post as many pics as you like of the graphs and I have one vid already and can get more, the bandwidth is where it falls down. I will try another 4th gear run but the roads are normally too busy during the times I can get out for testing which causes problems. I'll try and do a 2 way run, once in 3rd then another in 4th, and I'll go a little further toward Holland where the road is quieter.

Thanks
    From the graphs you show .. It only shows a peak a tad over 10 ? Thats what i have based my figures on ? But if your getting peaks of 13 and then levelling down to 10psi, then it's deffo your start boost thats to high.. If you up your Set to 40-42 you should be able to leave the start at 8psi.. Otherwise i'd drop it 1 or 2 psi at the Set figures you have now.. The Gain seems ok for now..

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Ok, I had adjusted since the posted graphs hence the newer figures. Will try amending as you mention.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

OK, I had a go on the way home and surprise surprise the German drivers decided to ensure I couldn't pull out then slowed in front of me messing up the first run. I upped the SET slightly and dropped the START a little too before this run.
    Again you can see the little lump then it levels at slightly less:

At what I assume is the limiter it cuts for a split second then raises further then I shift cause it seems too dangerous.

Then I managed to get a WOT run but unfortunately only from 2600RPM but at least it gets to the limiter (I think again).

I had planned to go back out for some runs tonight but the snow and the fact Heidi offered a bottle of the finest Rose wine at dinner put paid LOL.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Looks pretty good.. What were the Levels of Set/Gain/Start ??

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

SET = 40
    GAIN = 16
    START = 7.5

I have upped the SET to 42 this morning, do think I should add a little more gain for now?
    I'm hoping to add the extra harness at the weekend, it should let me show throttle position and speed. Hopefully the throttle pos. will be of some use.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

SET = 45
    GAIN = 20
    START = 9

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast