Thread: Metal on metal

Last Online
    19-05-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Galant VRG GDI

Exclamation Metal on metal

So the other week, my left front whell had what can only be described as a metal on metal sound coming from the brakes. It went away after about 200mtrs everytime I was drving.
    It soon got alot worse and was occuring more often. I found out the way to stop the noise was to pull over to the side of the road and press the brakes on full.

Driving tonight to the local KFC, I tried again to use the brakes to stop the noise but it nolonger works.

So tomorrow i'm going to to take of the wheel and have a look at the brakes etc,

Thing is, I don't think its the pad as it doesn't make the noise as I am braking, so it doesn't seem like the pad is worn thru. It sems to me like something is rubbing on the rotor.

However, could it be worse and be a wheel bearing?
    But then why would it stop with braking?

Anyone have any idea on what I should be looking for?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

It could be a bearing. But my first investigation would always be the brakes. Often the force of clamping the pad to the disc quietens down the metal to metal contact, which returns as you stop braking. The rubbage then disappears over the next few cycles of the wheel, as any friction remaining nudges the pad away from the disc.

If the pads do prove to be alright, then you need to be investigating the bearing next, as you suggest. With the wheel off the ground, grab the top and bottom and try and wobble the wheel. If you can feel movement then there is a very high chance that the bearing is worn. Also try spinning the wheel and feeling/listening for any strange movement or noise.

Let us know what you find!

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

Its deffo not the warning bracket telling you the pad is getting low? That normally makes a whistling sound of metal on metal
    '97 EVO 4 GSR

Name
    Nikola
    Last Online
    15-10-2018
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    It could be a bearing. But my first investigation would always be the brakes. Often the force of clamping the pad to the disc quietens down the metal to metal contact, which returns as you stop braking. The rubbage then disappears over the next few cycles of the wheel, as any friction remaining nudges the pad away from the disc.

If the pads do prove to be alright, then you need to be investigating the bearing next, as you suggest. With the wheel off the ground, grab the top and bottom and try and wobble the wheel. If you can feel movement then there is a very high chance that the bearing is worn. Also try spinning the wheel and feeling/listening for any strange movement or noise.

Let us know what you find!
    this is all sound advice but i would also inspect the caliper as that would be my first port of call after the pad as this may be sticking, i have had this problem my self on my 200sx

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Quote Originally Posted by orionn2o
    Its deffo not the warning bracket telling you the pad is getting low? That normally makes a whistling sound of metal on metal
    yup, that'd be my guess

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

In one of my past vehicles, a 1987 Opel Kadett, had a stuffed wheel bearing. The screeching was horrific and sent massive vibrations through the car. The wheel hub was also hot to the touch.

Last Online
    19-05-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Galant VRG GDI

Well I think orionn2o might have actually been right. I do believe it was the warning bracket. I had a look, turned the wheel around, took the wheel off, had another look and scratched my head a bit. I found out the source was the odd U shapped thing on the inside pad rubbing against the rotor. Confirm this is the warning bracket?
    I've only had my mitsi about 6 months and still learning about the car, and general car maintainance in general.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

yup thats the tricky little begger, break it off and you'll get another couple of thousand miles out of the pads.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by psbarham
    yup thats the tricky little begger, break it off and you'll get another couple of thousand miles out of the pads.

Some people are soooo tight!!
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Quote Originally Posted by TAR
    Some people are soooo tight!!
    yeh , thats why my 110 quid pads don't have them

the ones on my rover touched when there was 7 mm of pad left, and the standard galant ones leave about 5, so you might as well get your moneys worth out of the bleeders