Thread: cant work it out

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

cant work it out

So i have had this wierd problem with my car.
    fitted new tyres to the front, drove off, steering wheel was wonky...got tracking done, and steering wheel centered...drove off, steering wheel wonky again.....then I had the abs/tcl fault come up, and a vibrating on the edge of the front right tyre....got tyres rebalanced.....still there, steering wheel stilly wonky....
    Fitted new brakes, checked everything was good suspension wise....
    then 2 days ago on a hard left corner, the car got to a point where it felt like the front wing was trying to fall over the wheel.....
    So today check it all out, swap tyres front to back, take it out....steering wheel dead center, no wobble, but now handles like a boat(rack ends have gone and trackrod ends)
    How the hell does a set of tyres throw the steering wheel of center cause vibrations, and generally feel unsafe, get teh tracking done, still same problem, put the GSD3`s back on the front...problem solved?????
    I cant work it out

btw if you want a great tyre for getting the back end on a leggy in the dry accelleras they were cheap but i only had 100 quid to buy tyres with, either 100 quid on crap tyres or 6 points for the front two...

Name
    Robert
    Last Online
    21-07-2021
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Skoda Superb

Sounds like a wheel is buckeled, but would have thought that the balancing would have shown that up.

Might be work a check.

Or something stuck to the back of the wheel where it sits on the hub, as the tire balancer has a shaft that fits though the center hole and the inside of the wheel does not come into play.
    If not
    "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."
    Kurt Cobain

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

but then shirley i would feel the vibrations through the rear, but im not it makes no logical sense

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

who's shirley and what has she done to your car?

Still here somewhere........

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by miller
    who's shirley and what has she done to your car?
    Ladies and Gentlemen I present Mike, this evening's : winner!!

Not sure what to make of your problem Kyle...

I am wondering (particularly with your 'tuck in' comment if there's a balljoint that looks okay but that's siezed up. You can't really tell this by looking and tweaking with a pry bar - Might be worth checking that out.

You have a different set of tyres on each axle, that can upset the handing. And if they're really crap tyres, or have some manufacturing defect, perhaps that is it?

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

I had the wheels of earlier tugged pulled on everything suspension wise on the front end, there is a track rod end that could do with changing, but ball joints seem ok, getting no horrible knocking from them....What I cant figure out though is, why it happens with one set of tyres and not the other, they are all 225/50/zr16s both sets are directional V tread....
    What i mean with regards to the tuck in....your taking a fairly long sharpish left hand bend, as you start to straighten up exiting the corner, it feels like the wheel is trying to fold in underneath the car, but very briefly then it sorts itself out.....
    what I just dont get is how a set of tyres that have been balanced twice, set the steering wheel seriously off center, cause a really bad vibration which I can only describe as the car running on the outside of the tyre, show no uneven wear at all, yet are fine on the rear, and F1s on the front fix this problem....how when i get the tracking done, they center the steering wheel yet it gos back wonky again
    for reference, this was taking on a private road(not by me of course) you can see straight road, car going in straight line yet steering wheel

Im thinking defective tyre but then there would be uneven tyre wear, so that suggest mechanical fault, but why do F1s from the rear fix this problem???

edit: I am slightly releaved this is sort of fixed or i was facing about £700 on parts to fix it all

Name
    Dale
    Last Online
    15-09-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Mazda6,EG Civic

Omfg!!!!!
    I'm not arguing...I'm just offering an endless series of contrary points of view.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

one of your tyres is on backwards.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

they arent on backwards i made sure the garage put them on correctly with the V grooves going to the rear off the car

no the tyres are on correct, and V grooves point the right way, unless there is some other type of "on backwards" i dont know about (that isnt ment to come across as sarcastic as it reads, genuine question

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i wouldn't go off the tread to determin direction.

there will be a direction indicator on the side wall of the tyre, just to make sure you haven't got both tyres on the wrong way.

i know you are not stuid and i am trying to teach you to suck eggs, but it is worth checking. just to rule it out for good.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

omfg you've got that ugly steering wheel and tan leather. Did you steal Adrian?

This is going to sound strange, but when you do have the possibly messed up tyres on the rear, does the passenger side front seat wobble and bounce about?

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Tramlining maybe? very common for it to feel all different when new shoes go on all round?

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Dave will check the direction arrow but im pretty sure they are correct way around

Brad I believe you mean i have that lovely steering wheel.. But no nothing vibrates at all with them on the rear

Miller I would love to say yes it could be tram lining, but its not

60mph plus on a slight left hand bnd the front driverside tyre would vibrate, on what i could only discribe as running right on the outer edge of the tyre, and vibrates through the whole car....

Something has gone wrong, as i think its put excessive wear on my rack ends, as my steering is a bit wavey now

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Right just taken car back to the garage, the right hand side tracking was 11degrees out, so buggered rack ends and track rod ends...still very wierd how that occured, on a downside though, my steering wheel is now cock eyed to the left